11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by perchancetodream View Post
    Ridgepole structural insurance: Gorilla glued 1-5/16" x 6" wood closet pole dowels into ridgepole connectors today, as I'm not entirely confident in the material strength of the green plastic.
    If your hammock tie-offs are exactly where the ridgepole is hanging from the tripods then the pole will be purely under compression and that connector won't be an issue. If your hammock tie-offs move inside the tripod points then the pole will sag downwards. Conversely, if they move outside, the pole will bend up in the middle.

Things can move, insurance is a valid choice.

Agreed, the force diagram is pure compression when the hammock and pole suspensions are concentric. But 300 - 400 pounds is likely 10 times the load originally intended for these camo net support poles. Any static or dynamic eccentricities of load introduces buckling stresses at the connectors. The pole / connector alignments are not perfectly straight, the hammock suspension is not exactly concentric with the pole suspension and the hammock occupant introduces all kinds of dynamic shifts.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Get some Gravity Insurance

Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    I'm full timing it in my stand now and loving it. Only issue i'm having is every morning I wake up and the attachment points have creeped in slightly causing the ridge line to no longer be taut.

I'm using inner tube pieces to hold via friction right now. Had duct taped some thick zip ties in place previously, but they creeped in as well.

Thinking I may use eye bolts on the ridge pole attachment to create a hard stop for the hammock attachment.

Any thoughts welcome.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I think I'm gonna make a sandwich.

Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dixoncreations View Post
    I'm full timing it in my stand now and loving it. Only issue i'm having is every morning I wake up and the attachment points have creeped in slightly causing the ridge line to no longer be taut.

I'm using inner tube pieces to hold via friction right now. Had duct taped some thick zip ties in place previously, but they creeped in as well.

Thinking I may use eye bolts on the ridge pole attachment to create a hard stop for the hammock attachment.

Any thoughts welcome.
    I had the same thing happen, using inner tubes and they would slide in. I put a bolt and nut through the area so that the inner tube had something to keep it from moving. So far it has worked well. I think I was going to try a smaller diameter tube to make it tighter, but I needed it right away and settled on the bolt. Not pretty but functional.

__Innertube[nut/bolt]____

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dixoncreations View Post
    ...Only issue i'm having is every morning I wake up and the attachment points have creeped in slightly causing the ridge line to no longer be taut...
    After switching to a bridge hammock using 20*-25* suspension angles, I also started having a bit of creep overnight. I wanted to be able to quickly change the attachment point as I often experiment with other hammocks so I use band clamps inside of heavy vinyl (?) tubing (protection for the straps). End of problem.

IMG_4174 (Medium).JPG

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    After switching to a bridge hammock using 20*-25* suspension angles, I also started having a bit of creep overnight. I wanted to be able to quickly change the attachment point as I often experiment with other hammocks so I use band clamps inside of heavy vinyl (?) tubing (protection for the straps). End of problem.

IMG_4174 (Medium).JPG
    BAND CLAMP. Yes! Perfect.

Back to work! Amsteel loops for suspension. A little rough first time through, but feels sturdy under load. 56" length. 8" bury with ~1" taper for about 17-18" continuous loop. Tricky part is to keep the first bury from slipping while working on the second. Stitched the splice afterwards. Photos of the strands pulled out for the taper and stitching the splice. Also posted: typical Samson Rope splicing instructions.
    Thanks to opie for the continuous loop tutorial: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...78&postcount=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trial hang!
    Instead of dropping the amsteel loop over the top of the leg, put the eyebolt leg through the loop so the loop can hang on the smooth spacer nut between the eye and top of the leg. Make two small loops at the bottom of the loop, give each a half turn and slide the the end of the ridgepole through to make a larks head. Wrap the hammock suspension a couple times around the ridgepole directly next to the ridgepole suspension. Adjust the hammock suspension and climb aboard. Note my 3" foam car camping pad underneath the first loading sit down trial

No pops, creaks or groans, even when shifting around in the hammock. The kink in the ridgepole is not due to loading - the connector in that end pole got glued in slightly crooked when re-installed (rats.) The three coats of Plasti-Dip on the ridgepole ends seems to be working to prevent slippage of the larks head and hammock straps. The filled and mitered legs with Plasti-dip are super steady.

Many thanks - to Agfadoc, Artjrk, gmcttr, Ultimate Hang, old dog, opie, Acer, etc. I hope this detailed writeup helps other fiberglass pole builders as much as yours have helped me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by perchancetodream; 01-19-2014 at 19:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast