Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Sleeping bag question

I’m new to all this. Sounds like when using a sleeping bag in a hammock, where ever is pressed against the bottom and compresses the bags ‘loft’, you’ll have a cold spot .

My question is: Does this happen regardless of the rating of the bag?
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Images
    The same is true for tents, that's why you have to use a Therm a Rest or simular pad under you for insulation. And it doesn't matter what it's rated for. Big Agnes sleeping bags just leave the fill out of the bottoms because they figure it's just added weight anyhow.

You can use a pad under you in a hammock but it's hard to get on or stay on and it doesn't breath so you'll get wet spots. I've tried lots of stuff over time, best bet in my opinion is a guilt system. An under quilt for a hammock rides on the outside so your weight isn't compressing it so it maintains it's full loft. Actually over night it gets thicker due to that gravity thing. And you can adjust it for different temps. My favorite thing about a quilt system in getting in the hammock (I have a Hennessy). You just climb in, in your sleeping clothes, and pull the quilt over you as you need it. No fighting to get in the bag, it's sweet. And I imagine the bigger you are the harder that is.
    Last edited by btourer; 05-20-2007 at 13:55.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Images
    My Tom Claytor has a sleeve in it for a thermarest. It seems to stay put well. But I haven't had the chance to try an underquilt yet. For what it's worth, at 288# I suppose I quallify as a "Big Guy" too. Welcome to the hangin' life! Peace, Ritz.
    Why didn't someone tell me sooner? I don't HAVE to sleep on the ground!

Images

cold spots

6 feet over,

Yes, pretty much any bag will compress. That is why people use pads &/or underquilts.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    The same is true for tents, that's why you have to use a Therm a Rest or simular pad under you for insulation. And it doesn't matter what it's rated for. Big Agnes sleeping bags just leave the fill out of the bottoms because they figure it's just added weight anyhow.

You can use a pad under you in a hammock but it's hard to get on or stay on and it doesn't breath so you'll get wet spots. I've tried lots of stuff over time, best bet in my oppinion is a guilt system. An under quilt for a hammock rides on the outside so your weight isn't compressing it so it maintains it's full loft. Actually over night it gets thicker due to that gravity thing. And you can adjust it for different temps. My favorite thing about a quilt system in getting in the hammock (I have a Hennessy). You just climb in, in your sleeping clothes, and pull the quilt over you as you need it. No fighting to get in the bag, it's sweet. And I imagine the bigger you are the harder that is.
    Pads are easy to use and from what I've read most people dont have condesation issues. I never have.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I was wondering how long it would take some pad lover to jump me for that one. Hence the reason I added "in my opinion"

Images
    I've never seen any that you could put under it. All the pads examples I've seen were made for laying on. With the exception of the Hennessy SS system. But that pad is just a foam insulator that's stuck between two layers of nylon.
    Last edited by btourer; 05-20-2007 at 15:48.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ritzhenson View Post
    My Tom Claytor has a sleeve in it for a thermarest. It seems to stay put well. But I haven't had the chance to try an underquilt yet. For what it's worth, at 288# I suppose I quallify as a "Big Guy" too. Welcome to the hangin' life! Peace, Ritz.
    cool ,i am a hardcore claytor hammock hanger,i love my claytor jungle hammock,i use it with a camo sportsmans guide camo tarp,my pad never slips,i cant even tell its there,i love it. neo

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I’m new to all this. Sounds like when using a sleeping bag in a hammock, where ever is pressed against the bottom and compresses the bags ‘loft’, you’ll have a cold spot .

My question is: Does this happen regardless of the rating of the bag?
    tom claytor jungle hammock is almost 10 foot long
    i use a full length military thermarest between the 2 layers
    its all i will ever need neo

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    If you have a Hennessy SuperSystem you can put another, or different, pad between the hammock and the undercover successfully. The undercover will hold it in place and if you put it on top of the SS pad the SS pad will grip the other pad and keep it from sliding around.

Also, the sleeping bag you have will work well as a top quilt, and especially if it has a full length zipper. Just lay in the hammock, put your feet in the bottom of the bag and pull the bag over you and tuck the sides around your shoulders. I use mine that way and you actually get more insulation on top of you since all your bag is on top.

Welcome to the hangin' gang. There's a fair learning curve but you can pick most of it up by reading this site. The rest is trial and error and testing, testing and more testing. The back yard make a great test ground because you can bail out and go inside if something is not working.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast