Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Thread

Obviously, my search of the forum for "thread" turned up way too many "threads" (other kind).

I just finished off my leftover Ray-Way thread, and some other thread that BB let me have after my Blackcat was finished. Now I'm almost out of thread. What is the recommended thread that folks are using here for projects.

Is Gutermans acceptable for these projects?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    . What is the recommended thread that folks are using here for projects. Thanks in advance.
    I don't think that I can give out so-called "expert advice" on this one, since I haven't done my first DIY project yet. There are those here that are far more qualified. But, from talking with others, including BB, HC and Ed Speer, everyone seems to be of the opinion that good, strong polyester thread is best taking care to avoid cotton thread at all costs. I don't think that Guterman's is really necessary, but I've seen several people discussing it here with regard to their preference to it. I bought some polyester thread at Wally World the other day to get ready for my sewing lessons. It was Coats & Clark black polyester outdoor UV resistant. I'll see how I like working with it on my lessons and first DIY projects and get back with you to let you know how it works. I'm guessing that it should be pretty widely available at most Wally Worlds.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks, I need to get out to some of those bigger places. I've established a sortof rapport with the local fabric store, so I may head out there today and talk to them about thread.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Thanks, I need to get out to some of those bigger places. I've established a sortof rapport with the local fabric store, so I may head out there today and talk to them about thread.
    I went to the local fabric store to get my thread as well, which shall remain nameless, but their initials are Hancock Fabrics. They tried to sell me cotton Guterman's, saying that it will hold up on almost anything. I thanked them for their time and went on to Wally World. The little old lady who worked there said that the cotton wouldn't hold up in the long run outdoors (Which, from discussion here, I already knew) and that I should go with polyester or nylon upholstery thread. Of course, I went with the polyester. The end.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Just get the stuff Ed Speer sells. It'll last you a lifetime. http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

Guterman is good, but it just doesn't last long enough. Speer's thread lasts so long, I don't ever worry about running out of thread (it's like 6,000 yards or something).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Guterman is good, but it just doesn't last long enough.
    Can you elaborate on that? Have you had an instance of it wearing out?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? Have you had an instance of it wearing out?
    No, definition #2, I'm talking quantity not quality. There's just not enough thread on the spool for me. Ed Speer's thread comes in 6,000 yd spools. Gutterman's stuff seems to come in 175 yard spools. Therefore the Gutterman doesn't last long enough.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Jo Anns fabrics carry polyester Guttermans thread. It's really nice and I prefer it over any I have used so far. When I use this spool of Guttermans I will probaly get a spool from Ed Speer or some of that Hydro-phobe thread.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I went to the local fabric store to get my thread as well, which shall remain nameless, but their initials are Hancock Fabrics. They tried to sell me cotton Guterman's, saying that it will hold up on almost anything. I thanked them for their time and went on to Wally World. The little old lady who worked there said that the cotton wouldn't hold up in the long run outdoors (Which, from discussion here, I already knew) and that I should go with polyester or nylon upholstery thread. Of course, I went with the polyester. The end.

I'm visualizing those mean little old ladies making you buy cotton thread...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm going to see if the LFS has some polyester Gutermans for the short term, and then order some thread from Ed for the long term. (but then I have to make a thread stand to go with it). Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast