Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w/ DIY Bug Sock

Hammock Camping in FL?

Hey there everyone!

First off, this is a fantastic site! I've been a lurker for a while now while getting all my gear together, and I feel like I'm ready to try hammock camping somewhere other than the back yard (which is pretty fun ).

Which brings me to my question: does anybody recommend or know of anywhere in Florida (preferably south) that would be a good campground for both hammocks and tents without bringing a hammock stand? I'm a hanging person, but my family are still ground people.

If anyplace has canoe or kayak rentals, it would be a huge bonus too, but it doesn't really matter much.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    DD XL/ exped 1.5x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag+Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the site, I'm a long time lurker too, read more than post.

I understand that there is some sort of odd law in Fl state parks that forbids attaching things to trees. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to clarify. Best be careful to stay on the right side of the law.

Dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just stay out of the State Parks, and you'll be fine.

The barrier islands are always a great place to go camp. Not sure what part of S Sunny Florida you're in, but the small islands off of the Vero Beach/Fort Pierce areas were fantastic places to camp with a good amount of privacy. I didn't do much car camping in Florida, but boat camping was high on my list.

Otherwise, pick a trailhead of the Florida Trail and hike in a little bit. There are always good spots and the trail isn't heavily used. Can't help with the kayak rental; they would likely be too close to too many people for my taste.

Edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just stay out of the State Parks, and you'll be fine... Edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to the Forums!
    State parks do not allow anything to come in contact with their trees hanging or otherwise. Too many people have ruined the privilege for the rest of us.

Federal parks take a more common sense approach, if damage is done take it down. If there is no harm? then no foul. As always be nice to our trees and use wide tree straps or use a pavilion in the state parks.

Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDave View Post
    Welcome to the site, I'm a long time lurker too, read more than post.

I understand that there is some sort of odd law in Fl state parks that forbids attaching things to trees. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to clarify. Best be careful to stay on the right side of the law.

Dave
    That's a strange law. Thank you for the welcome. I always try to stay on the right side of the law, I'd rather not get in any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just stay out of the State Parks, and you'll be fine.

The barrier islands are always a great place to go camp. Not sure what part of S Sunny Florida you're in, but the small islands off of the Vero Beach/Fort Pierce areas were fantastic places to camp with a good amount of privacy. I didn't do much car camping in Florida, but boat camping was high on my list.

Otherwise, pick a trailhead of the Florida Trail and hike in a little bit. There are always good spots and the trail isn't heavily used. Can't help with the kayak rental; they would likely be too close to too many people for my taste.

Edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to the Forums!
    Thanks for the welcome!

If I had a boat, the barrier islands would be a fun, and the Islands off of Vero would be great. The Florida Trail sounds ideal though. Do you need any special permits to camp off of it, or do you just go?

I'm a ways south of Vero Beach, closer to the Ft. Lauderdale area, probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHangingTechy View Post
    State parks do not allow anything to come in contact with their trees hanging or otherwise. Too many people have ruined the privilege for the rest of us.

Federal parks take a more common sense approach, if damage is done take it down. If there is no harm? then no foul. As always be nice to our trees and use wide tree straps or use a pavilion in the state parks.

Welcome to the forum.
    I wish people had more respect for the trees, especially in public or other areas. Unfortunately, the law makes more sense phrased like that.

I'll take a look into the Federal parks, and thanks for the information and welcome!

Hammock
    Hennessy 1.6ULB, WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,Sierra
    Suspension
    Straps
    Camp Girl you are welcome to come to a meeting of the Happy Hoofers the Broward county chapter of the Florida trail group. We are having our first meeting of the season this Thursday 7:30 sharp at the fern forest Nature center.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/67137159048/
    We have many hikes and paddle trips for the upcoming season on and off the FT. Please feel free to ask me any questions.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    First of all, WELCOME to HF!
    Secondly, as you lurkings may have revealed before now, we are in the planning stages of FH2 (the second annual Florida hang).
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38422
    It'll be in sunny Ocala Nat'l Forest (not exactly sunny S FL) but I bet you could find someone to carpool with pretty easily. Last year we had a couple of kayaks you could borrow to paddle around the lake and we are planning to bring them again this year.
    Other than that, stay posted - trips come up all the time.
    Hope to see you at FH2!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from central Florida. The South West Florida Water Management District has some of the best areas up this way check your equivelent down there. Lived down on the sw coast years ago Ft. Myers and Labelle but haven't been in the area in years.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You meant to say "winter" camping in Florida, didnt' you?

Welcome from your neighbor in Palm Beach!
    The Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) and the Water Management District Lands are scattered all around but can be found on most detailed maps. Ocala National Forest isn't too bad of a drive up the Turnpike, to Orlando, then SR 429 to US 441, then US 19 running right through ONF.

Close to you, Allapattah Flats has trails and camping. They have a website with phone for more information.

Definitely keep track of the planning for the big 2nd Annual Florida Hang. We had a little over 50 people last year and will definitely beat that number this January. They even have some open ground for those funny looking things called tents
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp_Stomper View Post
    Camp Girl you are welcome to come to a meeting of the Happy Hoofers the Broward county chapter of the Florida trail group. We are having our first meeting of the season this Thursday 7:30 sharp at the fern forest Nature center.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/67137159048/
    We have many hikes and paddle trips for the upcoming season on and off the FT. Please feel free to ask me any questions.
    That looks like great fun! I'll see if I can talk the family into going, I think they'd enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    First of all, WELCOME to HF!
    Secondly, as you lurkings may have revealed before now, we are in the planning stages of FH2 (the second annual Florida hang).
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38422
    It'll be in sunny Ocala Nat'l Forest (not exactly sunny S FL) but I bet you could find someone to carpool with pretty easily. Last year we had a couple of kayaks you could borrow to paddle around the lake and we are planning to bring them again this year.
    Other than that, stay posted - trips come up all the time.
    Hope to see you at FH2!
    Thanks! I did peek in the camping trips area, but I somehow managed to miss it completely. Looks like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Welcome aboard from central Florida. The South West Florida Water Management District has some of the best areas up this way check your equivelent down there. Lived down on the sw coast years ago Ft. Myers and Labelle but haven't been in the area in years.
    Wow, great idea! I'll look into that too!

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    You meant to say "winter" camping in Florida, didnt' you?

Welcome from your neighbor in Palm Beach!
    The Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) and the Water Management District Lands are scattered all around but can be found on most detailed maps. Ocala National Forest isn't too bad of a drive up the Turnpike, to Orlando, then SR 429 to US 441, then US 19 running right through ONF.

Close to you, Allapattah Flats has trails and camping. They have a website with phone for more information.

Definitely keep track of the planning for the big 2nd Annual Florida Hang. We had a little over 50 people last year and will definitely beat that number this January. They even have some open ground for those funny looking things called tents
    Howdy neighbor! Lol, yes I did mean "winter" camping!

I'll take a look into Allapattah Flats, and I'll definitely look some more at the group hang. Sounds like a lot of people, and lots of fun!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and great ideas! I now have a long list of possibles! Sounds like I'm needing to plan a few trips now! You've all given me a great excuse to camp out, so I'm happy!

I'm going to go happily lurk some more now in the large expanse of the forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast