HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies

weather protection for your body

wasn't sure exactly where this would fit or if it was within the forum topic, but i figured people here could offer up advice..

what does everyone like to use for personal rain and wind protection? 3 or 4 season? breathable? membrane (2.5 or 3 layer?)? plastic bags? silnylon or cuben fiber or other fancy space age materials?

I've got a marmot oracle for more durable usage and i'm less than impressed by it, although i don't think its marmots doing...I think its just wp/br membranes in general. It seems like i go on one outing with the thing and wet it out and the next time i go to use it, its lost all waterproofing. They're telling me I need to wash it after an excursion like this to revive the waterproofing, and i'm left thinking why did i spend all this money for extra work when i could just use a plastic bag or poncho in a pinch? or a waterproof/not breathable layer like silnylon? Or a light dwr/wind layer? I'm sort of the mentality that if its raining, your getting wet. It seems to be true even with my fancy rain jacket, once its pretty wet it just holds my sweat in anyway. So why not just accept it and shoot for wet and warm? Has anyone else had this experience?

or maybe i just need to suck it up and do my laundry

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I use DriDucks. Light, WP/B, and cheap. Many also use them while wearing a TQ as a coat for a waterproof puffy layer. I use it as a windbreak too. The breathability isn't fantastic, and it's not that durable, but it works for me.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks bulldawg-

I have a pair of dri ducks, they've now been dubbed my "holy rain jacket." I laid down for some stargazing on a slab and the back came out looking like swiss cheese. That said, i was very impressed with the wind and waterproofing until then. When i first got them i walked out my door and caught the sleeve on the door latch and tore them within about 5 minutes unfortunately as well. Maybe I'm not careful enough, but driducks doesn't seem like a reliable option in my case.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Driducks in the summer, Frog toggs in the winter. Cannot wear them bushwacking or they will shred. Everything else makes me sweat.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I use The Packa
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    ldcakes always coming through with excellent recommendations..how do you like that? I have heard some people say their forearms end up soaked due to the silnylon. The convenience is very tempting in terms of popping it on and off in rainstorms

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    ldcakes always coming through with excellent recommendations..how do you like that? I have heard some people say their forearms end up soaked due to the silnylon. The convenience is very tempting in terms of popping it on and off in rainstorms
    Thank You pdizzle! I have the Event Packa and have no problems with rain soaking through it at all. A premium breathable fabric but a little heavier than Sil. He's coming out with a Cuban Fiber one too! Also I like wearing a ball cap with it to keep the hood extended further off my face.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    During the summer I use a simple DIY 1.1 sil poncho. It vents great, is easy to pop on and off, and is very versatile. However, i find it is not the best in heavy windstorms and rainstorms (probably due to DIY mistakes) and is not very good for things where full range of motion is key (like climbing or bouldering) so during the winter or when above treeline I use a Mountain Hardware rain jacket made of Dry.Q Laminate. It does not vent quite as well as the poncho but I have had no problems with the weatherproofing and the fabric's stretch is amazing for bouldering.
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I carry an umbrella and use it whenever possible. Up to now, I have used some non-breathable rain gear for times when the weather is cooler or the umbrella won't work, but have just gotten a set of event pants and a jacket to try them out. We'll see how they do.

For the warmer weather, the umbrella has been great, but I'm also thinking of augmenting with some type of rain kilt to keep my shorts dry as well. That seems to breathe well, but I haven't really decided on a particular model as I want to make sure that it doesn't hamper my movement. . .

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    I just ordered one of these from zpacks, along with the chaps http://zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast