WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    As far as I can tell from the setup videos, there are supposed to be carabiners included with the adjustable webbing suspension. Between the two hammocks I ordered, there are zero carabiners included. Have the setup procedures changed, were the carabiners omitted from my order, or do I need to provide the carabiners myself?
    They're not included, and you don't need them. Some use them, or lighter Dutch Clips, to make it quicker to attach the straps to the trees.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    As far as I can tell from the setup videos, there are supposed to be carabiners included with the adjustable webbing suspension. Between the two hammocks I ordered, there are zero carabiners included. Have the setup procedures changed, were the carabiners omitted from my order, or do I need to provide the carabiners myself?
    You could always unthread the strap from the buckles, and run the free end around the tree and through the fixed eye of the strap, then rethread the buckles. Saves some weight, but perfectly doable. The carabiners or dutch clips add speed and convenience.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Remember everyone, the OP is entitled to his/her opinion and remember what it's like to be new to all the info available here. I don't think it unreasonable for a new hanger to expect biners after seeing various videos. In my gear buying excitement I've missed the odd bit of info too.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Remember everyone, the OP is entitled to his/her opinion and remember what it's like to be new to all the info available here. I don't think it unreasonable for a new hanger to expect biners after seeing various videos. In my gear buying excitement I've missed the odd bit of info too.
    +1 on this.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I was anticipating biners as well after watching the videos. Not a big deal, went to my local outfitters picked a couple up for 6bucks a piece.

You can use the hamock without, sure. But it sucks, MUCH easier to just go get a couple biners. I tried savin' the weight of the biners once I saw it didn't come with the, but it wasn't worth the hassle everytime you setup and take down.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I tried savin' the weight of the biners once I saw it didn't come with the, but it wasn't worth the hassle everytime you setup and take down.
    As a result of my misunderstanding, I thought I might have accidentally stumbled upon a more efficient means of setup - using a stick as a toggle through a fold in the webbing ... But I bet you're right and I'll revert to some kind of biner/hook/clip for pure ease of use.

I think the luster on Brandon's otherwise shining reputation would benefit by a line of text in the setup videos indicating that the carabiners are optional accessories. I decided to go with the adjustable webbing suspension based solely on the videos - and so never saw a need to seek out additional information. It appears that others have done the same. Seems like a subtle, obviously unintentional snafu in the selection/ordering process that could be addressed rather easily.

BTW, Brandon did respond to me personally and indicated that he would, indeed, consider addressing the issue in a revamp of the web site which is in the works. Bravo!

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on noobs! (Since I are one)
    You could go to your local sport shop that cuts arrows and get some graphite or aluminum toggles free.

If you don't have a local shop, just pm me, and I'll send you a free handful - they just throw them away!

(just to be clear - I have access to tons of toggles made out of arrow shaft from my local sport shop - I'm not giving away free biners!)
    Last edited by cv66seabear; 05-01-2013 at 20:38.
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Carabiners included with adjustable webbing suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    +1 on titanium dutch clips.
    Ive been using the original dutch clips for a while now, but when i ordered my RR about a week ago i decided it was time for an upgrade..
    Wouldn't you know it, my new titanium dutch clips came first! Now i get to stare at them until the mail man comes with the real prize...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iStCrow View Post
    Ive been using the original dutch clips for a while now, but when i ordered my RR about a week ago i decided it was time for an upgrade..
    Wouldn't you know it, my new titanium dutch clips came first! Now i get to stare at them until the mail man comes with the real prize...
    Nice. Titanium dutch clips on a RidgeRunner are two great things combined!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Started out with threading the strap through the fixed loop.

Moved on to using biners, nice to have them for speed of setup and as a drip stop.

On current setup purchased from an HF member, to my surprise, a set of Ti Dutch clips were included and ....howsweet it is.

Support the cottage vendors & buy a pair, you won't regret it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123