WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Perhaps it'd be cheaper to change hammocks and get one (or make one) that is more compatible with the more expensive insulation. Just thinking out loud here!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    So after some playing I have come to a very important conclusion: It's not the peapods fault. It's the hammocks fault.

When I lay in the hammock without any insulation I lay on a very extreme diagonal. Attached is the only picture I could find (form this weekend). You can see what kind of diagonal I'm laying on, and most of my legs aren't even in the hammock. I fully realized the peapod couldn't handle that kind of diagonal. What I didn't realize was how much of a channel my hammock makes when I roll into a symmetrical lay. This channel raises the sides up high walls the peapod has to try and close around. Bottom line is, it can't.

I'm very bummed because I spent the little extra on the peapod so that I could use it in conjunction with a 35* top quilt I have and hopefully take it down to temperatures that would last me year round in certain places (lower Smokies). So yeah, there are the conclusions to my toying. the peapod's awesome, I just can't seem to make it work with my danged ENO!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The peapod's awesome, I just can't seem to make it work with my danged ENO!
    There is one way... lay 'inline' with the hammock, and not at an asym. That would relax the edges of the hammock and allow the PeaPod to surround the hammock as intended.

The only drawback to that is some hyperextension forces on your lower legs. You can get around that by placing something under your knees to raise them (spare clothing, or other filled stuff sack).

Or, try using a narrower hammock with the PeaPod (that's what I do).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Perhaps it'd be cheaper to change hammocks and get one (or make one) that is more compatible with the more expensive insulation. Just thinking out loud here!!!
    As silly as it sounds, there are so many memories attached to this hammock that, well, that make this option harder than you might expect...

Of course there's no harm in having multiple hammocks, right! In all honest though I'm very impressed with the Black Birds. Unfortunately those aren't cheap, and they're incompatible with my current insulation!

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    There is one way... lay 'inline' with the hammock, and not at an asym. That would relax the edges of the hammock and allow the PeaPod to surround the hammock as intended.

The only drawback to that is some hyperextension forces on your lower legs. You can get around that by placing something under your knees to raise them (spare clothing, or other filled stuff sack).

Or, try using a narrower hammock with the PeaPod (that's what I do).
    I originally start by sleeping in a relatively asym position. My usual tossing and turning results in me actually sleeping inline. The inline sleeping creates the high walled channel. The high walled channel causes all of the problems.
    Last edited by LyttleBryan; 11-19-2009 at 14:09.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The inline sleeping creates the high walled channel. The high walled channel causes all of the problems.
    Laying in line with the hammock fabric shouldn't cause any channel...

Which ENO model do you have? I'm guessing not the Double?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Laying in line with the hammock fabric shouldn't cause any channel...

It's the Double.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    So after some playing I have come to a very important conclusion: It's not the peapods fault. It's the hammocks fault.

When I lay in the hammock without any insulation I lay on a very extreme diagonal.
    heh -your pic looks like me in my double hammock and I'm not as tall as you.
    The sprawl is why I love my double hammock.

On a gentleman of LyttleBryan's height, that's what a double will look like!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    heh -your pic looks like me in my double hammock and I'm not as tall as you.
    The sprawl is why I love my double hammock.

On a gentleman of LyttleBryan's height, that's what a double will look like!

Whoa, whoa, whoa, gentleman? There's no need to be slinging insults around!

Images
    I think you have, sadly, come to the right conclusion, especially with that amount of extreme diagonal. With a lot of sag combined with a more moderate amount of diagonal with the Treklight double, the side wall was not nearly as prominent as what I see in your picture. The side walls hang loosely which helps the pod close over them. But what I see in your pic aint gonna work!

BTW, a narrow Claytor No Net is only about $40 SHIPPED. Works like a charm with my Pea Pod. And folks differ, but I find it to be one of the more comfortable hammocks. Just sayin. As you have already dropped the cash on the pod.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Wow, 40 bucks? thats a deal----you cant make a diy speer for that kind of money. (unless you get some cheap fabric from Walmart) If you sell your peapod, you will lose alot more money than that. You can use the 40 doller hammock for winter and use your eno double in spring/summer. Do it! (Im almost tempted to send you a donation so this story has a happy ending!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Banned
    i throw the paco pad in my hammock to eliminate this

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123