Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    So I scored some fabric and read that if it puddles into a brown gooey substance when burned it could be polysil...mine did this, some lady snatched up most of it (she said she wanted to make skirts and summer clothes ;{)but, I got about 2 yards in dark grey and 2 yards in an olibe color. Is this "brown gooey puddle test" correct or is this something else? I will be glad to score some for someone else...it was in the 1.00 a yard section b/c they had no idea what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    yeah, like black knight said<g>, silnlon from wal-mart is hard to find.
    what people sometimes find & think is silnylon is actually DWR treated 1.1oz ripstop nylon. so be sure it's sil before you start your tarp.

Indeed. I thought I had sil for the longest time, until I went to REI and saw some *real* silnylon stuff. Sil is very noisy and crinkly, like wax paper or tin foil. I've actually seen some cat toys made out of this stuff for the fact that it makes crinkly noises.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I got some lightweight DWR I though was sil also. It passed the overnight water test, suspended over a trash can it held about a quart of water overnight with no leaking. Then I compared it to my Hennessy snakeskins (the only confirmed silnylon I have) and it's different. Much softer and not crinkly like sparkyso describes. The snakeskins are stiffer and crinkly, especially when they are cold (like crumpling up newspaper). I also found I can blow through the DWR, but just barely.

I know the consensus here is not to use DWR for a tarp but I had already cut it for a cat hex tarp with it so I might as well finish. I figure if it holds a big puddle all night it will be okay?

Anyway, I just wanted to say don't rely on the water test alone. You said you can't blow through it though so it's different than mine. I hope yours is sil! Good luck with your project(s).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    .....some lady snatched up most of it (she said she wanted to make skirts and summer clothes ;{)......
    sil for summer clothes? I would love to see someone wearing a sil outfit in the dead of summer in the sun.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've seen it referred to as silnylon cordura...that's probably the crinkly stuff. Regular ripstop silnylon is very slippery but not as crinkly as a new backpack made from siliconized cordura.

But I'd probably laugh to see a non-hiker in a fancy silnylon skirt! Bet THAT's comfy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123