Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

HH questions

I'm 5'11" 210 lbs and am looking into my first hammock for mostly summer (possibly some spring and fall) camping and backpacking. I really like the HH hammocks and am looking at the EXPLORER ULTRALITES specifically.

Is the HH website the best place to buy from? I see they are giving free snakeskins right now.

Are the HH weight limits hard and fast? I see a lot of them list a 200lb weight limit. Should I avoid those even though I am only 10lbs over?

Should I go with bottom entry or side zip? I might use a pad if the nights get cool. Is there a concern with bugs and the bottom entry?

I like the tree hugger, caribiner, rings suspension system outlined in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M
    Will I need to modify the HH at all to use this system?

Thanks for the help!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I'm 5'11" 210 lbs and am looking into my first hammock for mostly summer (possibly some spring and fall) camping and backpacking. I really like the HH hammocks and am looking at the EXPLORER ULTRALITES specifically.
    This is what I started with back in 06, and now I have 2 of them + 3 SuperShelters, and they remain just fine IMO. I can always get a comfortable sleep in my Expl UL, I am about your weight but 6'1".

Is the HH website the best place to buy from? I see they are giving free snakeskins right now.
    Probably the best place unless you can find a better price at REI or E=bay or somewhere else. HH often give away free kids hammocks also. Couple of times a year they have big sales also, but you might have to wait a while for that.

Are the HH weight limits hard and fast? I see a lot of them list a 200lb weight limit. Should I avoid those even though I am only 10lbs over?
    You mean you are 10 lbs over the smaller hammocks, but not the Explorer UL? Heck, I'd go with the Explorer. You can probably get away with the weight, but the Explorer is also roomier.

Should I go with bottom entry or side zip? I might use a pad if the nights get cool. Is there a concern with bugs and the bottom entry?
    Most people like the zip, some like the bottom entry. I'm fine with both, but it is nice to be able to reach out of your hammock. Some folks claim bugs are easier to avoid with the bottom entry, but there is a learning curve with it. Once you are used to it, it is very fast in and out. If you use a pad, you would be happier with a double layer model(pad pocket) like the DJ or DJXL. Or one of the many other DL hammocks out there like Warbonnet or Wilderness Logics.

I like the tree hugger, caribiner, rings suspension system outlined in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M
    Will I need to modify the HH at all to use this system?
    I don't think so, looks kind of heavy though. Heavier than a cinch buckle or Whoopie slings, but you would have to mod for that.

Thanks for the help!
    You are very welcome!

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    awesome, thanks for the reply.

I'll give the Deep Jungle a good look.

I've heard that a double layer bottom (without pad) keeps mosquitoes from biting you through the fabric, but they can get you through a single layer. Can anyone confirm this?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

HH Owner

I'm also a HH Explorer Ultralite owner (you sound like my twin HAHA)! I have the explorer ultralight and I've never had any problems with it. At the time I got it they were doing the free scout giveaway, and I've tried to convert at least some of my kids to the hammock way of life. I originally had the bottom entry only, but recently added the 2QZQ Mod to it for the side zip entry, but obviously given the option I think I'd take the Hennessy option if I was buying one today.
    The hennessy folks are great to work with, communicated with them on Email and Phone to make sure what I was getting was what I wanted. If you get on their mailing list they email out clearance items from time to time, and you can request a list of what they have at any time (not otherwise advertised afaik).
    For years I used only a pad (full length thermarest or big agnes) and was able to get down to the 30's relatively comfortably with just a sleeping bag and clothes. I have tried the ring suspension and like BillyBob, I agree that it's a bit heavier than you could use, though it's REALLY easy to make adjustments to it, in my testing it never slipped, and was nice to play around with it. I switched it over to whoopies this fall, though and they are just as adjustable, and much lighter than the rings. I used one of the videos on Youtube for it, don't really remember which, and I'm not that handy. If I can do it, and not have it completely come unraveled, anyone can!

Best of luck with your hammock explorations!

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'll jump in here a bit too.

I personally only have experience with the Expedition, and the Explorer Deluxe.

I'm right at the 200lb weight limit for the Expedition, and so I bought the Explorer, and I'd honestly recommend that to most folks over the Expedition if you have a choice. On top of everything else...it's just flat out roomier. I've got plenty of space to move around and adjust things as needed when I'm in mine.

My youngest has the expedition, and he doesn't normally use the tie outs on it either....for me, that would be painfully small that way. But...for him, it works.

As far as the bottom entry vs side entry...kinda depends. I started with the bottom entry, and had no real problem with it...biggest "issue" being that I couldn't reach in/out of the hammock for items or anything once I was in. I do like being able to get in/out of the hammock without touching a low hanging tarp.

But, with that said I did send off and get zippers added (with the bottom entry left available) by 2QZQ. And I love the mod...worked great when we were out a couple of weeks ago in the cold.

Personally...I'd suggest going that route over anything. OR...go to a "hang" where you might have the chance to try out both worlds before you make a purchase.

On the rings/biners setup...Weasel and I used that for a good time...it works great, and doesn't require any modifications on the stock HH ropes. It is a bit heavy, but if you're like us and not concerned with that bit of weight, it's worth it compared to the standard HH knot method.

Again...go to a hang, spend sometime seeing how folks do things, and you can learn a lot there without spending money yourself.

Editted to add:

The real advantage to buying straight from HH is the ability to customize exactly which tarp/straps/etc... you want to buy with your hammock, and get the exact package you want. Buying from one of their outlets, you won't be able to do this.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    good info, thanks! How often does HH do the free scout deal?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    They only do that around the holidays, usually once per year. You just missed it I believe. You might call them directly and discuss...the worst that would happen is that they'd tell you that you missed out on the sale.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I use the Explorer Ultralight zip model myself, and it is a wonderfully comfortable hammock. My only advice with it is--if you're not thru-hiking or doing something else where grams really count--it's worth getting the free polyurethane-coated hex tarp upgrade.

That tarp has kept me dry in some terrible conditions, and I sure wouldn't trade it for the minimalist asym tarp they sell if I was using the zip model.

As far as mosquitoes go, I haven't had a problem with the netting zipped up. However, I also treat with Permethrin, which works wonders (despite six ticks on my legs during my Ocala hike this past summer, I did not find a single one underneath any of my clothes).

Anyway, I hope it helps!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW - one nice thing about the bottom entry in bad weather you go in from the open end instead of sliding up between the tarp and hammock.

The ultralight models have a very tightly woven 70 denier fabric which is very difficult for mosquitoes to bite through. The Expdition and Explorer Deluxe (maybe the Scout) use the same fabric, which is more of a duck-type weave. Mosquitoes bite through this easily. Lying on a pad will help with that. I spray all my hammocks with permethrin anyway, to kill anything that lands or crawls on them. Ticks, mosquitoes, whatever.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast