Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I've thought about making a slightly more complicated sack, too - it would have two chambers with a partition in between. The hammock (and whatever) would go in one, and the extra strap/buckle/rings would go in the other. It'd have drawstrings on both ends too.

Thoughts?
    Funny - I was just thinking about that as I wrote the other post! Might be more hassle than it's worth to stuff the strap into the chamber than to wrap it around. Probably worth a prototype, though...couldn't be tough to make.

PS - Sounds like you're finding lots of uses for 'biners for someone who doesn't hike with them...
    Yeah...like I said, I'm adding little conveniences back into my pack now. There are very few things that I take on every trip, though. The No Sniveler and my backpack are about the only things that have gone on every trip since I've had them. So I might carry biners for a while...we'll see how long they stay in my pack.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I am planning on taking the strap out from the hammock, around the tree, and back towards the hammock. Then through the rings. I haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work and be pretty easy.

Any thoughts?
    It would work. That's how the Crazy Creek hammocks are designed.

I don't see a reason to have two layers of webbing running from the hammock to the tree, though...it's extra weight and bulk. I think it would work best if you pulled the hammock tight, like if you used a structural ridgeline. Otherwise, the hammock might slide down the tree when it's not weighted. Not that it's a serious thing...just might be an inconvenience sometimes.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Any idea on a good way to sew in the partition? I'd want it to be sil to protect the hammock if the straps were wet. That way I could leave the one strap in the extra compartment, plus detach the other strap and put it in there too.

I've been having some general issues with stuff sack bottoms. What's a good design for one? The bottom of the JRB compression sack looks pretty easy to sew, but it's got a lot of extra material too. The bottom of the KAQ stuff sack you gave me with your quilt looks really nice and CRAZY sturdy, but also pretty hard to sew. I'm looking for in between I guess
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    It would work. That's how the Crazy Creek hammocks are designed.

I don't see a reason to have two layers of webbing running from the hammock to the tree, though...it's extra weight and bulk. I think it would work best if you pulled the hammock tight, like if you used a structural ridgeline. Otherwise, the hammock might slide down the tree when it's not weighted. Not that it's a serious thing...just might be an inconvenience sometimes.

Good point about the weight. I guess I'm not to the point yet were the 3 oz makes a difference. I am if I take all of the 1 or 3 oz. But that is a different story.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Maybe I'll get tired of the extra 2 oz for the biners and do it your way, though - that's how I used the Crazy Creek setup.
    Everytime I leave the biners at home because my pack is starting to feel "fat" I miss them. I do like the idea of everything together. Is the Speer webbing the best choice for weight/strength?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Any idea on a good way to sew in the partition? I'd want it to be sil to protect the hammock if the straps were wet. That way I could leave the one strap in the extra compartment, plus detach the other strap and put it in there too.

I've been having some general issues with stuff sack bottoms. What's a good design for one? The bottom of the JRB compression sack looks pretty easy to sew, but it's got a lot of extra material too. The bottom of the KAQ stuff sack you gave me with your quilt looks really nice and CRAZY sturdy, but also pretty hard to sew. I'm looking for in between I guess
    maybe if you thought about it as sewing the extra compartment/ pocket to one side of the sack before you sew the main sack together to from the sack.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Good point about the weight. I guess I'm not to the point yet were the 3 oz makes a difference. I am if I take all of the 1 or 3 oz. But that is a different story.
    just wait until you start your thru<g>

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    maybe if you thought about it as sewing the extra compartment/ pocket to one side of the sack before you sew the main sack together to from the sack.
    I think you lost me on that one, man...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For my stuff sacks, I use the Jardine method...sew it like a square, then flatten out the corners and sew a seam perpendicular to the bottom seam, then trim. Pretty easy. That's pretty much how JRB does it, only they sew the corners on the outside and sew the corners together.

To make the partition. I'm thinking of a partition where the two chambers are end-to-end rather than side-by-side. Start with flat rectangle. Fold one end down about 8" and sew a 1/2" channel, then open the end back up. You'll end up with a big flat rectangle with a channel about 7" down from one end. Then finish the stuff sack as normal and the channel will form the partition when tightened.

Thought of an easy way to make a stuff sack bottom. Sew the material into a tube and turn it inside out. Put a rubber band around the end. Then sew a few seams across the bottom where it's all puckered up and trim off the excess. Wonder how that would work.

Hey! This thread is about buckle supports!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think you lost me on that one, man...
    i'm assuming that the extra compartment will be smaller so if the material for the main bag is laying flat on the table, lay the smaller fabric piece that will be the "side pocket" over one half of the main bag fabric.
    the smaller "side pocket" will already have all it's edges hemmed. you would line up it's top w/ the main bags top, then sew the two sides & bottom of the side pocket to what will be one side of the main bag.
    then sew the main bag together.
    this may not be what you had in mind, but it's a though any way<g>.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast