All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    im a big fan of the supershelter. I think the underpad is great.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Insulation is the dirty little secret of hammocking. Yeah, you dropped $200 for your new toy--- and you have more to go to get a warm shelter of it.

Pads inside the hammock are light and simple, but not as comfy as a smooth fabric surface. The 24" wide Walmart foam pads work better. It takes a little practice to get in and keep the pad in the right place. If you Hennessy is a bottom entry model, it is more of a wrestling match.

You can buy an undercover from 2QZQ for $35 and the OCF pad from Hennessy for $35 and save a bunch. 2QZQ makes the undercover in ripstop or silnylon. There should be less condensation with the ripstop.

I had PuckerFactor make a hoodless poncho for me that doubles as an undercover. I use that with the Hennessy pad, or a concoction of space blankets and garbage sacks called a Garlington Insulator. See http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm

See my versions at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36298 and http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36337

From there, you start laying out the dollars of an underquilt. There is no free lunch!

Much improvement last night, but can't say comfortable yet.
    Here's a pic of the setup.
    I guess a pad in the hammock is not optimal.

ARE THERE ANY HANGS IN MY AREA???
    It may benefit me to see a few hack (hang) setups first hand and lessen my learning curve.

Ken in the mountains of NC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by snwcmpr; 08-29-2011 at 11:36.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Much improvement last night, but can't say comfortable yet.
    Here's a pic of the setup.
    I guess a pad in the hammock is not optimal.

ARE THERE ANY HANGS IN MY AREA???
    It may benefit me to see a few hack setups first hand and lessen my learning curve.

Ken in the mountains of NC
    NC is a very popular hanging state. speer and tttg and wilderness logics are there. post in the hangout planning section and see if you can get someone to show you the ropes
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Insulation is the dirty little secret of hammocking. Yeah, you dropped $200 for your new toy---
    I got it at REI garage sale for 60.00

You can buy an undercover from 2QZQ for $35 and the OCF pad from Hennessy for $35 and save a bunch. 2QZQ makes the undercover in ripstop or silnylon. There should be less condensation with the ripstop.
    Tim replied to my query and said the UP may not hold a pad well without altering it to attach to the hammock
    Quoted:
    To answer your question:
    The UQP is designed to keep the UQ clean and conserve some warmth by
    providing wind resistance to the UQ. It won't hold much weight as it is
    made to fit loosely on the UQ. It is held in place by the shock cording
    attached to the hammock suspension.
    I suppose you could get creative and figure out a way to attach the sides
    to the hammock, but it may be a chore.

I had PuckerFactor make a hoodless poncho for me that doubles as an undercover.
    I have a poncho I don't use I can try to alter. I have about 40 ft of shock cord.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    I got it at REI garage sale for 60.00

Tim replied to my query and said the UP may not hold a pad well without altering it to attach to the hammock
    Quoted:
    To answer your question:
    The UQP is designed to keep the UQ clean and conserve some warmth by
    providing wind resistance to the UQ. It won't hold much weight as it is
    made to fit loosely on the UQ. It is held in place by the shock cording
    attached to the hammock suspension.
    I suppose you could get creative and figure out a way to attach the sides
    to the hammock, but it may be a chore.

I have a poncho I don't use I can try to alter. I have about 40 ft of shock cord.
    I have both a SS and a 2/3 length UQ. I prefer the SS. The Uq seems to distort the lay of the hammock, and I can feel preasure under my legs where it ends. If I loosen it up to get rid of the preasure/constriction of the hammock it is too loose, and I have cold spots. I also toss and turn a lot while sleeping, and I have had the UQ snap over to one side leaving me uninsulated. I will keep playing with it(it could just be me), but for now the SS is my insulation of choice. I have been down into the low 30's, stayed warm, and have not suffered from any of the condensation issues others have had.

The pad that comes with the SS, the one Dale was talking about, is not like a regular sleeping pad. It is a very soft, open cell foam that conforms to the hammock when you lay in it. This is probably why the vendors are telling you that their "undercover" will not work with a pad.

Ragnall

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    I have both a SS and a 2/3 length UQ. I prefer the SS. The Uq seems to distort the lay of the hammock, and I can feel preasure under my legs where it ends. If I loosen it up to get rid of the preasure/constriction of the hammock it is too loose, and I have cold spots. I also toss and turn a lot while sleeping, and I have had the UQ snap over to one side leaving me uninsulated. I will keep playing with it(it could just be me), but for now the SS is my insulation of choice. I have been down into the low 30's, stayed warm, and have not suffered from any of the condensation issues others have had.
    Now there is a statement I have only seen a VERY few times over the years. Not just that the HHSS is a good alternative to UQs, especially considering cost and the fact that wind and water resistance is built in. But stating an actual preference for the HHSS. I know I have seen that at least once 4 or 5 years ago, and maybe one or two other times since then. As the original HHSS fan at HF ( I think? Was there any one here speaking up for HHSS before me? I remember TeeDee at least backing me up ) , I really notice such a stated preference. Rare as hen's teeth!

The pad that comes with the SS, the one Dale was talking about, is not like a regular sleeping pad. It is a very soft, open cell foam that conforms to the hammock when you lay in it. This is probably why the vendors are telling you that their "undercover" will not work with a pad.

Ragnall
    That 2Q UQP might have the capability of holding that HH OCF soft contoured/shaped pad( but prob not a regular CCF pad?) up against the hammock. And if not quite, the pads suspension elastics might add enough to accomplish it. In fact, bet it would. Dale used this combo, right? And Newton has used just the pad suspended by it's suspension with success, right?

Of course, if you are going to use part of a SS, there is something to be said for the HH UC and it's custom fit and exact correct amount of elastic tension holding the pad snug enough. I think the only place where the tension is too much is right under the butt. Not too much under the pad, but might compress 900 fp down too much if added under the pad. Hence, I like to use fleece in that area, while putting something like a down vest under me but more towards the head.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    If you use a pad inside, it needs to be 24" or wider. I found that a slightly tighter hang worked better. You may get some buckling. Rounding the corners helped too. The Gossamer Gear wide Thinlight pad is a good way to go. Internal CCF pads are by far the least expensive and lightest option for hammock insulation, but not the most comfortable. That stiff layer of foam really detracts from the comfort of the fabric surface.

Hanging a regular CCF pad under the hammock will leave all kinds of air gaps. You will get more wind cutting action than actual insulation value--- in other words, it won't do much for you. A space blanket hung tight under the hammock would do as much or more. The Hennessy works because it is soft and flexible and has the undercover to add another layer for dead air space. Note the Hennessy is open cell foam vs the standard sleeping pads that are closed cell foam (and won't absorb water).

You can buy a ready-made undercover from 2QZQ and use Garlington Insulators inside (http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm). I fiddled around with all kinds of combinations and ended up buying the Hennessy foam pad by itself and using my own undercover. Adding a space blanket does help with the Hennessy system. IMHO, the SuperShelter is summer stuff for above freezing, but it is comfortable. You can stack it with other options like an underquilt or the Garlington Insulators. Many have used the SuperShelter to lower temps, so YMMV.

The Wilderness Logics 3/4 synthetic UQ will work fine with the Hennessy ($115). I think it is the least expensive yet effective insulation option for 3-season use.

I ordered a SS, and it is 'In the mail'.
    Ken

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12