Qoupple of Quilty Questions :)

I'm looking into some insulation options and I like the look of the JRB quilts.
    So my questions are...

#1: Can I attach a Hudson River to a HH Explorer Ultralite as un underquilt?
    #2: If so, can I survive the winter using 2 Hudson rivers, 1 as an underquilt and 1 as a top quilt? (without pads or anything)

Winter around here averages out somewhere around 30 degrees.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling3749 View Post
    I'm looking into some insulation options and I like the look of the JRB quilts.
    So my questions are...

#1: Can I attach a Hudson River to a HH Explorer Ultralite as un underquilt?
    #2: If so, can I survive the winter using 2 Hudson rivers, 1 as an underquilt and 1 as a top quilt? (without pads or anything)

Winter around here averages out somewhere around 30 degrees.
    You can attach any of the Jacks R Better quilts to practically every hammock that is made.

In answer to your other query about using 1 each for a Top and Under quilt in temps down to 30, you could certainly do that depending on how warm of a sleeper you are. The HR is rated at 25-30F which doesn't give you much of a safety factor.

If you're not completely set on where you get your TQ and UQ from, a 3 season Burrow TQ and 3 season Incubator UQ set from HammockGear.com, are each rated to 15F, come with 900 fill power down and works out to about $30 cheaper for both.

I also noticed on the hammockgear.com website that they are going to be having their quilts in stock soon. So no more waiting on your quilt to be made and then shipped.

Cheers

Brian

Hey thanks for the advise man.
    Is it the higher loft that makes them warmer?

Also, I've seen the terms warm sleeper and cold sleeper show up a couple times in other threads, This might sound a bit stupid but what exactly does that mean? Is there some way to test how warm or cold I sleep?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    warm sleepers need less covers in the same temperature/environment that makes cold sleepers reach for an extra blanket. there is (to my knowledge) no absolute rating scale.
    Hope that helps, KM

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling3749 View Post
    Hey thanks for the advise man.
    Is it the higher loft that makes them warmer?

Also, I've seen the terms warm sleeper and cold sleeper show up a couple times in other threads, This might sound a bit stupid but what exactly does that mean? Is there some way to test how warm or cold I sleep?
    The only real way to tell if you are a warm or cold sleeper is to get in some hang time and test out your gear. I know that does not help much cause ur looking into buying quilts and don't have them yet so you kinda just have to go off of rating's and read through threads and start one's like this . I have not used the Hudson River (many on here do so hopefully they will chime in) but I know I have taken my 3 season Burrow and Incubator down to the teens before (it's rated to 15). The HR is rated between 25-30 so I agree with Brian that it does not give you much margin for error. And yes the HR does attach as an UQ or can be used as a TQ.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I think the fairest way to compare quilts is by loft, construction, weight/fill rating and, ofc ourse, price .

Some vendors are more conservative with their temp ratings. So I would do more homework before saying vendor A's quilt is warmer than Vendor B's quilt.

I know I would have no problem being warm using HRs as TQ and UQ at 30*F.

YMMV, I have a fair bit of polar bear insulation which definately helps when the seasons turn.
    Love my JRB BMB

• + New Posts