Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Which tarp for Skeeter Beeter Pro

I have a tarp I use for winter camping, Noah 12. Yes, it is huge and yes it is heavy....but it gives me good coverage and I can deal with the weight for now. However, I would like a smaller tarp for use in nicer weather. I was leaning towards the MacCat Standard, but wondered if it might be too small and that I might need to look at the deluxe....??? Thoughts? Other options in the same price range? I want to have something smaller and lighter for spring and summer outings, but still want coverage for the occasional rain showers that pop up here in the south.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    aboyd:
    check out the new tarp selection at Arrowhead Equipment. They look great and should cover you SB Pro with no issues.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    i had been using a small poly in camo with mine. i just got a funky forest tarp..after looking at one a friend got for Christmas it is a 10x 10 and should work well i will be using it in about a week to do some winter camping...very nice..comes with stakes cordage and tie outs in its own stuff sack

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    aboyd:
    check out the new tarp selection at Arrowhead Equipment. They look great and should cover you SB Pro with no issues.
    I like the looks of the Shangri La, I might just consider this as my first choice for now...loos to be good coverage for the weight.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Ordered the Shangri La for AHE today. I spoke with Paul and this sounds like it will fit my needs just right...and it was on sale!!!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    aboyd:
    Congrats on reaching tarp Nirvana with the purchase of the Shangri-La from AHE. Paul does some amazing work and will have it out to you asap! Hope to see it on the trail sometime in the near future, I was thinking of getting one for a summer tarp!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Hey there!
    Do you remember the tarp I had (not the Noah, the other one) at the Heart of Dixie Hang? The Shangri La is almost identical to that one, but it (the Shangri La) has a slightly longer ridge and is a few inches wider at the wide end. I used this for 5 nights over my SBPro with great effect. One night it rained (for like 5 minutes) but I stayed perfectly dry. You will certainly like this size tarp. That was just a loaner from the maker, and I returned it last week.

At Pine Mountain this weekend, I took my Noah 12 on our trek; it was big and gave me great coverage with the cold, but it was heavier than I wanted to carry. You need to get out to FDR State Park (Ga) to test out your gear! The trails are great and it is less than 2 hours from you.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Hey there!
    Do you remember the tarp I had (not the Noah, the other one) at the Heart of Dixie Hang? The Shangri La is almost identical to that one, but it (the Shangri La) has a slightly longer ridge and is a few inches wider at the wide end. I used this for 5 nights over my SBPro with great effect. One night it rained (for like 5 minutes) but I stayed perfectly dry. You will certainly like this size tarp. That was just a loaner from the maker, and I returned it last week.

At Pine Mountain this weekend, I took my Noah 12 on our trek; it was big and gave me great coverage with the cold, but it was heavier than I wanted to carry. You need to get out to FDR State Park (Ga) to test out your gear! The trails are great and it is less than 2 hours from you.
    I am really considering doing this trail. Did you do the entire trail?

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Check out the trip report:
    Preemptive trip report Pine Mountain Trail, GA

The main trail is 23 miles (exactly). It snakes in and around on the north and south side of the ridges, and on the opposite sides are a number of connector trails and short cuts. All together there are 43 miles of trails (I believe) and 14 designated campsites. We started at the end (west at the water tower) and went east. We took 2 connectors cuts and ended up doing about 17.5 miles. These connectors along with the main trail make several loops. The trails are well maintained, and the State Park regulates how many campers are in each site (2 of the sites are limited to 3 tents each, others allow more).

If you have a gps into which you can upload routes, PM me as I have finally put together gpx files for 95% of the trail system. Most of what I am missing, I hiked this weekend, but I forgot to load new batteries before I hit the trail the first day and they ran out, so I am missing a small middle section.

Cost via the state park is pricy ($9/day plus a daily parking fee) but you can beat that by paying a small fee per year to join the Pine Mountain Trail Association; hiking is free for members. You must purchase membership in advance with the trail association, not at the State Park. See http://www.pinemountaintrail.org/ for more details.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts