Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Question JRB vs Warbonnet top quilt

Can You help me please. I'm thinking to order Blackbird with under quilt from Warbonnet. That is what I need. But because of the mailing from USA to Finland I could order Black Mamba top quilt with same order. Or I could choose to order JRB top quilt with some extra stuff (hood and sleeves) later.

I like the Black mamba because it is simple. But if JRB does what it says, it would be great multipurpose system. But I have learned at this age that "do all" is not always good for nothing. Are there any caveats in JRB system. Does anyone use all those nice options (down to earth omintape etc.) constantly in real world? Or is the truth that Snivellers are used mostly as a simple over quilts?

For example In my experience omni-tape does not work very well after few years of use when it gets old and if the gear's usability is based on omni-tape in my opinion that is not a good thing.

In one sentence: Should I bother to order JRB with it's many options or to get it on with Black mamba's simplicity?

Here are the contenders:

The Rocky Mountain Sniveller (Long) weighs 28 oz., comes with a 1.5 oz. silnyl compression sack, and can be stuffed to 8”x8”x10”; Thickness 3".

Black Mamba Winter Long rated 0 F; Thickness 3"; Weight of the down 17 oz; Weight 27.8 oz

And links are:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/topquilt.php
    Last edited by voivalin; 02-04-2010 at 01:44.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You aren't going to get many real-experience opinions about the Mamba, because he's only been making them for a couple of weeks.

The usefulness of the JRB depends on whether or not you actually wear it. If you do, then it is indeed a fine setup that saves weight.

I think the sleeves and hood are more than worth the money, because of their versatility.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Ask this guy:

http://www.francistapon.com/Travels/.../CDT-Gear-List

He started in New Mexico in the spring with a No Sniveler and was freezing, JRB did a "rush" order on the first Rocky Mountain No Sniveler (appropriately named) and got it to him. It was his sleeping quilt and warm garment for a 6000 mile hike up the spine of the rockies and back south. That head hole rocks. I'm considering tapering the footbox on my RMNS, as I never plan to use it as an UQ. It would save a couple of ounces maybe and help keep my toes warm, it would also be a LOT easier to do than to put a head hole in a Mamba. That head hole ROCKS!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I own and have used both. Well, I've got the 3-Season Black Mamba (the BM ) not the Winter model. I have used my RMS extensively and have been very, very pleased with it. The finished Black Mamba design I've only been using for a couple of months now.

Totally agree with angrysparrow, depends on your style. I just posted this in another thread, but I have not really used the head-hole of the RMS that often. The few times I have used it, it has been marvelous. But, I'm too scared of getting it close to the fire at camp. If you aren't a fire-person, then the RMS is a FANTASTIC quilt. I don't sleep on the ground and I'm a still sleeper, so I've never had use for the wings. I do have a couple of the hoods that I very much like. Tis true that when it comes to versatility, the Jacks do a pretty bang-up job.

Like you, I am a big fan of simplicity in some of my set-ups. I like the weight savings simple things bring me and the Black Mamba is certainly no exception there. The footbox is very roomy. I don't know if it has larger dimensions than the footbox that can be made with the JRB quilts, but it sure feels roomier. It was built to be a topquilt and only a topquilt and I believe it excels in the role. I've been able to go well below the rating on the 3-Season while staying very warm. Finding a better quality topquilt will be no easy task.

You'll get a very high quality product either way you decide to go. Both of these shops are on most people's short list. My preference is towards the Black Mambas due to their reduced weight for the same, if not more, amount of heat retention. Good luck with your decision!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I dont have the JRB quilt you are looking at but based off the JRB gear I do own it is top notch and would be hard to beat. TQ,UQ, Sharpe all in one is hard to beat.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm sure that you would be extremely happy (and warm) with either UQ. IMHO any piece of gear that can serve more than one purpose gets a +1 in my book.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Those thoughts were going thru my head when I was trying to figure out what overall "system" works for my style of camping. I ended up with a 3 season black mamba (funny, Cannibal, I hope nobody makes a piece of equipment that has the acronyms RUNS) and a down vest. I plan to purchase the JRB down sleeves. For what I do, this gives me the most versatility.

You brought up another important point- shipping to Finland from the states. Guess thats something to check out too, but I would gladly pay more if it meant getting what I really wanted.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Got a JRB HR and a prototype Mamba ... see my avatar ... it has a head-hole.!!!!
    Shug
    Love them both .... each for different temps.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You aren't going to get many real-experience opinions about the Mamba, because he's only been making them for a couple of weeks.

The usefulness of the JRB depends on whether or not you actually wear it. If you do, then it is indeed a fine setup that saves weight.

I think the sleeves and hood are more than worth the money, because of their versatility.
    I do wear mine, it prevents me from having to lug around my nearly 2 lb north face fleece jacket in the winter time. I mainly wear it during camp when im setting up my stuff, i have two so i attach my under quilt and just wear the tq til im ready to goto bed. It does help keep you warm, i only wish it had better closures for the arms, like a drawstring so you could cinch it tight around the arms ( i think this would boost its wearable temp range alot), this is a mod i will do in the future. when im ready to goto bed, i just slip it off and put it in my hammock for the tq. I also use it for night hiking, but wear a patagonia houdini windshirt over it to protect it (i recommend doing something similar, as you dont want thorns tearing up your quilt).

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Got a JRB HR and a prototype Mamba ... see my avatar ... it has a head-hole.!!!!
    Shug
    Love them both .... each for different temps.
    I assume the mamba is for the coldest of the cold?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast