quadruple doh!!!! I wanted one!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Ed's book is worth every penny and a good read to boot. Highly recommended, especially for newbies, but also for the semi-experienced. Go there to get the basics and gotcha's, then come back here to get the advanced classes.

When I recently ordered from Ed, I did it via phone. During the conversation, Ed realized that I had ordered items from him in the past and asked if I wanted/needed another copy of the book. When I told him I had two, he offered to include an extra stuff sack instead. The one he sent is a nice size, silnylon. Not sure if this is a standard practice for him, but I was pleased that he made the offer.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    When I recently ordered from Ed, I did it via phone. During the conversation, Ed realized that I had ordered items from him in the past and asked if I wanted/needed another copy of the book. When I told him I had two, he offered to include an extra stuff sack instead. The one he sent is a nice size, silnylon. Not sure if this is a standard practice for him, but I was pleased that he made the offer.
    I've ordered from Ed three times and he has sent me a stuff sack in lieu of another of his books, also.

I didn't find the book that useful. Most things online were more in depth, had color pictures, and had users posting comments, improvements, problems, etc. I got much more online than I did from Ed's book. However, you could hang happily only having Ed's book, it is a complete package. He favors his products in the book, but I'd be surprised at anything else. Obviously he considers them the best solution Maybe I'll sell my copy off.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I too offer a rave review of Ed's book. A lot of info in one place. Well worth the price. Mine is about worn out between myself and a friend.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Ed's book is worth every penny and a good read to boot. Highly recommended, especially for newbies, but also for the semi-experienced. Go there to get the basics and gotcha's, then come back here to get the advanced classes.
    Yep, I think that book is the place to start for an absolute newbie. I wish I had read it on the flight to Wyoming to use my hammock for the 1st time last Sept. It's a great comprehensive start from scratch, then one can go on to the forums for more detail and info on the many different brands and approaches.

Ed also offered to give me the stuff sack in lieu of the book on the most recent order.

Also, the book was a real motivator, with all of the actual examples given of real life hammocking experiences.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-14-2007 at 10:17.

Hammock
    Claytor JH, Trek Light
    Tarp
    JH Diamond
    Insulation
    GG Foam
    Suspension
    Rings/ Web
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    PM me an address and you can have one before Christmas for free. The last 3 times I've ordered something from Speer, I've gotten one. I gave one away and kept one. I don't need 2 copies...
    Thanks Angrysparrow for the gracious gift to a newbie. It is these offerings and the multitude of helpful advise I have seen here that make this hammock community stand out amongst all others.

Thanks again,
    KMAT

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I thought the book was very useful, especially for newbies. It's been mentioned a few times now...you can find the same info online, and in more detail, but the book gives you a frame of reference so you understand what you're reading online. Without that frame of reference, the stuff online can be difficult for a newbie to understand. I'd highly recommend Ed's book...still look at it from time to time.

But more info in the book than online? Not even close.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    His book is a must read for any hammock fanatic. I only recently got mine and read it right away. That said, it is written with his products and style of hammocking in mind. Of course he thinks his hammock with a seperate tarp and removable bugnet toploader is best. I think it is a little dated also.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast