Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather shield

Weather shield

Not sure if this has been covered before but what are your thoughts on taking a UST tarp (tube, hex, etc.. ) and modifying it to be used as a weather shield. I figured the reflective material would keep in some heat while adding a little protection. Not even sure if the reflecting side really works but it might be worth a shot since the tarps aren't expensive. Thoughts?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    There have been many threads on these. Most people realize that they are too short and put them up FS. There are a few other tarps especially designed for hammocks that have reflective laminate on them.

I should of been more clear. I meant using it as a weather shield (adding channels and shock cord to the sides and wrapping it up under the hammock like an under quilt). It would be meant to block water from being splashed, keep the wind off of you and hopefully the reflective side would add thermal insulation

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    What you're making is an Underquilt Protector (UQP). Its pretty much acknowledged that a UQP will add a couple of degrees to your insulation system, the reflective material maybe a bit more. But you really need an underquilt. With the UQP you're talking about, you would sightly increase the effectiveness of a Poncho Liner Underquilt (PLUQ) and perhaps get you out in the Jersey woods in the fall and late spring.

Looks like I need to just bite the bullet and make an UQ. Thanks for your help

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The material also sounds like a vapor barrier, so you're going to have issues with condensation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Reflective heat, VBL, UQP, no sew PLUQ

We are uncertain if you intend to backpack and need light weight gear or mostly car camp or some other style of camping where weight and bulk is not a major issue. But if not an issue and you are fairly good at DIY/MYOG you might be successful at adding channels of grosgrain or using existing to a poncho liner or similar quilt, woobie, or used sleeping bag, suspend that under your hammock with shock cord (1/8" or thicker). Then experiment with mylar emergency "space" blankets (tape to quilt) to see if "radiant barrier" reflective heating is worth it. Obviously the closer the radiant heat barrier is to your body the more effective it will be. At various humidity and temperatures condensation can cause minor to major problems, not much more than what you see on the inside of a tarp above you in my experience, yours may differ. Read these threads but there are many more that may also help:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-Liners-(VBL)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...oncho-Liner-UQ

I was looking to do a mixture of both car camping and backpacking depending on where I am going. Weight isn't a big issue but something I will keep in mind. I am going to try my hand at making a UQ when I learn a little more but for now I have an old 0 degree sleeping bag that is very big and heavy. I might try to make channels and use it as a UQ but would have to ruin it as a sleeping bag since the bottom does not unzip and I would have to cut it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ktw23 View Post
    I was looking to do a mixture of both car camping and backpacking depending on where I am going. Weight isn't a big issue but something I will keep in mind. I am going to try my hand at making a UQ when I learn a little more but for now I have an old 0 degree sleeping bag that is very big and heavy. I might try to make channels and use it as a UQ but would have to ruin it as a sleeping bag since the bottom does not unzip and I would have to cut it
    Hi ktw, I believe shug has a video where he puts his hammock in a large sleeping bag and uses it like a peapod. You might try something like that instead of cutting up your SB.
    hth

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi ktw, I believe shug has a video where he puts his hammock in a large sleeping bag and uses it like a peapod. You might try something like that instead of cutting up your SB.
    hth
    Thanks! I will have to take a look

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast