Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUDzJiW_7Q, the author states that the angle of the eye bolt is integral to the structural integrity of the set-up.
    Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?

I have been reading about this for the past few nights... As it starts to get warmer here the hammock seems like it would be a cooler place to sleep and I really don't have room for a stand.

Fastening to the studs seems easy... But like its not worth the risk as others have said.

But many people, and even quite a few manufacturers recommend the use of eye lags into studs... some not even mentioning to do so at your own risk.

There was another post of someone swinging their children wildly in the hammock attached to studs.
    When you say "Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?"
    Who are these others?
    Has anyone here actually read a first hand case of the damage that is so often warned about? I am starting to think that if I can't find any cases of it being a problem... maybe the problem is a bit made up?

All this got me thinking, and so I started trying to find horror stories. Can't find one, short of damaging some drywall with a bent hook, or pulling small hooks out of studs.

When you say "Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?"
    Who are these others you speak of?
    Has anyone read first hand reports of series damage being done to studs/the frame of a house by hanging a hammock from the wall?
    I am starting to think if I cannot find a single case of it going wrong, with as relatively often as it is done... Perhaps the damage is a little made up? (especially as I am ~ 150lbs...)

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    If I were going to try this, I would get in the attic and drill a 3/8 hole all the way through the 2 x 6 joist and the ceiling. Then I would run a bolt all the way through with washers on the back side. Otherwise it's just a matter of time before threads will pull out of the wall studs.

Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    I am starting to think if I cannot find a single case of it going wrong, with as relatively often as it is done... Perhaps the damage is a little made up? (especially as I am ~ 150lbs...)

The potential for damage is quite real. The actual force applied horizontally to the wall can be much more than your weight, depending upon how tight your hammock is stretched. If you are content to let it dangle at a 45 degree angle, the force on each wall will be about half your weight, or 75 pounds. Decrease the angle to 30 degrees, and the force rises to about 130 pounds. At 20 degrees, it will be about 206 pounds. Tighten it to 10 degrees, and you are up to about 425 pounds. As the angle decrease, there is a real chance of pulling a stud loose at the top, particularly in modern tract housing.

If you have the clear space along the walls, I would still favor a free-standing unit consisting of a pair of triangular stands, one against each wall, with a compression member between them. The stands should be only a couple of inches thick, and the compression member will be up against the ceiling, with the hammock hanging from the ends. Without the hammock, little room space is lost.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Well.. My attachments have had no issues to date.
    I have had people upwards of 250lbs sit in mine and my walls are fine.
    I might worry a little more if it was just a single stud and some nails.
    But you add in sheetrock and what ever else, plus multiple studs and it adds up.

I have hung off a single stud with no issues but it always made me worry. Hence why I spread it out to a 2nd stud. Now saying that, I would not get in my hammock and bounce up and down and try to push it. But sitting in it and laying down.. I trust it.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post
    The potential for damage is quite real. The actual force applied horizontally to the wall can be much more than your weight...
    As an engineering student I understand the potential... But I also understand that testing is more accurate the models... I have been googling for the past four days and have not been able to find a single failure greater then crumbling some drywall around bolts that bent slightly when they were not angled properly... I have however seen MANY people swinging wildly, even a hammock with multiple children in it being swung in circles by two adults.

I was thinking of starting a new thread to see if anyone has any first, or even second hand accounts of serious damage from only using 1 stud at each end. Maybe I am just trying to convince myself its OK, but if it is a danger it seems weird I can't find a single person having trouble.

I know that the discussion is horizontal stress, but a screw in eye bolt is a screw in eyebolt. I have personal knowledge of two porch swings falling because of the eyebolt pulling out of the ceiling joist. My wife fell in one incident and I fell in the other, different places, different times. That said, porch swings often have a fairly dynamic load applied (dropping down onto the seat) rather than sitting down gently and applying load gradually. Something to consider.

I'm about 150 lbs, and am planning to hang a hammock with D rings,
    1' from the top of inside and outside wall studs that are 13' apart. It's a stick
    frame house built in 1978. Is 13' too far apart? Would walls closer together be better?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    My bedroom is 11 feet 4 inches at the widest point. I made a stand, now into the third week of full time hanging, and it works very well.
    The stand is made from some old 1 1/2 inch pipe (boiler pipe, not galvanized; my Dad used to work in a power station). The length of the top pipe is 10 foot 6 inches (1 piece of pipe) with allowance for the 90 degree els; the uprights are a bit over 5 feet (2 of these) and the feet are 24 inches each. (4 of these). Since I already had the pipe, the cost was less than $50. It would probably cost about a $100 more if you have to buy the pipe.
    Think yard sale clothing rack and you get the idea.
    We cut the pipe pieces to length, ground the ends smooth and even, then took them to a local plumbing store and had the ends threaded. At the same store, I bought two 90 degree els and 2 T's. I put it together in the bedroom (only knocked one hole in the wall ). I hung my WB Traveler from it using the webbing suspension that came with my Blackbird. This suspension gives me a wider range of suspension length.

The Traveler hangs very well and the stand is very stable. Hopefully, it will last for a long time. It also takes up very little floor space. The cedar chest is pushed at one end and the dresser at the other end.
    Pics or it didn't happen . That sounds like something this plant worker could come up.with...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

I have my hammock hanging from wall studs and it's been fine. I knew they were strong as I built the wall personally. Instead of a screw eye I have a plate with a hook which has 4 points that I fixed through with coach screws. From experience through work(carpentry) I don't think I would trust a screw eye. I have seen too many pullys pulled out of ceiling joists due to being overloaded with wet clothes.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
    I'm about 150 lbs, and am planning to hang a hammock with D rings,
    1' from the top of inside and outside wall studs that are 13' apart. It's a stick
    frame house built in 1978. Is 13' too far apart? Would walls closer together be better?

For me 13ft is about perfect.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast