Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Bear in Panthertown

Went for a overnight backpacking trip to Panthertown Valley. Trip started out great, we had 16 scouts most being first time backpacking. It was a great day for hiking in a beautiful area and we had a good trip hiking in. We got to camp which was a hammockers Nirvana, a large white pine grove with no low branches and perfect spacing. All went great in the afternoon, everyone got setup with no problems and fixed are dinners ate. We all got cleaned up, bear bags were all hung. Built a campfire and were telling stories, one of the boys says is that a bear. Not twenty feet from us is bear tugging on a pack tied on a tree. The boys and adults all start the normal yelling and making noise to scare away the bear, but this bear just calmly walks over to where the boys had there food hung and was able to snatch one down. By this time we all had are lights on shining on the bear just sitting on the trail eating his prize. While a group of us are standing on the trail yelling and trying to getting this bear to move on he finishes his meal and walks right at us to get more bounty.
    It was decided this bear had no fear of humans and for safety of all we were packing up. We kept lights and eyes on the bear while the boys and adults packed. The group packed up and night hiked the three miles to the parking area in less than two hours. We drove home with only the loss of two food bags. In twenty years of backpacking this is only time I have seen a bear this brazen.

Images
    That could be a problem bear. I have yet to make it to Ptown, planning on making a solo spring trip there.Is that a heavily used campsite you chose, does it have a name or location? Did you report the bear activity, wildlife and fish boys might need to get involved.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Did you report it, it sounds like a bear that should be put down

Hammock
    The Green Mile (diy gathered end)
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Leighlo,Kaq, WLSS
    Suspension
    straps and slings
    Images
    Somewhat scary incident. Wonder what's going on this year with all of these bear encounters, especially in the southeast. They've had quite a problem with them in the shining rock wilderness area. Glad all were safe, but hate you didn't get to complete the trip. Those scouts will have a tale to tell
    "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    Did you report it, it sounds like a bear that should be put down
    One of the leaders was going to call it in today.
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    That could be a problem bear. I have yet to make it to Ptown, planning on making a solo spring trip there.Is that a heavily used campsite you chose, does it have a name or location? Did you report the bear activity, wildlife and fish boys might need to get involved.
    Certainly had no fear of humans and knew where the food was.
    Site was off the Granny Burrells Falls Trail about half mile from the shelter. It was a perfect site.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by revbknox View Post
    Somewhat scary incident. Wonder what's going on this year with all of these bear encounters, especially in the southeast. They've had quite a problem with them in the shining rock wilderness area. Glad all were safe, but hate you didn't get to complete the trip. Those scouts will have a tale to tell
    I heard it was a late frost this year that took a lot of the berries out.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    Just curious if you carry bear spray during trips into the wilderness? For years I did not carry spray and have just started to realize that it is in my best interest considering I usually venture into areas that are far from the nearest civilized zone. At least the spray can buy some time to gather gear and move out...
    When asked why I sleep with my shoes on? I don't need to out run a bear, just need to out run my camp mates.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I hear banjos View Post
    Just curious if you carry bear spray during trips into the wilderness? For years I did not carry spray and have just started to realize that it is in my best interest considering I usually venture into areas that are far from the nearest civilized zone. At least the spray can buy some time to gather gear and move out...
    Normally black bears avoid humans, there are no grizzlies in this area. He was never aggressive, just didn't care that we were there.

Images
    There has got to be some sort of "Had my breakfast stolen by a Black Bear" patch those kids earned!

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    And this is why its great to have a bear keg (or something similar) and not just a "food pack"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast