See Wah Wah

http://picasaweb.google.com/beewookie

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I ran into Ray Estrella last weekend - he mentioned that Backpack Gear Test had been provided three BB's. He looked at but didn't try my hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for posting a link to your review...
    I can see how a glossary would be helpful...

One question? If I understood your picture, you run the suspension strap around the tree (or post) and clip it back into the tri-rings?
    If so, that is a new idea to me (no bad, just new)...typically, the biner/strap go around the tree and the biner hooks around the strap at the tree.
    Example

I would caution your use Vs. the rating on the biner. The forces put on the suspension of the hammock are not your weight, but MULTIPLES of your weight. The general rule of thumb here (and maybe overkill) is 1200lb capacity on anything that supports your hammock. A biner used like the above pic is not supporting your hammock. A biner used like your pic on the review is supporting the hammock. Read more here
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    How do you know Wah Wah wrote the review? I thought the reviewer is in Florida - Wah Wah is in Walla Walla...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    How do you know Wah Wah wrote the review? I thought the reviewer is in Florida - Wah Wah is in Walla Walla...
    Your absolutely correct...my fault for assuming
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I found the review interesting to read, seeing how someone who is brand-spanking new to hammock makes sense out of what she gets from the manufacturer. This ought to help him think about what information and instructions he includes in the package.

Her mis-understanding of the intended use for rings and carbiner is just one instance. A picture here would have helped the reviewer a lot. She had some issues with loosening and tightening. Small wonder!

She didn't know from the WBG site what 1.1 or 1.7 meant.

She also thought that the outer shell of the two body hammock might be silnylon. I doubt it.

Glad she likes the hammock though and that this product got some air time on that site.

Grizz

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I found the review interesting to read, seeing how someone who is brand-spanking new to hammock makes sense out of what she gets from the manufacturer. This ought to help him think about what information and instructions he includes in the package.

Grizz
    I found that very interesting too. In researching the purchase of my Clark I spent a lot of time getting to know the quirks of hammocks and I remember thinking it was a little overwhelming. Tents were not difficult to understand functionally but hammocks had angles, knots, rings, biners, buckles, drip lines, ridgelines, and sag. My learning curve was steep and still not totally done.

It's easy to forget how much you need to explain to people who are not nearly as familiar. Suspension is one area that is often glossed over quickly but when you are new it's the most confusing aspect of it or it was for me. It's also one area where clear, detailed, pictures and diagrams are worth a 1000 words.... literally.

Sounds like a favorable impression though and that's worth a lot. WBG got some great feedback in that article I think.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    This suspension thing is why I really like Speer's 4 wrap knot (with Risk's slight modification) - simple and easy to understand and explain.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Interesting is a word that seems to fit well, but entertaining is another.

I found myself reminiscing about my initial hammock experiences...and I was already lurking on HF at the time, plus had the tutelage of Hammock Engineer (now Coffee) on my side. It really is a confusing time for a lot of people trying to get over their ground training. I remember quite clearly trying to make sense out of rings and webbing over the course of the mighty ringbuckle thread.

But, she managed to get it hung and comfortable. I hope she finds her way here to HF; imagine how much happier she will be with it when she figures out the details. Ya know, like clipping the biner to the webbing instead of the rings.

I'm glad Brandon got such an overall positive review and I'm glad the reviewer has accepted hammocks as backpacking items rather than solely a 'camping' luxury. One more with her Warbonnet ON!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Her mis-understanding of the intended use for rings and carbiner is just one instance. A picture here would have helped the reviewer a lot. She had some issues with loosening and tightening. Small wonder!

She didn't know from the WBG site what 1.1 or 1.7 meant.

She also thought that the outer shell of the two body hammock might be silnylon. I doubt it.

Glad she likes the hammock though and that this product got some air time on that site.

Grizz
    She also states that the hammock is asymmetrical and if you ask Brandon is it not asymmetrical.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast