Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Trip Report - 3rd Annual Hammock Camping Adventure, Lake Lila, NY

Last week we went on our 3rd annual trip to Lake Lila, in the William C. Whitney Wilderness area of the Adirondacks in upstate NY.

It's a helluva long drive from New Jersey. The last two years it took 7.5 hours to drive the 325 miles north. This year it took only about six hours (54 mph on average).

For the 3rd straight year, we took my father-in-law's land yacht, a 1994 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with 175,000 miles. There's nothing comforting about driving this relic, especially down the 10 miles of dirt road to Lake Lila. In past years, I've had to offload personnel & cargo to get over some of the boulders in the dirt road.

Driving up, we lost an hour due to the right front tire blowing out about 100 miles into the trip. The tire didn't really blow out - it just started wobbling like a drunken sailor. We stopped at a convenience store. I stuck my ear near the tire to listen for a leak, and felt along the inside rim. My hand suddenly scraped against a tangled mess of steel belt - something had shredded a three-inch chunk of tire. I was surprised there was any air in the tire at all.

I changed to the emergency tire and we went looking for a tire store. We drove by Walmart and Sears, but I was looking for a good old-fashioned tire store. We drove a couple of miles and I hung a U-Turn into a business. I said to my son, "I really want to find a tire store. Let's head back the way we came and look for one."

Shelf Life says, "Um, dad, this place has tires."

I look at the business and see no evidence of tires. "Where are the tires?" I ask.

Shelf Life says, "Um, in the garage over there. It's got wall-to-wall tires."

"Oh," says I, as I suddenly see the tires and big signs with Michelin and every other brand around the property. A fat man comes out, and asks if I want a new or used tire.

"How much is new?" I ask, and he says, "$140 installed." To which I reply, "Well, I guess used it is!"

Ten minutes and $70 later, we're on the road again. Before jumping on I-87, we stopped at Five Guys in Newburgh for burgers. Man, were they good, but we both got some serious gas that would later befoul the pristine forest air of the Adirondacks. The funniest part was that each gaseous emission smelled exactly like Five Guys.

The only other food I know of that is so readily identifiable by conversion to methane is Hawk Vittles - I'll bet I could name the meal just using olfactory senses after the emission. Hmm, that smells like Packers' Potatoes Plus!

Shelf Life doesn't like to stir the Hawk Vittles - he likes those crunchy bits that haven't fully rehydrated. As these crunchy bits expand in the digestive system, I think they cause gas.

We arrived at our campsite on the Racquette River after dark. Shelf Life made a fire while I set up the hammocks. In the morning we packed up and left by six am. We stopped and grabbed a breakfast sandwich, and were on Lake Lila by 7:30 am.

Weekends at Lake Lila are a zoo - there are only 22 campsites and a lot more people than that show up on a weekend in August. We met a party coming in, and they said they just left Spruce Island, so that's where we headed.

The island was free, and we set up camp. Then we canoe'd back to the drop-in to wait for son Rocco, who arrived shortly.

My friends KYBob and GMarc joined us on Saturday. We cooked chili over the fire in my Trangia Swiss Army mess kit. We ate the chili in tortillas - mmm good!

The next couple of days were just fishing, swimming, cooking, canoeing and kayaking, and sleeping. We hiked to Mt Frederica on Sunday, On Monday, we had to leave. KYBob and Gmarc stayed through Wednesday.

I'm looking forward to the 4th Annual Lake Lila trip. It's a beautiful patch of wilderness!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-28-2012 at 19:51.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The red squirrels were out of control this year. They must have had a banner year for reproduction - they were everywhere.

Anything that wasn't nailed down, they took. I saw a squirrel dragging my Bahco Swedish folding saw off - he was about to head up a tree with it. I intercepted him in time, but have no idea why he would take my darned folding saw.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The red squirrels were out of control this year. They must have had a banner year for reproduction - they were everywhere.

Anything that wasn't nailed down, they took. I saw a squirrel dragging my Bahco Swedish folding saw off - he was about to head up a tree with it. I intercepted him in time, but have no idea why he would take my darned folding saw.
    That's why red squirrel season is open all year in NYS

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    That's why red squirrel season is open all year in NYS
    Are you serious? If I had known, I could have added some squirrel protein to my pot of chili.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Another great trip report. Looks like the island life was good to y'all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Are you serious? If I had known, I could have added some squirrel protein to my pot of chili.
    In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken.

The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit.

But, you'd still need a nys hunting license.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken.

The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit.

But, you'd still need a nys hunting license.
    What momma don't know.....

I've never tasted red squirrel, but English sparrow is kinda tasty. I've never tried European starling either, and doubt I will - they eat such garbage.

I'm surprised you need a license to eat varmints.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hello SilvrSurfr! Looks like you had everything under control... hammocks set up, food and a fire! Nice peaceful lake, until you started singing! lol

I don’t know, young people of today, can’t hear rapids... what’s the world coming to! lol VERY nice camping spot and perfect weather to go with it!

You all must have fully enjoyed it there, thanks for the trip report!

Beautiful outdoors. I would love to take a dip in Racquette River, no matter how cold it was!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Oh, the funniest part was a red squirrel figured out how to get inside my son's bugnet while my son was sleeping. Squirrel could not figure out how to get out of bugnet. He started panicking and bouncing around like a pinball. He finally found his way out. Luckily, neither the bugnet nor my son were injured.

• + New Posts