Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I thought this was supposed to be the latest and greatest thing?
    Latest, but not necessarily greatest.

It may be partially my fault, since I set the aftermarket price on these a bit lower when I sold mine. That sale only lasted a couple of hours.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It'd be greater if it was made to fit us big people as well.

- JT

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Hammock is down to $150 today. That's $62 less than it would cost from the manufacturer. If the lack of interest in the hammock is a testament to the long awaited hammock, it sounds like the product has bombed.

Images
    I can't believe it's not already sold. Of course, most folks here probably already have so many hammocks already, and some of us took advantage of the reduced introductory price from JRB. But still, your price is lower than that.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Hammock is down to $150 today. That's $62 less than it would cost from the manufacturer. If the lack of interest in the hammock is a testament to the long awaited hammock, it sounds like the product has bombed.
    Don't know whether it has bombed or not, but there are other factors to consider.

One is the word from the front from larger people that it is too small for them. The other is that HF is a relatively small group, at any given time it seems there are around 30 people that monitor activity consistently (at least the ratio of posts to views is about 30, which means that on average when a new post shows up about 30 people look at it). The demand from this segment may have been already satisfied.

Finally, the Jacks are mostly appreciated in HF, part of the cyber-family. Just as Tobit doesn't want to to renege on his order of a tarp from Oware (not yet delivered) because he appreciates the small business the guy runs and the way he runs it, it is possible there are HF folks here who have ordered a bridge hammock, not yet received it, but figure they should stick with the order even if a less expensive alternative now is available. $62 is a lot to swallow for a principle, but I believe there are people here who would do that. Just as AngrySparrow turned his around on the cheap even though the Jacks said "you aren't happy with it, send it back". Which may be what you want to do...

Grizz

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well said Grizz.

- JT

Minnesota Scouter

Thumbs up Like to buy

I'd like to buy it. This will be my first camping hammock.

Since I am new to this forum, someone needs to tell me how to buy things. Do I need to set up a pay pal account?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    .......... $62 is a lot to swallow for a principle, but I believe there are people here who would do that. Just as AngrySparrow turned his around on the cheap even though the Jacks said "you aren't happy with it, send it back". Which may be what you want to do...

Grizz
    Yep, and that's what I felt I needed to do. I considered selling it at a bit less than what I paid to try it out. But going by the specs regarding height and weight limits- which I was well under- I was in no way expecting to have as much tightness as I did. So to me it was as though I had ordered a shirt sized to fit me- and it is way too small once I try it on. So since the Jacks said they had plenty of demand for that hammock, back it went, even as I hoped to try a larger model later. If I had been anywhere near or over the weight/size limits, I would have just priced it to move and sold it myself and called the price loss the price of playing with it for a few hours.

That's why I have suggested earlier that if the problem is unexpected poor fit, and he only used it for 15 minutes, Coldspring just return it. But I think he said there were other financial reasons for not keeping it, so........

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I am interested in the hammock, but the shoulder squeeze issue bothers me. I am 5'10" tall, weigh 170 lbs and I wear about 40-41 in a jacket. Can anyone who has used the hammock give me an idea if I may have problems with the squeeze.

I still plan on building one at some point, but my down quilt has priority right now and I still can't seem to find time to work on it.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I am interested in the hammock, but the shoulder squeeze issue bothers me. I am 5'10" tall, weigh 170 lbs and I wear about 40-41 in a jacket. Can anyone who has used the hammock give me an idea if I may have problems with the squeeze.

I still plan on building one at some point, but my down quilt has priority right now and I still can't seem to find time to work on it.
    I think you might be OK, though frame/bone structure will be part of the picture, regardless of weight. Because, at almost 3" taller and 35 lbs heavier( size 45 jacket), if I had only 1" more width on each side, I probably would have been OK shoulder wise. Though I'm not sure that would have been enough to solve my difficulties from trying to draw my legs up when on my side, for which I did not have quite enough room. But I suspect that problem would have been solved also with just an inch or two wider.

Also, my memories of what the exact difficulties were are not razor sharp, and not JUST because of decreasing memory function as I get older( 59 years old TODAY- Whoopee!). It's because I had more room with my thick Thermarest Camprest in the pad pocket. When using that pad, my shoulder room might have been JUST barely adequate, though I still wasn't sure how I was going to keep my shoulders warm without a quilt which would come all the way up past my shoulders. Because even if there was barely room for my shoulders with the pad, there was NOT room for my sleeping bag to loft ( to the sides from my shoulders) at all. I did keep thinking maybe I should just keep the BMBH and use the pad and be done with it. I might have, if it hadn't been for the side loft compression issues, which I could not figure out. Maybe some sort of CCF cut out attached to the sides at shoulder area?

But I can't remember if I could draw my legs up when using the pad. I think the pad helped by causing the floor of the hammock to remain flatter, even elevating me a small amount, keping the hammock bottom from forming such a "V" with me in it. This gave me more shoulder room. It is also a question whether or not a lighter pad would have helped as much. I tried a lighter Ridge rest, but I can't remember if it also gave me more shoulder room on my back or more room for drawing up legs.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-15-2008 at 14:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast