Tarp
    zpacks pocket tarp
    Insulation
    ugq tq-wm ultralit
    Suspension
    ground
    Images

Gorge to signal Point

Excuse me for leaving off the 94 on your name ftroop94 . I'm terrible with names Hey bearpaw on wednesday i hiked/climbed from suck creek road to signal point via middle creek and the bottom of rainbow falls. All tracks put it at 1000 +/- in just over 2 miles .. am i wrong that you think it would take 4 trips to equal saturdays climb , if so im out. My knees would be crying. I haven't hiked at Savage gulf before. I would like to recon beforehand. Any input? I have been hiking with the hiking clubs here in town and I'm guessing from the topo maps that its like the hike in and out of imodium falls from heiss trailhead CTC only shorter ???

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    Excuse me for leaving off the 94 on your name ftroop94 . I'm terrible with names Hey bearpaw on wednesday i hiked/climbed from suck creek road to signal point via middle creek and the bottom of rainbow falls. All tracks put it at 1000 +/- in just over 2 miles .. am i wrong that you think it would take 4 trips to equal saturdays climb , if so im out. My knees would be crying. I haven't hiked at Savage gulf before. I would like to recon beforehand. Any input? I have been hiking with the hiking clubs here in town and I'm guessing from the topo maps that its like the hike in and out of imodium falls from heiss trailhead CTC only shorter ???
    ftroop is just fine chuck! I'm a proud member of the Class of '94 from Virginia's Marching Idiots and a member of the notorious Foxtrot Company. That's where my screen name comes from. Forrest Tucker, Larry Storch and crew had wrapped up their fine show five years in advance of me being (as the old man would say); "a glint in my momma's eye"...

However, Roche prefers to refer to me as Spooner...

I don't have a Topo in front of me, but a quick look at the Friends of the South Cumberland map that is online shows an elevation change of around 800 ft. I personally don't find this any more strenuous than the gorge on the Fiery Gizzard where I met you, however, its been awhile since I've hiked the portion of the trail we will be covering. Maybe bearpaw will chime in. We'd love to have you come. Sqwerl appears to be hiking into Hobbs and out that Saturday. There is a potential you could hike together and never go into the gorge, simply backtrack up the rim trail. Just a suggestion.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I agree, it looks from the paper topo of South Cumberland that the elevation lines run down to around 1000-1100 down in the gulf and back up to about 1800-1900 on the rim; so approximately 800 feet of descent and then a roughly equal amount of ascent on Saturday's hike. My plan at the moment is to hike to Hobbs on Friday and then down into the gulf, back up the Old Stagecoach Trail and out the rim on Saturday--looks like a couple miles down, a couple miles back up, and then gentle woods back to the trailhead.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Just hanging out this afternoon splicing a fixed brimmel to a Dutch Stinger looking forward to March...

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ....was thinking about March. March 7th era. and realized that is still WINTER where I live and that Savage really is not that far away. Just saying.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    No, I was talking about the last half mile up to Signal Point. You cross Middle Creek and the suspension bridge and have a pretty gradual ascent at first, then you get more serious with that last half mile of climbing.

The climb up Stagecoach Road Trail at Savage Gulf sends you up just shy of 1000 feet over 1.8 miles. Reasonable grade overall, but rocky.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    However, Roche prefers to refer to me as Spooner...
    Why did you ever tell that story ftroop? I still have nightmares about it.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    I agree, it looks from the paper topo of South Cumberland that the elevation lines run down to around 1000-1100 down in the gulf and back up to about 1800-1900 on the rim; so approximately 800 feet of descent and then a roughly equal amount of ascent on Saturday's hike. My plan at the moment is to hike to Hobbs on Friday and then down into the gulf, back up the Old Stagecoach Trail and out the rim on Saturday--looks like a couple miles down, a couple miles back up, and then gentle woods back to the trailhead.
    It's definitely doable in a day. The first time I walked this loop, I did it backwards of the way we're planning and did your second day on day one. A bit shy of 12 miles. You'll take a lot less time on the 6+ miles on the rim Han down in the gorge.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    ...a month and a half!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

How much you all want to bet we're carrying winter loads----well except for Spamburgler, he took on the Smokies in winter with what appeard to be a summer loaded Ohm
    This like the BSF hang will set another record, largest number of hangers covering miles over several days.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast