Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Interesting idea miyanc. You still use an actual pillow right? Or are you using the pad as your pillow.
    I still use a pillow but usually its my jacket. It also helps for reading in the hammock. I usually read before bed.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling +MSH
    Can you melt folds into the pad (alternating top and bottom) with a hot knife or soldering iron to turn your cheap ccf roll up into a z-rest-type folding pad?
    If so, how deep can you melt the folds/channels before your pad starts tearing? Half way?

DT

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewuds View Post
    I originally used a "solid" blue CCF pad too. After a few time of fighting the curl I bought a CCF pad fro. Wally world that is (for want of a better term) textured. It is much more pliable and user friendly. I think it was $14 not the usual $7. It works really well and is just as warm as the solid CCF.

YMMV
    lost
    That's what I use, too, and I like it. I trimmed it to match the width of my back pack and cut it to my height. Works great!

Hammock
    Amazon
    Insulation
    UQ Blank
    Suspension
    D.I.Y. Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    That's what I use, too, and I like it. I trimmed it to match the width of my back pack and cut it to my height. Works great!
    Do you round out the corners or leave them square?

Love NC, ... someday.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    10' X 12' Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the input everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewuds View Post
    I originally used a "solid" blue CCF pad too. After a few time of fighting the curl I bought a CCF pad fro. Wally world that is (for want of a better term) textured. It is much more pliable and user friendly. I think it was $14 not the usual $7. It works really well and is just as warm as the solid CCF.

YMMV
    lost
    lost, Is THIS the pad you are referring to? It looks like it's $15 at walmart (in store).
    Or is THIS the one.

Spent last night in the hammock and fought my stiff ccf pad all night.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    They are stiff... My way of doing it is when I unroll it I roll it up the opposite way before sliding it in the hammock... Also I have found folding it like a hot dog bun before sticking it in helps flatten it out...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    For now..the trees
    Insulation
    Blue WW pad
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone.

lost, Is THIS the pad you are referring to? It looks like it's $15 at walmart (in store).
    Or is THIS the one.

Spent last night in the hammock and fought my stiff ccf pad all night.
    I'm wondering this same thing. I just bought the stiffer $7 one, but I'm debating on returning it for the egg crate one. I'm worried my width (6'2" broad shoulders) will cause issues.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    They are stiff... My way of doing it is when I unroll it I roll it up the opposite way before sliding it in the hammock... Also I have found folding it like a hot dog bun before sticking it in helps flatten it out...
    Exactly. I do both of these before putting it in and it definitely helps a lot. Also I set it up early in camp and put something (pack, boots, whatever) on the pad to hold it flat while I'm not in the hammock. If you let those pads lay flat for an hour or so they stop trying to roll up so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by supercoopxl View Post
    I'm wondering this same thing. I just bought the stiffer $7 one, but I'm debating on returning it for the egg crate one. I'm worried my width (6'2" broad shoulders) will cause issues.
    I think no matter what you're going to have some of your shoulders exposed and get cold. I combat this by putting my coat under me, laying below me but in the same position as if I were wearing it. This way the sleeves bunch up around your shoulders and arms and keep them warm. I've had cold feet a few times (now I carry a small piece of CCF for a 'spot' pad and it usually ends up under my feet,) but never cold shoulders.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    For now..the trees
    Insulation
    Blue WW pad
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    That's a great idea, I'll have to give that a try. I may just keep the cheaper one and just supplement it. I have a fleece bag liner and a woobie poncho liner, so I'm sure I can come up with some sort of compromise.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by supercoopxl View Post
    That's a great idea, I'll have to give that a try. I may just keep the cheaper one and just supplement it. I have a fleece bag liner and a woobie poncho liner, so I'm sure I can come up with some sort of compromise.
    I bought two CCF pads at Wal-Mart and kept one full length and cut the other into a 3/4 length (I'm thinking when it's warm that and a pad under my feet will be fine,) a large sit pad and a small sit pad. When I'm worried about cold I take the full length and both sit pads... I keep the pads under the hammock and if I wake up with a cold spot I throw one in. I also have a fleece liner and have taken it several times, but never needed it. I stopped taking it.

The sit pads are awesome in camp and weigh next to nothing anyway. The only drawback is bulk, but that's not nearly as much of a concern as weight for me. YMMV.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast