Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    Many folks use rope between the hammock and the cinch buckle and you need a prussic here. Straps are on the tree side of the buckle.

Now I知 really confused. I thought a prussic knot was nothing more than a circle of rope that is looped (3 times) around a larger diameter rope, and can be slid along its length, both ways, but will grab when pulled under pressure.

I use this loop on a stationary vertical rope that is along a tree trunk while climbing and descending from tree stands for archery season. A biner through the prussic loop allows us to have our safety harness follow us up and down, yet will hold if we fall.

I知 not seeing a prussic knot in the pictured set up. Is there a difference between a prussic knot and a prussic loop?

Help me, help me, I知 loosing my mind!

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Now I知 really confused. I thought a prussic knot was nothing more than a circle of rope that is looped (3 times) around a larger diameter rope, and can be slid along its length, both ways, but will grab when pulled under pressure.

I use this loop on a stationary vertical rope that is along a tree trunk while climbing and descending from tree stands for archery season. A biner through the prussic loop allows us to have our safety harness follow us up and down, yet will hold if we fall.

I知 not seeing a prussic knot in the pictured set up. Is there a difference between a prussic knot and a prussic loop?

Help me, help me, I知 loosing my mind!

The cinch buckle is playing the role of the "stationary vertical rope" here. Note the several loops around one stem of the buckle. That's the prussik knot.

I don't see in the picture whether the two ends coming off of the prussik knot join in a loop or not. I don't use this arrangement. What someone could do, I think, is form a largish bowline loop at the end of a cord, attach that loop to the cinch buckle as shown with a prussik, and so (if done carefully) have both strands of cord to the knot be carrying load. It may just be though that folks don't form that first loop, leave a "long" end and a "short" end coming off the prussik, and have the load be carried only along the long end.

Grizz

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I don't see in the picture whether the two ends coming off of the prussik knot join in a loop or not.
    The two ends are passed through the channel in the hammock and then tied with a bowline. A very simple and effective setup. The rope is doubled up like this to better distribute the stresses on the hammock channel so there is no tearing.

This is definitely a prussik on the buckle.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Actually, I see where you might be a bit confused as it's doesn't quite follow the traditional prusik where climbing is concerned. I see that climbers use a triple loop on their prusiks. However, as you can see, there isn't room on the buckle for a triple loop.

Prusik used for climbing:
    The Prusik Knot or Triple Sliding Hitch

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Yes, the lack of the extra loop threw me. Also, I'm used to seeing it attached to another rope. Just because it's not, doesn't mean it isn't a pursik.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12