Thread: Space blanket

Space blanket

Okay, I've went WAY OFF the deep end with this crazy idea. Yes, I've tried it here in the house to see if the idea could even function in reality. I haven't tried it outdoors yet but get rid of this darn snowstorm and I shall try and see what happens. What happened to that dang artic blast???

The question, now that my tirade is over. When wrapped on the outside of a sleeping bag as a second VB layer, how much extra 'warmth' does a space blanket provide? I realize all it is doing is locking in heat and acting a wind block/weather block. When I say space blanket I'm not referring to these throw away space bags you can find and lose in your front pants pocket but I'm talking about the more rigid blankets.

I realize they are a vapor barrier. How much room would you have to leave between them and your mouth to prevent from some serious condensation problems forming.

It if I haven't lost my mind yet, I'm about to. Talk me out of it.

MEANT 2B
    GAME '97

Images
    I think you already know your answer. To whatever degree it will keep wind and moisture out, keeping wind fron displacing warm air that you have heated up with your body heat and hot water bottles, that is your warmth increase.I think much more than a warmth increase, it will be a matter of preventing as much decrease- by blocking wind/spray/fog.

Just make sure your interior VBs are adequate, or it is going to get wet and cold when your bags insulation gets a big dose of body moisture!

Ain't it fun, figuring all this out!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Better Alternative To Space Blanket

If you have ever "HAD" to use a space blanket you know that there are several downsides: all four corners are loose; the blanket makes so much noise you can't hear yourself think; and, without much effort, you can tear them.

IMHO, a better alternative is an Adventure Medical emergency bivvy. See here: http://www.rei.com/product/750944

Given the superior properties of the Adventure emergency bivvy, I now carry one in each of my packs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    Given the superior properties of the Adventure emergency bivvy, I now carry one in each of my packs.
    How small do these stuff down to?

Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    If you have ever "HAD" to use a space blanket you know that there are several downsides: all four corners are loose; the blanket makes so much noise you can't hear yourself think; and, without much effort, you can tear them.
    The one I have isn't that easy to tear, quite hard actually as it has a separate fabric that runs all the way around it. I had duct taped it together over a decade ago to do some testing and I went out and ripped the tape off yesterday and it didn't tear on me.

The four corners are lose and on mine they also have gromets. Perfect for running a couple of pieces of string through. What a nice way dangle the space blanket over a ridgeline and then tie together down below the hammock. By tying off the foot end to the tree the hammock is tied to you won't be able to pull it too far forward. Push it down, hop in the hammock and pull the other end up and over you. You are now protected. I tried it last night here in the house and it worked better than I thought it would. I didn't sleep with it that way as I still have a little fiddling around with it to do yet(the ridgeline in the house just isn't quite the same as it would be outside) but the idea is feasible.

I think my new position of the sleeping bags worked quite well also. I woke up with wet clothes this morning, I haven't ever did that during the winter months...it's never warm enough in my house to sweat. I just need to test the idea outside to see how well it will work. Now if I could just get some decent zero/subzero temps again. Oh well...guess I'll probably have to wait until next winter for that...or head for the Whites.

MEANT 2B
    GAME '97

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    Heat sheets bivvy packs down to about 3" X 6".

• + New Posts