Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
    That would be California winter right, or some place it where there is no wind and snow in winter.
    Oh, I'll be using it right here in Indiana - we get several feet of snow every winter and nasty cold winds. The doors close snugly with 6 inches to spare on each end of the hammock. As a Southern boy, I've learned real winter the hard way! I cut down the tarp length to the minimum I need.

See the picture below of my back yard last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
    Impressively light and a great professional job. Nicely done.
    Thanks Craig!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Eno One-Link
    Tarp
    Dreams of Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow 20 top Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!

Great!

Looks really great!!
    I dig the way you tweaked and customized the design. Your example is very inspirational too.

I received the supplies I need to do a similar tarp from Quest last week and my new roller presser foot for my sewing machine came in the mail Saturday.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rockroot=:-( View Post
    Looks really great!!
    I dig the way you tweaked and customized the design. Your example is very inspirational too.

I received the supplies I need to do a similar tarp from Quest last week and my new roller presser foot for my sewing machine came in the mail Saturday.
    Hey rock - thanks! I used a roller foot for the entire project. I did crank up the foot pressure a bit and while using a firm pull, kept everything fairly flat. The ridge came out pretty good. This is the only way I could figure out how to do it.

For the side and bottom edges I cheated - I did a single 1/4" fold and sewed it down all the way around. Then I folded it again and sewed it near the top of the edge so from the outside it looks like a single sewn line. This I found helps you keep the curves , well - curvy. I didn't have to hold the rolled edge and sew a small section at a time. Took 50 minutes to completely sew the edges of both sheets.

I did the pull outs last.

Here's a picture of my practice sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Nice job on the tarp LB...Love seeing all your DIY projects...Keep it up

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Nice job on the tarp LB...Love seeing all your DIY projects...Keep it up
    Thanks, X - love your camo bag you just posted! That is a neat and easy project.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Wow, Lost, that's excellent!

I love it when projects turn out so nice.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Awesome! (And curse you for telling me Quest Outfitters has Sylnylon 2nds - with BWDD out of the grey 2nds I had an excuse not to spend the $$!)

For the ridgeline did you first sew the two sylnylon halves together and then add the grosgrain in a second pass or just do it all at once? I really like the idea of grosgrain both for strength and the simplicity of not having try to wrangle all that syl on both sides of the needle (i.e you can keep the bulk all on the "outside" of the thread injector).

winter

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Oh, I'll be using it right here in Indiana - we get several feet of snow every winter and nasty cold winds. The doors close snugly with 6 inches to spare on each end of the hammock. As a Southern boy, I've learned real winter the hard way! I cut down the tarp length to the minimum I need.

See the picture below of my back yard last year.

Thanks Craig!
    I am looking at the space at the bottom of the tarp.
    If you were cooking and eating under that tarp in a windy snow storm it would be drafty as no tarp at all.
    If a winter tarp pitch is going to offer any level of comfort in winter winds it has to be nailed to the ground and if possible snow sealing the edges.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    Awesome! (And curse you for telling me Quest Outfitters has Sylnylon 2nds - with BWDD out of the grey 2nds I had an excuse not to spend the $$!)

For the ridgeline did you first sew the two sylnylon halves together and then add the grosgrain in a second pass or just do it all at once? I really like the idea of grosgrain both for strength and the simplicity of not having try to wrangle all that syl on both sides of the needle (i.e you can keep the bulk all on the "outside" of the thread injector).

Oops, looks like Lost_Biker already explained the ridgeline seam in another related thread about doing the Catcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Hey Jason. It's kind of hard to explain. I started with sewing together the 2 halves - 1/4" seam. Then I folded the grosgrain in half so it had a good crease - then I put the tarp edge inside the grosgrain - starting at the half way point of the tarp body. Sewed it down all the way to the end, then sewed the grosgrain together to make a loop for the ridgeline. Insert the rings or triangles now - BEFORE SEWING ANY FURTHER!

Now the fun part - bring the grosgrain back to the side keep folding it in half and sew it to the grosgrain ridge till you reach the place where you stopped.

Now do the other half the same way. When it's done, I sewed the top edge near the top edge (yeah, I know) to make it look like one piece.

Heres all the pictures I took of it while I was working. You'll have 3 grosgrain edges on one side and only 1 grosgrain edge on the other. Once its sewn together tightly, it will look like a single piece of grosgrain folded over the edge of the tarp.

I plan on sealing the top edge - funny, it's raining outside right now - there's pin holes near the edge I want to seal. If it wasn't for the pin holes, I wouldn't seal it as the tarp edge is sandwiched in between the grosgrain rather tightly - water doesn't have anyplace to go except down the top of the tarp.

When the 2 ends of the grosgrain meet in the middle, I just over lapped it and sewed it down.

I'll try to make some better pictures and an illustration so it will be easier to understand - I'm not very good at explaining things - ask anybody on the forums who've read any of my posts. I've been responsible for more head scratching than anyone!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Wow, Lost, that's excellent!

I love it when projects turn out so nice.

Thanks MDSH! I love it when anything works right - which is not often I'm afraid.

Thanks and See the post by lorax at the bottom. The 2nds is first quality as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
    I am looking at the space at the bottom of the tarp.
    If you were cooking and eating under that tarp in a windy snow storm it would be drafty as no tarp at all.
    If a winter tarp pitch is going to offer any level of comfort in winter winds it has to be nailed to the ground and if possible snow sealing the edges.
    Thats why I made the tarp so wide - the pics you see are for show and tell. Come winter it will be in "snug fit mode".

Oops, looks like Lost_Biker already explained the ridgeline seam in another related thread about doing the Catcuts.
    Thanks lorax - I'm having trouble keeping up with all the posts I've made.

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast