HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Before you hack away on your hammock please make sure this will solve the problem. I'm not sure cutting off the edge will help as much as you are hoping. I think you may have to cut off the ends & change the way the material is gathered to remove the extra sag from the body. I'm writing this knowing what I am saying is as clear as mud but cannot think of the right way to say it.
    What's in my head originated from this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=convex
    I think some of the SB Pro's may have a little too much of a convex cut making the sides too high.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

I'm a firm believer in measure 8 times cut once rule, so no worries about hacking through the hammock. Something does need altered to adjust this and it just needs a carefully thought out plan of attack.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Great report, I like to get out with my 10 year old daughter and we both are hammock sleepers.
    But I find her "noise" just does not stop

Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Etowah 10 x 12
    Insulation
    Wally Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice report, sounds like you had a good time except for the drips. I help out with my son's scout troop(mainly 12,13 & 14 year olds) and no "fart jokes" don't ever seem to become unpopular.

I was wondering on the Campmor 10 x 10 is the seam on the diagonal or across the square? I have a Kelty Noah 12(w/diagonal seam) and have tried it both diagonal & square with success. I like having the option to set it up either way. I have to outfit my wife and son with tarps now, and just looking for a relatively cheaper way to do it.

Thanks
    Baerman

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Yeah, cutting up the hammock is my last resort. You may be right that the real issue is too much bagginess in the bed of the hammock. Your caboose ends up so low in the bed that the leg contacts the side. Taking slack out of the bed, relieves pressure on the side. I'd feel more confident cutting into the side seam rather than the load bearing seams on each end though

These hammocks use a larks head type of strap running through a pocket to bunch the ends of the hammock. Maybe running an aluminum rod through the pocket to pull the center up a bit could make a difference. If it could lift 1" on each end (that may be optimistic)?

The tarps have the seem running on the square. The $30 white tarp from Sportmansguide with 17 tie outs is probably as good a deal as these but they seem to be out of stock frequently. Since Campmor doesn't carry this same tarp in a larger size I will be looking more heavily at the mosquito hammock tarps when the time comes.
    Last edited by cavscout; 07-02-2008 at 12:24.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's a good and simple method of attaching the cinch buckle to the hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=6156

It's not my pic but it's how I do it. The strap with he biner is atached to the tree as I described before and then woven through th cinch buckle. You can leave the strap attached to the buckle permanently. If you need more length for a longer hang you simply let out more strap wrap the biner end around the tree, snap it on the strap and you are finished. No knots...no nothing....clean, simple and secure.

Miguel

PS Here's another method of attachment.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=6158

Here's the other end of the strap which wraps around the tree. That's a bowline knot. You could also sew a loop which is neater looking.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&searchid=6158
    Last edited by Miguel; 07-02-2008 at 15:30.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Took some pics while seeing how the hammock system would fit onto my rack. Didn't put a lot of time into setting it up (I tightened the ridge line after tightening the hiking sticks so there is a dip in the ridge that should not be there ). I was mostly curious how much cover the tarp would give if hung on the diamond. I'm pretty pleased with the 10x10 Campmor tarp. For a while we had all the family under there taking turns lying in the hammock.

and the other side

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    I don't know if this will work -- I have a SB Pro and haven't tried it for hanging all night yet. I thought of folding it in half to use as a seat in camp. (So both the extensions are behind your back and your sitting on the middle folded). Of, course, the buggy net strings might be in the way and may have to take them down this way. I saw a reference to doing this on some other site (Speer's ???). Anybody know if this is OK or will it stress the hammock in some way?

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post
    I thought of folding it in half to use as a seat in camp. (So both the extensions are behind your back and your sitting on the middle folded). Of, course, the buggy net strings might be in the way and may have to take them down this way.
    I've got my bug net cords hooked up so I can easily unhook them from one side - then I can simply flip the hammock over and sit on it with no net in the way.

Jim

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    You might be onto something. I'd probably fold it so the netting is on the inside of the fold. To me it seems like that would cause less wear and tear on the more delicate netting. I think the bed material will handle just about anything.

With a little modification I think you could work it so you could roll the bug net up and using velcro cable ties anchor it to the bug line to get the bug net out of the way totally and still fold the bed in half to sit in. As you can see in the pics, when not using the bug net I just turned it upside down and lay directly on the underside of the bed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12