Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

Permethrin and underwear?

The treatment of your underwear is addressed in the instruction because the treatment is this case is to prevent insect bites. As most of us wear our skivvies under other clothing there is no need to treat them. It would be a waste of product.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Is this the same stuff ? If so then CDC is saying it is ok to use on parts on body under certain conditions.
    They're talking about head lice, and applying permethrin to the scalp, not treating your underwear. Different body part entirely (at least on my anatomy).

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Is this the same stuff ? If so then CDC is saying it is ok to use on parts on body under certain conditions.
    Right! They are also talking about only two uses over 9-days (presumably followed by shampooing regularly. Through-hiking would be everyday.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I treat everything and have for years.
    That doesn't mean something bad isn't coming my way, but no problems to date.

I treat everything mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to sort. I don't really understand what the possible issues may be, but I suppose it can't hurt to not treat something like underwear. I'll continue to treat my socks though. I've seen far too many critters trying to make their way up my socks to not treat them.

I learned something new in this thread. Nice!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    They're talking about head lice, and applying permethrin to the scalp, not treating your underwear. Different body part entirely (at least on my anatomy).
    but still talking about using directly on the body even if an area not as sensitive as other parts.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    taken from treatment manual
    • To avoid adverse health reactions, do not treat underwear or
    caps/hats. Do not allow permethrin to contact your face or
    eyes and try not to breathe in spray vapors. Wear rubber
    gloves when handling wet, treated uniforms and when
    mixing permethrin solutions. Permethrin can be very toxic to
    fish and aquatic organisms; do not let excess permethrin
    contaminate local water sources.

http://deploymenthealthlibrary.fhp.o...ile?prodId=242
    I'm done for. I have treated my hats for several years. Zero problems so far. But I guess I should not be surprised if my ears suddenly fall off.

But, there is a prescription treatment for head lice/scabies that is FIVE %:
    http://www.rxlist.com/elimite-drug/i...ons-dosage.htm
    Thoroughly massage ELIMITE® (permethrin) 5% Cream into the skin from the head to the soles of the feet. Scabies rarely infests the scalp of adults, although the hairline, neck, temple, and forehead may be infested in infants and geriatric patients. Usually 30 grams is sufficient for an average adult. The cream should be removed by washing (shower or bath) after 8 to 14 hours. Infants should be treated on the scalp, temple, and forehead. ONE APPLICATION IS GENERALLY CURATIVE........ Demonstrable living mites after 14 days indicate that retreatment is necessary.
    So, I spray my clothing including hats with 0.5% and let it dry, whereupon it is supposed to take 6 washings to remove it all from the clothing. Which makes me think it will not easily leave my clothing to be absorbed through my skin, though it might to some degree. Then I occasionally wear that clothing while I am hiking or maybe camping.

As opposed to this medical treatment, where 10X the concentration is left- wet(cream) - in direct contact with the skin, given 14 hours to soak in after being massaged in. Repeat if needed after 14 days. And comes in a pediatric and adult dosage, but both are FIVE %.

While the usual list of possible side effects are listed as they are for any prescription drug, this dosage surely goes way past anything we could ever encounter from dry Permethrin which at least with Sawyers is supposed to be "bonded" with our clothing and resistant to removal. And apparently the 5% "massaged in to the skin" cream is considered safe enough to be used for treatment of lice, even for infants/children.

So maybe I will live through the Permethrin I have sprayed on my hats, and even a long john top for one trip, plus all other clothing and sometimes the outside of my hammock. And hopefully whatever risk is less risk than a mossy or tick bite. But I guess you don't ever really know for sure, until sooner or later you die of something. And even then folks may still not know what got you.

Still, hooray for Permethrin and Picaridin ( and even DEET if I can't find 15-20% Picaridin). I hope they don't ever find any risk for them that is not less danger than insect bites.

( PS/Edit: I see this idea was already covered in the post about Nix/1% Permethrin. But in this case it is FIVE %)

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I treat my socks, pants and shirt, but there is no way I'm treating my underwear with permethrin. There's some sensitive skin in those areas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    You sensitive, if thats not an oxymoron I don't know what is.
    He's just worried that he'll have a bad dream about Reese leaving him....
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm definitely not saying we should not treat clothing with a chemical that will make our lives a little better but before I would take a chance letting something absorb into my skin and not know about it, I would just leave it alone. Case in point...we went camping a couple of years ago. A friend of mine picked up some kind of plastic bracelets that were to be worn which would wort off mosquitos, ticks, and other stuff. Well I guess he figured if 1 was good 5 would be awesome. He had one around each wrist, ankle, and put a couple together and put it around his neck. After sitting around camp for the evening he began to get nausiated and puked everything he had eaten for the last few days. No telling if he'll have long term effects. I think I'll stick to the outer wear and or hammock suspension treatment only.
    Heck 40 some odd years ago I never heard of anything to use for ticks. Just pulled off the ticks when I got home.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Well what ever you do be sure you use some form of protection. I pulled 15 ticks off my mutt and I after our hike last weekend. And that is with all my clothes treated and the dog using Frontline.

--louis

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If I always hiked in weather cool enough to wear pants (for me, 50* and below), I'd agree here. But...most times I'm in a kilt. You really don't want a tick crawling up your leg with that...
    Yup, never considered a kilt. Maybe you should try some permethrin treated garters

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast