Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Any time spent in the Cirque of the Towers is time well spent.

You seem to have had no problem finding suitable trees. Every time I hiked through there, I had to contend with either multiple feet of snow or clouds of mosquitoes. You look to have missed both. I'm envious.
    Well, I being wanting to visit WY and it's Rockies. Yellowstone and Grand Tetons were out because of no dogs on the trail, even leashed.

Trees are good for the first 20 miles on the east side of the route. But as you head back home south down the west side for 20 miles, all those great lake spots get tough on tree quantity and quality.

And there are several personal web pages out there with trip reports that I referenced. August is late enough for bugs and early enough for great weather.
    Last edited by wildgene; 08-29-2010 at 21:21. Reason: more detail

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ironic, as you hiked right under Warbonnet Peak between Lonesome and Big Sandy Lakes!

Listen, about that "massive boulder scramble around a small lake just before Lonesome Lake which was a full body workout.". Are you talking about the boulder field on the west(?) side of Arrowhead Lake at the bottom of Jack *** Pass, just south of and above Lonesome lake?

Where is the lake in the last pic, and the one where your hammock picture was made?

Thanks for the pics! Beautiful!

EDIT: PS: How did you sleep in your hammock?
    Your correct about the locale, that must have been the lake's name - nobody there around knew. I knew I should had picked up the South Wind River Range at REI - Denver when I visited it on day one driving from OKC. It would have saved us a lost day. Saw the upper pass but already scrambled half of the boudlers.

The hammock hang picture was the last night at Dad's Lake. Note to others: that west side with all the lakes for 20 miles gets tough on hangs - lots of cedars and firs. I actually had to get that close to the lake beacuse of the lack of trees and not good choices anywhere close.

Not too bad considering that I hadn't been in a hammock for 6 years - wasn't perfectly planned under insulation. Though I had MacEntrye's IX UQ 3/4 - good for mid 50's and a AMK emergency blanket inside the hammock with me once it got below that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Any time spent in the Cirque of the Towers is time well spent. ....... I'm envious.
    Amen to that!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    Your correct about the locale, that must have been the lake's name - nobody there around knew. I knew I should had picked up the South Wind River Range at REI - Denver when I visited it on day one driving from OKC. It would have saved us a lost day. Saw the upper pass but already scrambled half of the boudlers.
    I can relate. Having left Lonesome lake towards Big Sandy several years ago, and still suffering from bad altitude sickness (by far my worst bout with AMS), I was just looking at the ground and following my friends towards Jack *** Pass. We stopped for a breather, and I realized we were on the wrong side of the lake, and had a pretty good climb to reach the pass trail. I had never been in that boulder field with other than a day pack, but we had 40 lb packs, and I knew it was rough. I was out voted, or I just left the decision to the others. Who did not want to climb to the trail, and chose to just take the shorter, no climb route through the boulders. After about 1/2 hour, we all knew we had made a big miserable mistake. We were close to dark getting to Big Sandy, even the young guys were totally wasted. Lord I slept good in my HH UL Explorer SS, despite the wind and my flapping tarp.

The hammock hang picture was the last night at Dad's Lake. Note to others: that west side with all the lakes for 20 miles gets tough on hangs - lots of cedars and firs. I actually had to get that close to the lake beacuse of the lack of trees and not good choices anywhere close.
    Oh, I should have recognized that! On the above trip, we started on the west side, and that was our first stop for the night, Big Sandy was the last. It was my 1st night to ever try and sleep in a hammock. It did not go well at all, but the following nights did as I learned by doing. It took me a few days to fall in love with my hammock.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Makes me dream of being back there someday.... AWESOME pics but for those that haven't made it to the Winds, pictures don't even come close.... AH.... Maybe next year I'll make the trip again....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Just wanted to let hammock forum members know that I now have a blog with Google's blogspot.com. It's entitled "WildGene Adventures". Hopefully the blog is accessible to anyone. Having never done any like this before, I hope I set up the blog correctly.

http://wildgeneadventures.blogspot.com

For those that viewed or made a comment on my first trip report for the year 2010: Wind River Range - Lizard Head Loop, I mentioned I was going to start a blog on my backpacking adventurers. We'll it took me all week including Labor Day weekend.

This something I wanted to a year ago. I don't know how long I will keep it up but I would like at least to blog about the rest of my trips this year. I should be able to do 2 more, maybe 3; I don't know about September. And one of those trips I would like it to be a snow adventure. Again something I wanted to do in nine years but never had.

If I keep disciplined, I would like to blog about backpacking in general and even do some gear reviews - written and video. I still have some nick-picking work on the blog. But I do have blogs from the entire week's trip to the Wind River Range hiking the Lizard Head Loop.

So for those you have nothing better do, you might want to check it out. The trips' pictures are probably a little bit of your time.
    Last edited by wildgene; 09-06-2010 at 23:07. Reason: added blog prefix

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12