MYOG
    Tarp
    11' Hex Silpoly
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Lightest DIY Hammock Materials?

I am looking to make a DIY hammock, and I would like to pretty much go as light as possible, but I'm not sure what material would be best.
    I'm thinking the dimensions will be around 126''x80" or so.
    I have looked into the table cloth hammocks a little, and I was wondering if anyone knew the weight of something about that size in a single layer table cloth hammock?

I have seen the few people that have made M50 hammocks and that interests me, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop the cash on something like that yet. At least not until I know how they hold up after some long term use.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    How much do you weigh? 1.1 ripstop is pretty light. You might have an issue finding it in 80" widths though. Most I've seen and used is 60".

G-Nut

Hammock
    MYOG
    Tarp
    11' Hex Silpoly
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm about 160-165lbs
    I've been looking at the 1.1, thats pretty much what I'm leaning towards right now.
    I found 72" width on DIY gear supply, looks like I'll have to hem on extra material If I really want it to be wider

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceantelope View Post
    I'm about 160-165lbs
    I've been looking at the 1.1, thats pretty much what I'm leaning towards right now.
    I found 72" width on DIY gear supply, looks like I'll have to hem on extra material If I really want it to be wider
    But, why make it wider? You'll just be adding weight (and floppy edges). There are some here who like a 45" wide hammock, if it's long enough. I just go with something around 60", which is what you get if you hem the sides of the most common ripstop fabrics. Cheaper that way, too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceantelope View Post
    I'm about 160-165lbs
    I just found the bright green 1.1 on DIY Gear supply and headed back here to post it...looks like you found it.

Also, +1 on WV's question. I've made hammocks that are ~60 inches wide and they work great. I like to add 2 feet of grosgrain ribbon and shock cord on opposite sides of the head and foot to take out the flap of the material and also provide a lip that helps keep my stuff in the hammock as I lay diagonally. There is a post or two on here that describe the mod I'm talking about. Can't remember if it has a proper name.

G-Nut

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i have been using M50 material for my hammock for a while now. I have dozens of nights in it and no signs of wear or stretch. It is my go to hammock and use it often in the woods. I mention woods because everything is harder in the woods on your stuff. So if your going to drop some money one one...a bit more and you have yourself a real light hammock.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    At 165 lbs, looking for light and affordable, I'd go with 1.1 nylon. I love the tablecloth hammocks for comfort, and even enjoy my monstrous 90 x 156 double layer, but they are not light. As others have commented the extra width is not really needed, and for packing I use a single layer nylon hammock that's 60 " wide. If you're going to splurge on extra weight for more material, I'd look at going a little longer rather than wider.

Michael

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Last year I tried a 10.5'x60" gathered end out of polyester suit lining material, the shiny stuff in suit coats, bought dirt cheap at Hancocks. The hammock and whoopies were all under 1 lb. Scared me everytime that I climded in it at my 220 lbs but it never failed and the lay was great. There was just doubt in the back of the mind about when it might let go. It also would pack up the size of a soda can. DIY and experimenting can be fun.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    +1 on the width, you don't need that much... especially if you are looking to make a lightweight hammock, at 165 you could definitely use M50 , 1.1oz or try and find some 1.0oz ripstop and have a hammock well under 10oz. Pretty sure as well that the tablecloths have been weighed at 2.6oz.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Anything over 60" or so is overkill. Go 11' x 60"... You'll be happy. The 1.1 makes a very nice light hammock.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast