Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bridge Bag

Weight

I now use 2mm spectra line in place of the 120lb braid. The fully hung prototype system weighs in at 4oz and packs to the size of a coke can.

The sleeping bag adds a pound and a half and the bamboo adds 2oz per stick. I would not count these last two items, as I would be carrying a sleeping bag anyway if the weather demanded it and the bamboo would be cut on site. If I had to carry sticks, I have some graphite rod that would weigh in at 2/3 oz per stick.

As it has a square shape, I will also use my poncho as a tarp slung over a ridgeline.

My logic is that the 4oz core system would replace my 26oz HH hammock or 10 oz sleeping mat, and while it is smaller and lighter than either, it is more comfortable than the mat and warmer than the hammock.

This, or rather Version II, will be my cold weather rig this season.

My notes to self for improvements to the next version:

• Wider webbing for rim, double stitched
    • Cat cut rim
    • Tab attachments, not holes
    • Buttonhole or through stitched tabs through sleeping bag
    • More breathable structural fabric
    • Min 2" end caps
    • Better attachment knots
    • 4mm spectra replacing 3mm spectra support cables
    • Shock cord stabilising guys
    • Consider stitched webbing cross-straps under or replacing structural panel
    • Between shoulders and to line below hips, 8", rather than 12" spacing on vertical lines
    • Consider rigging system that does not require alpine loops on main lines to preserve lines

Images
    cool, looks like it works. does the bottom of the bag stay fully lofted when weighted?

since you didn't use curve cuts, i would be worried about the seam that connects the webbing to the sheet failing at the spots where the lines attach. that's alot of force on the ripstop, and its localized in seven spots, rather than distributed to the whole perimeter like if deep curve cuts and more points had been used like your origional idea.

you can keep an eye on this by inspecting it by peeling back the edge of the webbing and looking at the stitches in the ripstop at the spots closest to/right under the suspension points, especially the ones that see the most weight. i'm guessing after several overnight uses, you will really start to see stress and stretching of the needle holes (in the ripstop not the webbing) right under the suspension points.

a heavier fabric would help with that some too.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-21-2007 at 15:31.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    very interesting!

Your ideas about endcaps have application for all the bridge builders I think.

thanks for posting.

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    cool, looks like it works. does the bottom of the bag stay fully lofted when weighted?

since you didn't use curve cuts, i would be worried about the seam that connects the webbing to the sheet failing at the spots where the lines attach. that's alot of force on the ripstop, and its localized in seven spots, rather than distributed to the whole perimeter like if deep curve cuts and more points had been used like your origional idea.

you can keep an eye on this by inspecting it by peeling back the edge of the webbing and looking at the stitches in the ripstop at the spots closest to/right under the suspension points, especially the ones that see the most weight. i'm guessing after several overnight uses, you will really start to see stress and stretching of the needle holes (in the ripstop not the webbing) right under the suspension points.

a heavier fabric would help with that some too.
    After a day's experimenting, these points are starting to see strain. To save time when I changed lines, I just burned a hole through and that's not helped. I will be using cat cuts, tab attachments and heavier fabric. It did it's job as a test bed and as a proof-of concept and would probably be good for a few outings, but I want a stronger long term hammock, hence the planned Version II.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    very interesting!

Your ideas about endcaps have application for all the bridge builders I think.

thanks for posting.

Grizz
    Thanks. The best thing about them is you can just pull them out and pop them back in, but when they are under load they are very stable.

Images
    Neat.... I think its cool that it worked and its certainly an original idea.

This IS something I think should be eligible for patent consideration, unlike much of what is or has been patented in previous hammock patents. Good thing I'm not a patent office examiner...

My intention is not to profit, but to have fun. It's now in the public domain and that means anyone can make one to own or sell without worrying about someone subsequently patenting it. There are too many patents in this industry.

Images
    ZDP.... I'm with you on THAT one!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    There are too many patents in this industry.
    I just patented that phrase. Ok I guess I got it copywriten.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast