Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Even if it won't zip up, a few adjustable shock cords should help close it up. Or you could complete the murder (Murder One? I heard this on TV), and add a gusset.

Now, Red, about that billboard...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    A few more pix after getting it rigged and some adjustments etc. Please disregard background clutter..... its a basement
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB, Trek Light Dbl
    Tarp
    Black WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    I have many different bags of the rectangular walmart variety. So I'm looking to do the same thing you did here with one of my sleeping bags. I am wondering what degree sleeping bag I need to use in order to stay warm enough. I use a thermarest prolite sleeping pad in my hammock. I'm guessing that a 30 degree bag will be just fine down to about 10 degrees.

What would you all suggest?

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Redoleary, Nice Job! I like the drawstring channel you did in the foot box. I just cut a hole and sewed several circles around to keep it from expanding. I did this also in the head so I could cinch it up around my face. And to keep the gathered end of the hammock from expanding the hole I tied a string just inside the sleeping bag ends on the hammock. But I think your drawstring and grosgrain does the same just at a much nicer look. I'm not one to sew.
    And your way allows the sleeping bag to be used normally whereas mine I will have to stuff clothing or stuff bags to block the holes.

There's another cottage industry out there for those who convert sleeping bags.
    Last edited by Crash; 12-20-2010 at 21:09.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    I have many different bags of the rectangular walmart variety. So I'm looking to do the same thing you did here with one of my sleeping bags. I am wondering what degree sleeping bag I need to use in order to stay warm enough. I use a thermarest prolite sleeping pad in my hammock. I'm guessing that a 30 degree bag will be just fine down to about 10 degrees.

I don't think a 30 degree bag wrapped around a hammock gets you to 10 degrees, though.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post

I think that what ever the bag is rated at is prolly as low as you can go and the pad might get you a few more degrees, but there are too many variables to really guesstimate. Testing is really all you can do. You def get a better lay w/o a pad so ideally the uq would replace the pad. But cold camping brings new challenges so a pad may be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Redoleary, Nice Job! I like the drawstring channel you did in the foot box. I just cut a hole and sewed several circles around to keep it from expanding. I did this also in the head so I could cinch it up around my face. And to keep the gathered end of the hammock from expanding the hole I tied a string just inside the sleeping bag ends on the hammock. But I think your drawstring and grosgrain does the same just at a much nicer look. I'm not one to sew.
    And your way allows the sleeping bag to be used normally whereas mine I will have to stuff clothing or stuff bags to block the holes.

There's another cottage industry out there for those who convert sleeping bags.
    Thanks Crash. The drawstring is still a little stiff but in time it may loosen up and make a better seal on the end. I made a plug for the end out of the leftovers from the mod just for that purpose, but useing clothes while on the trail is an even better idea.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB, Trek Light Dbl
    Tarp
    Black WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Well... Here is what I ended up doing.

I first started off by choosing a standard Coleman sleeping bag that had a 40 degree rating(I'm a very warm bodied person). It measures 66 X 81 when opened up.

I started by first removing the zipper.

Next I cut along the head and foot ends of the sleeping bag. Then, I removed about 10 inches of insulation from each end of the bag. The bag had a sew line I followed on both sides. I did this so I could insert shockcord and draw up each end to keep out drafts.

After I removed the insulation, I resewed along the inner stitch line, the one 10 inches in. I also sewed back over each end of the bag closing it up again.

I then added grosgrain much as you did and added the shockcord for a draw string. I need to figure out some way to keep the quilt up in the middle.

Sorry I don't have a camera to post any pictures. I am testing it out on the 26th to see if it's warm enough.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Just sew on a few small loops/tabs in the middle and put a piece of bungee over the RL, that should hold up the middle.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12