HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'm 5'7", 265lbs and I rotate through many different hammocks made of various fabrics almost every night in the workshop.

I have hung many nights in SL 1.1oz hammocks, but have yet to get a good nights sleep in such a light stretchy fabric. Way too stretchy/springy for me.

The lightest fabric I feel decently comfortable with is a 70d Nylon Taffeta (actual weight around 1.69oz)

An even better choice (for my weight and preferences) is a 1.8oz Polyester Taffeta. I've always had good nights with this fabric.

When I'm not testing hammocks in the workshop, my regular everyday sleeper is a SL 2.3oz Poly/Nylon Blend in Woodland Camo.
    Good info papa smurf! I have been eyeballing that night grid taffeta as well as it looks sweet and taffeta is very soft, just thinking about the 1.1 from a weight savings perspective( who doesn't?).

If you would prefer to answer this via PM to not derail this thread by all means-EDIT: I only posted the question here so if anyone has had this done they can comment on it-

but would you by chance have a set figure in your head as to how much the up charge would be if I wanted a dangerbird set up with all the flashy Darien ul stuff? Is this something you would even do?I would still want the two covers, tie outs and everything that makes it a dangerbird...but would love to have all the dutchware, cuben, and dynaglide bling. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TheIrishmanHangeth; 06-18-2013 at 11:08.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Everybody should be considering lots of Dutchware bling, after all today is National Splurge Day.
    I'll PM shortly so we can keep this thread relevant and business dealings off HF.

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Everybody should be considering lots of Dutchware bling, after all today is National Splurge Day.
    I'll PM shortly so we can keep this thread relevant and business dealings off HF.
    Haha! Nicely done papa smurf, a little incognito marketing.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    Good info papa smurf! I have been eyeballing that night grid taffeta as well as it looks sweet and taffeta is very soft...
    The Night Grid Camo and Olive Green are both a high count (160x90) nylon taffeta. It's real close to 1.8oz per yard and densely woven. It feels a little plasticy at first, but after it's been used a few times it softens up and feels real nice.

The Black and the 20 or so other colors are a (110x80) count nylon taffeta and last piece I used came in at exactly 1.69oz. It's a little softer right away and you can see a little more light through it when held up to the light.

Note - The 2 numbers mentioned above (160x90 & 110x80) refer to the number of individual threads or "thread count" that make up the fabric. RamblinRev could probably tell us more about what all those numbers mean?

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I'm 5'7", 265lbs and I rotate through many different hammocks made of various fabrics almost every night in the workshop.

I have hung many nights in SL 1.1oz hammocks, but have yet to get a good nights sleep in such a light stretchy fabric. Way too stretchy/springy for me.

The lightest fabric I feel decently comfortable with is a 70d Nylon Taffeta (actual weight around 1.69oz)

An even better choice (for my weight and preferences) is a 1.8oz Polyester Taffeta. I've always had good nights with this fabric.

When I'm not testing hammocks in the workshop, my regular everyday sleeper is a SL 2.3oz Poly/Nylon Blend in Woodland Camo.
    Just curious PS, do you have any plans on making your 1.8 Poly part of your regular line of materials? I love mine! The brown color and the feel of the hammock is great as well. It's my new go-to hammock.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    Just curious PS, do you have any plans on making your 1.8 Poly part of your regular line of materials? I love mine! The brown color and the feel of the hammock is great as well. It's my new go-to hammock.
    Soon as I get to it I plan to add both the Brown and Black to the fabrics list.

Hammock
    Switchback/Lite Owl/WBRR
    Tarp
    CamoPalace/BMJ/TH
    Insulation
    Greylock3/ProdigyX
    Suspension
    Any
    I recommend TWO SEPARATE scales.
    LOL!!.......

In my opinion, UL and FAT GUYS don't go together.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123