Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images

can't we all just get along?

The good news is I've got my support system switched out on my clark (thanks to grizzes helpful video), and it works great, bad news is I had company early this morning. After hanging out a while (a nice cool night and lightening storm to boot), I decide to get up and call it a night, as I'm getting out of my hammock I flip on my light and there they are two glowing eyeballs staring right at me, and at that moment this thing starts to growl. I live in the country and hang in an area surrounded by tall grass, which is nice yes, pretty to look at, but makes me feel like prey. It never took it's eyes off of me as I was backing away toward the house.

My dad and I were just talking last week about bobcats, and how a while back he'd seen one on our land. I don't know if this is true, but there's been two instances where I have been sitting outside and heard something in the process of getting destroyed, it's a horrible sound. I know we've all probably had these occurances, I just had to voice the fact that I got scared. I will have to overcome this eventually, because someday very soon, I won't be able to run to my house, and there will be larger even creepier things out there.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    There was a guy up in Hermantown, MN near Duluth that was attacked in his garage by a bobcat a week ago. They can be pretty vicious.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    There was a guy up in Hermantown, MN near Duluth that was attacked in his garage by a bobcat a week ago. They can be pretty vicious.
    Seriously? How bad was the attack? In his garage?!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll be interested to hear more details on the story pizza is referring to as well. Sounds like one got trapped or cornered inside his garage.
    Bobcats are very illusive are rarely seen. Although you sure wouldn't want to corner one, I don't think they are known for ambushing people.
    My first guess about your case Sara, would be canine (dog, coyote, wolf?).
    Of course if rabies were part of the picture, that makes any animal act "unnatural". But an animal w/ rabies will only last so long before dieing & it sounds like from what you've herd before, you may have a predator (canine) living in your area.
    I'd be very careful until you learn what it is.
    At the very least, keep a strong light & possibly pepper spray (or handgun) w/ you.

This makes me think of what is most likely a localized problem. Not something you are likely to encounter on the trail. JMHO
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I'll be interested to hear more details on the story pizza is referring to as well. Sounds like one got trapped or cornered inside his garage.
    Bobcats are very illusive are rarely seen. Although you sure wouldn't want to corner one, I don't think they are known for ambushing people.
    My first guess about your case Sara, would be canine (dog, coyote, wolf?).
    Of course if rabies were part of the picture, that makes any animal act "unnatural". But an animal w/ rabies will only last so long before dieing & it sounds like from what you've herd before, you may have a predator (canine) living in your area.
    I'd be very careful until you learn what it is.
    At the very least, keep a strong light & possibly pepper spray (or handgun) w/ you.

This makes me think of what is most likely a localized problem. Not something you are likely to encounter on the trail. JMHO

I don't know what it is slowhike, and I don't necessarily EVER want to come close enough to finding out. I did have my pocketknife on me and flipped out ready to rassle, although at the time didnt feel like much defense, better than nothing though I guess. I know we have coyotes, because i passed a dead one on the highway near our house just yesterday and I hear them all the time, but I wouldnt think them to be very chatty in a personal situation like that one. Who knows.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is a small point and mostly moot... but _I_ would refer to a cats guttural sounds as a "snarl" rather than a "growl". Which would lead me to the canine/coyote side of the animal kingdom. Cats I have watched tend to crouch down into the grass rather than stand up in it like a dog does. Just my musing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

bobcat in garage

chased down some links on this. Here's one. Fox News ("we report the facts..." ) reports that the guy was hanging out with his ducks and geese in the garage, the bobcat came into the garage and went after the fowl, and the guy went after the bobcat.
    “He pinned a few [ducks] in a corner, and that is when I went after the cat. ... we chased each other and he climbed on the walls and onto the overhead door. I don’t know if he bit me in the head or clawed me, but I was bleeding pretty good.”

After a 10-minute skirmish, Lucia said the cat and ducks scattered as they exited the garage’s service door.
    you decide....

Grizz

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I'm so glad I live in Australia, you guys have way too many bity things over there.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    I'm so glad I live in Australia, you guys have way too many bity things over there.
    ahhh ... we don't have croc's and about a dozen of your poisonous snakes pal!!!

Yeah ... I watched Crocodile Dundee several time!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm with Grizz. Bobcats are extremely shy of man. That one was really hungry.
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast