Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Hammock is slightly less than 5 feet wide (58 inches)
    Then that's why you're not finding the asym angle that you want at the stated ridgeline lengths. You just don't have as much fabric to spread out.

I would try decreasing the ridgeline length by about 3-4 inches, and see if you can find a comfy spot with that much sag.

If not, you may need to try a mini-spreader bar configuration on the end, and lay more in-line. Perhaps even using something as a pillow under your knees.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    I don't know how this would work with the Home Depot line that you have but you may want to give it a try as an adjustable ridge line.

Attach a prussic to the ridge line and nearby tie a loop into the ridge line. Connect the loop to the prussic with a carabiner and then slide the prussic towards or away from the loop to change the overall length of the ridge line. When there is more slack between prussic and loop the ridgeline length will be shorter.

If the prussic didn't work you could tie a series of loops and join different ones together with a carabiner to vary the overall ridgeline length. This would only give you big jumps between "settings" however.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm not unhappy with it but the point of this thread was to learn how to get as much out of it as possible. I did a DIY with inexpensive, locally available fabric and supplies to see if I liked hammocking .... I do, so eventually I'll spend some dough on something nice once I get a good feel for what I like and want. Also, I thought about the dogbone, but I don't know how to make one. I never thought to search for info on it here. I know you can buy them from NiteIze

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I'm not unhappy with it but the point of this thread was to learn how to get as much out of it as possible.
    No worries, I think that's a fine approach.

Here's the mini-spreader bar configuration that I mentioned.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    With a 58" wide hammock, you should be able to get a decent diagonal. I also have an 11 ft. hammock, 60" wide, and 109 inch ridgeline works fine for me, though sometimes I go as short as 106 inches. I do like adjustable ridgelines, even though I don't do much adjustment. My hammock ridgeline is always tight - if it were not tight, it seems like it would serve no purpose.

And yes, an 11 ft. hammock with a 109" ridgeline will naturally create a larger arc, parabola, half circle or apple slice, whatever you want to call it. The vertical dimensions of your half circle (ridgeline to bottom of hammock) will be larger (as will all dimensions). Therefore, the ridgeline will be higher off the ground than a shorter hammock just to maintain 18 inches off the ground. This means that you'll also have to hang your tarp a bit higher to have proper clearance over the hammock ridgeline. This is one of the drawbacks of longer hammocks, but a small price to pay, in my opinion, for the comforts I derive from the longer 11 ft. hammock.

I recently upgraded from the HG standard CF tarp to the Winter Palace precisely because of my commitment to 11 ft. hammocks. The standard tarp was only 8.5 ft. wide and I really didn't feel it gave me the protection against blowing precipitation I like to have. I therefore upgraded to the Winter Palace, which is 10 ft. 7 inches wide, giving me much more of the protection I crave.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    Litetrek, I hate to be adding to the many answers but, I think at 18' you may have to stand on something to get your straps a little higher. I have a DIY dbl layer gathered end hammock. It started at 11' so is prolly 10'8" or less and was 60" wide so is 57" now. My ridgeline is real close to 83% of the 10' 8". In the woods I try to find trees about 15' apart. The ones in my yard are a bit more than that but I don't think 18. In my yard I reach as high as I can and I'm not real high off the ground. I would like to be a cpl inches higher. I do have plenty of room for a diagnal lay. I think where my butt is has as much affect on my comfort as anything. I sleep head left and feet right, if my butt is too close to center or on the right, I am not comfortable. If my butt is left of center I am more comfortable. Getting comfy takes fiddle time. Get in the hammock and try moving around up down left right etc. Head higher, foot higher can make a difference too. Good luck with finding the sweet spot.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Charley, thanks for the info. I've got lots and lots of trees in my yard but most of them have a little tree between them that is in the way. The only two trees that work for a hammock are a little too far apart. The first time I tried it out I figured I that I didn't know what I was doing other than stuff I read so I decided to just try some stuff and adjust in the future.
    Last edited by litetrek; 06-14-2013 at 15:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12