DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Where is RHK?? Im thinking KY?
    I'd have to guess that it stands for "R. H. K. Whiteley" who was a Lieutenant involved with the Trail of Tears. There is a Trail of Tears National Park which passes through the present-day states of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Tennessee (map).

Huh. You learn something new every day.
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Images
    Roan High Knob.

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Roan High Knob.
    As usual, disregard everything I said. It sounded good though, right?
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; RB
    Quote Originally Posted by digrat View Post
    As usual, disregard everything I said. It sounded good though, right?
    I thought so
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; RB
    Can anyone enlighten me? (wow the palces my wife could go with that )

What type of terrain can be expected on this trip? By that I mean, I have a good pair of insulated red wing work boots that would serve great if there is going to be quite a bit of slick rock crawling type stuff. However, they are not very well suited for mucky slick mud etc., because they have work boot tread and not off trail lug type soles. I would assume that it all depends on where you are as to what type of walking environment you'll get into, I just didn't know if someone has alot of experience in the gorge and could lend me some gorge smarts for a few.

The reason I ask is I have been on the fence here the past few days about buying either a new sleeping bag (to replace the old stand by cold weather military bag that weighs 8#) or a descent pair of hiking boots. If I can get by with my current boots then I'll opt for the new bag, if not I may start boot shoping.

Thanks all! Still awaiting the "retro" pack from Florida .

pax,
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I have no idea what the 'tread' will be like but when I see the word gorge connected to hangers some hairs begin to bristle....my bet is rock/steep/root/ice/snow=scenic healthy fun

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Medicine Man has it right. There will be slick rock, mucky slick mud, roots, leaves/needles, duff, creek crossings, in other words, be prepared for anything. It is steep, slippery, and exposed in places, flat and boring in others. In other words, be prepared for anything. It is usually colder in the valleys than the weather reports say. There are bears there, a man was attacked there in 2010, so you have to hang your food by law. There are very high, sheer cliffs throughout the area which can be very dangerous.

But, it's very beautiful and there is so much to see. There is always some green, there are plants there that grow no where else in the world. It is a popular place, so you will most likely see others there, but in some places and at the right time of day, you can feel like you're the only human for miles.

I'm not sure how else to describe the area. If you like, watch the following videos to get an idea of part of your planned route (Gray's Arch, Rough Trail, and Pinch-em-tight). I will soon post another that was shot last weekend which will show some more of that same route (Whittleton/Sheltowee Trace).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aHCeqio9YQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuhVwz628X0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7GV__icdE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR7wtCK8Z8
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thank you Bonsaihiker!
    You know some place it really is just about being there. I've been a 'mile monster' on the AT for over 1700 miles. In places like this I really want to stop and breath deeply. Remember when the band of brothers found Fanhorn Forest.....and the elf said something like 'there are old memories here', well I cant sense the memories if rushed!
    That said, and granted the weather/roads/ice/etc. may be the pits, once on the ground (thank you Great Lord for crampons) then I'll feel free to explore.
    Glad so many are PMing with interest. Wish I was knowledgeable about the RRG----who knows, maybe a veteran might join us? Bonsai? I know you've done this loop tooooop many times...chance for you to see my rehabilited Optimus 99R-now that's got to be a temptation!
    p.s. the Maddie vids are wonderful

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thinking about coming, but I have long since gotten rid of my old E-frame, not that it was much of a pack, anyway.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    if i don't go to ny to visit the family, I'll be there. I usually rock the big green Jansport from the 70's. It'll be a squeaky pomp in the worock

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast