Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New Direction

Following the tests on bridge hammocks, I am leaning to this design now. Lots to work out, but gotta start somewhere. Thanks for all the comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I don't know what I'm looking at now...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I don't know what I'm looking at now...
    Sorry for the confusion. I have put the spaceframe hammock on the back burner for now. This is a 'normal' hammock that has added support near the midpoint by adding guylines further up the trees. I assume the bed will deform along its length without some form of spreader bar which is why I put them in at the secondary guylines above. I do all this in Sketchup as it's a free program before committing any effort into a real world prototype. As you can imagine, I have dozens of unworkable ideas in my head, so I find it best to build them virtually first. The real challenge is designing a 2 person hammock since my wife won't let me hike alone.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghpacific View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I have put the spaceframe hammock on the back burner for now. This is a 'normal' hammock that has added support near the midpoint by adding guylines further up the trees. I assume the bed will deform along its length without some form of spreader bar which is why I put them in at the secondary guylines above. I do all this in Sketchup as it's a free program before committing any effort into a real world prototype. As you can imagine, I have dozens of unworkable ideas in my head, so I find it best to build them virtually first. The real challenge is designing a 2 person hammock since my wife won't let me hike alone.
    PM me later. I have an idea that may help you. It was something I was considering for a test hammock. My idea isnt really meant for production it is more for just me to try out, but I will share it with you.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Starting to look like a cable stayed suspension bridge.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Starting to look like a cable stayed suspension bridge.
    I get a lot of my ideas from studying bridges. I watched a video on engineering where a self-supporting bridge from China was shown (see attached) and was really intrigued into trying to make this work for spaceframe hammocks, but couldn't figure it out. There is some great stuff out there in other disciplines, but they don't always translate well into backpackable items. Looking at travois systems, etc. This is at the very least, a lot of fun and keeps my mind sharpened.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghpacific View Post
    I get a lot of my ideas from studying bridges. I watched a video on engineering where a self-supporting bridge from China was shown (see attached) and was really intrigued into trying to make this work for spaceframe hammocks, but couldn't figure it out. There is some great stuff out there in other disciplines, but they don't always translate well into backpackable items. Looking at travois systems, etc. This is at the very least, a lot of fun and keeps my mind sharpened.
    Problem houston. A couple of companies already have patents on a design in the second pic. Use caution!
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    For years I hiked and slept alone in deer blinds I had built on about 4,000 acres in Texas. I particularly enjoyed orienteering in the dark and hunting feral hogs in the rain. When I turned 60 the wife said no more and she even went out with me one weekend (stayed at a hotel in town though).
    We compromised and got a "Spot" satellite tracking devise. I say she only wanted me to wear it so she could find the corpse for insurance purposes.

That reminds me that there is about a 100 foot cliff out there I never did repel off of.
    Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!

Bless all of those who go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf, whether they wear Blue, Red or Camo, and all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12