Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images

Olefin?

Did the burn test on some $1 fabric from Wally's World. According to Ditzy Prints' Fiber Burn Chart I suspect Olefin. Smells like asphalt, tan bead (actually more brown than black). A search for "olefin" in the forum hit on a posting saying that olefin=polypropelene, but nothing about if its good or bad.

Made a quick hammock out of it anyway.

Felt good on a short nap, didn't drop me to the ground. Haven't weighed it, but its close to 1.9 oz ripstop nylon. It has a real soft feel to it, not slick like nylon, has a ripstop pattern in it, and the edges fray a little. Did the blow test, and its breatheable.

Is this any good for a multiday trip? I would hate to find out on night 2 of 7 that it stretches too much, or is too weak for my weight, or has some other character flaw that I can't see on a quick test.

What about it folks? Anybody know any pros and cons about olefin for hammocks?

Thanks

ps - what is the odor of "sweet chemicals"? My wife likes perfume, but, burning perfume??? What I have ain't that! It could be "modacrylic". Only a chemist will know for sure.

Images
    that's what tyvek is made out of

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    It's made from polyethylene.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Funny you should say that. I haven't been keeping up with this forum as much lately because... I have spent the last 3+ weeks making a backpack using the G4 pattern out of .... tyvek! 8 ounces! 2nd week of April I'll let you know how well it held up. Planning a 7 night AT hike. Or, at least, it will be 7 if the pack don't break

And... right now... Olefin hammock is leading the ripstop nylon. Heading out to the rack now to read a book in it...

it stretches less then nylon but more then polyester

Images
    are you sure it's not made of spunbonded oelfin? i was almost certain it was.

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    It's made from polyethylene.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    are you sure it's not made of spunbonded olefin? i was almost certain it was.
    from a google search: Spunbonded olefin, known as Tyvek...polyethylene... (search also turned up a patent for a "disposable" sleeping bag... hmmm)

No the hammock fabric is not "tyvek". The backpack is tyvek, and my first tarp was tyvek, but this is COMPLETELY different. This fabric looks like ripstop nylon, ie, small squares, very pliable, frazzle threads on the cut edge, lightweight, and its definitely some form of a manmade material. And, BTW, its navy blue. I remember seeing in the tyvek article something about 2 kinds. I'll have to reread that to see if this could be the 2nd kind.

I burned several samples of "known" materials to try to compare the smells. Ed Speer's silnylon definitely smells different from this. ditto Ed's polypro webbing. ditto some Hancock's ripstop nylon ($5.95 per yard - ouch - watching that burn hurt!).

While typing this called up another window on Target Stores "olefin": Patio cushions, pillows, chairs, umbrellas, rugs, day beds...

I could be on a wrong track, maybe its not olefin, but what else could it be?

Maybe I should just quote a famous person: "... not to worry..." and "... if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." So far, so good, report in April...

Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece
    Got a Tyvek envelope or CD sleeve laying around? Burn a piece of it and compare. (I've been wanting to ID some more of my $1 fabric, thanks VERY MUCH for the Ditzy Prints link!!!)

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    are you sure it's not made of spunbonded oelfin? i was almost certain it was.
    Pretty sure it's polyethylene.

Oelfin may just be a fancy name for polythylene.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/tri-rings
    Images
    According to wikipedia, ethylene is an olefin, in the organic chemistry sense of the word. So it would make sense that polyethylene = olefin.

• + New Posts