DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

Big Sur Rocks!

Big Sur is a phenomenal place to spend time at and HF member Big Sur is an incredibly helpful guy too.

Big Sur (Perry) offered to be a guide for our troop outing this month and we accepted. He pointed out a lot of local interests, specific nature tidbits, interacted with and informed the boys and was an overall fantastic part of our trip to Salmon Creek in Bir Sur.

The hike was short as it should be for a first hike like it was for about half the boys. The scenery was spectacular, everybody made it out alive and many are chatting up their parents about the great time they had.

We had 6 youth and 4 adults in hammocks and thanks to a recent DIY under quilt project we have 5 scouts closing in on finishing their (unofficial) hammock camping merit badge.

Thanks again to HF member Big Sur (Perry) for taking your time to direct our troop on a great outing.

Mike

ps- I have been searching for a thread that displayed a multiple hammock "wheel" type of stand. It had a center pole with hammocks extending like spokes on a wheel and ropes connecting the smaller staked poles along the "rim" of this wheel. If anybody can direct me to it I would be grateful.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Looks like a fun trip. Always nice to see the youngsters getting out. And Wow--now that's somewhere I never thought of going and it's not a bad drive from where I live. Will have to check that out this spring!
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Truly gorgeous and breath-taking scenery. I'm jealous!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    If I had the time to, I would give you the link to the post, but it is in the turtledog stand thread. Large thread, but I would almost swear by my life that is there where I saw it.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs &amp; whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    If I had the time to, I would give you the link to the post, but it is in the turtledog stand thread. Large thread, but I would almost swear by my life that is there where I saw it.
    Thanks. I sifted through what I thought was every thread on the subject and could not find it again. It was large as if for an entire patrol and with a trip to Mojave coming up I could use some direction.

Big Sur was indeed a take my breath away hike and again big thanks to Big Sur (HF member Perry) for offering to be our guide.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Carabiner/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Big Sur was indeed a take my breath away hike and again big thanks to Big Sur (HF member Perry) for offering to be our guide.
    Mike you're such a gentleman! Guys, Mountain Man Mike's gotta be one of the finest gentlemen on this planet! And he's heavily into DIY things, and he's a fabulous campground cook able to whip up biscuits on demand cooked over a tin foil oven he concocts out of thin air. What a great time I had thanks to Mike and all the other fathers and the sons! Wow! The best weekend I have had for many years!

And, I finally met someone I can take my hat off to for being as great a hiker as I am. I could not catch up with him for over 1 mile on the way up the mountain, but eventually I proved to be his worthy competitor but I have never in my life found anyone able to stay in front of me for very long on the trail and while he did get a head start on me I couldn't catch up so I know an equal when I meet one. Trying to remember his name exactly.. Izana? was that it? Izzy or Easy I think he said his nickname was. What a hiker! I called him and three other boys who were on my tail most of the way down the trail "Natural Born Hikers". I will always remember that!

And anyone lurking this thread, any time you need a guide anywhere in Big Sur, you know where to look! I'm actually in the process of putting together a little cottage industry part time business for me of renting DIY ultralight equipment and guiding city slickers in Big Sur for weekend loop trips and base camps and the like. So, look me up! I'd be happy to help y'all out with the latest scoop on trail conditions, weather conditions, water conditions etc. as well as playing harmonica in the wee hours in my sleeping bag I am out in the wilderness in Big Sur every weekend rain or shine!
    the meek will inherit the earth!

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images
    Beautiful! I have spent sometime there as well and it is truly spectacular!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs &amp; whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSur View Post
    Mike you're such a gentleman! Guys, Mountain Man Mike's gotta be one of the finest gentlemen on this planet! And he's heavily into DIY things, and he's a fabulous campground cook able to whip up biscuits on demand cooked over a tin foil oven he concocts out of thin air. What a great time I had thanks to Mike and all the other fathers and the sons! Wow! The best weekend I have had for many years!

And, I finally met someone I can take my hat off to for being as great a hiker as I am. I could not catch up with him for over 1 mile on the way up the mountain, but eventually I proved to be his worthy competitor but I have never in my life found anyone able to stay in front of me for very long on the trail and while he did get a head start on me I couldn't catch up so I know an equal when I meet one. Trying to remember his name exactly.. Izana? was that it? Izzy or Easy I think he said his nickname was. What a hiker! I called him and three other boys who were on my tail most of the way down the trail "Natural Born Hikers". I will always remember that!

And anyone lurking this thread, any time you need a guide anywhere in Big Sur, you know where to look! I'm actually in the process of putting together a little cottage industry part time business for me of renting DIY ultralight equipment and guiding city slickers in Big Sur for weekend loop trips and base camps and the like. So, look me up! I'd be happy to help y'all out with the latest scoop on trail conditions, weather conditions, water conditions etc. as well as playing harmonica in the wee hours in my sleeping bag I am out in the wilderness in Big Sur every weekend rain or shine!
    Perry was a fantastic host and guide not to mention all around great guy to be around. Ezana is the young man you are referring to and my guess is "Easy" would be a trail name to indicate just how easy he makes it look. He is a terrific kid and his parents are pure awesomeness.

The boys working or their hammock camping merit badge made some real progress. One more thing, I didn't notice it until just a couple of days ago, but the boulder at the top of the waterfall looks like the face of a critter.

Thanks again Perry for making it a wonderful trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    Beautiful! I have spent sometime there as well and it is truly spectacular!
    I agree mountaingoat, it's beautiful.

• + New Posts