Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Where exactly is that trail. It looks nice. I tried to look up maps and stuff but, still don't have an idea where it is. In relation to Atlanta. hehe Im in Alabamy and we only know like...ALBANY or ATLANTA.
    It is a very nice trail. I'm no big fan of Backpacker magazine but they rated it the #1 day hike in Georgia. The main reason for it's beuty is it is part of the Tallulah gorge sytem so it has some fantastic sites. Very easy find. Take 85 north out of Atlanta and get on 985 north. Go for maybe 50 minutes. Once you pass the Mt. Airy exit look for a sign that says Hollywood. A sign that says Panther Creek Trail will be on the left shortly after the Hollywood sign. Take a left across the highway at that sign and it's not far from there.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Ok so not to far from Atlanta. Sounds like fun.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I had tied the knot closer when I was testing. I was using an ENO bugnet this time and the rings were inside the net so just tied the knot outside the netting. I will be tying it close to the rings next time
    hangout... here's a picture of how i tie the slip knot.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2250065.JPG
    no slipping at all that way.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Thanks for the picture. The knot is cheap insurance. I am one of those people that always make sure the straps are lined up in the buckles and still had it slip.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have only had my buckles try and slip once, but that was because of misalignment of the webbing. I also use a slip knot. It only takes an extra second or two to tie and gives me peace of mind.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    You could certainly use that as part of a hammock support, but I'd be a little concerned that it is only adjustable by 4' (so sayeth the link). Sometimes you might need more adjustment than that, depending on the hang.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You could certainly use that as part of a hammock support, but I'd be a little concerned that it is only adjustable by 4' (so sayeth the link). Sometimes you might need more adjustment than that, depending on the hang.
    I was thinking that it may be a little short. Also I think it is nylon.
    -Churchill

well here is my first ring buckle hang report:

just got my straps from Strapworks yesterday which was sooner than expected so I took the rest of my trial setup up to the park for a hanging test -

the parts : Trek Light hammock, with S hooks replaced with SMC descender rings, 2 15 ft 1 inch wide polyester straps from Strapworks - note attachment of rings to hammock rope was with a larks head - did not have to untie the rope in the hammock - just slipped the S hook out and put the rings on working with the bight

tied the straps to the trees with a round turn and two half hitches like I used to do with the old Safari Deluxe (a strap based support system) that I started hammocking with - note second half hitch is slipped to make it easier to untie - note no 'biner or loop needed

tied the hammock to the straps by feeding a bight of the strap through the rings in the normal ring buckle fashion, adjusted the hammock (real easy with the rings) then fed the bight down through the center of the rings to keep it aligned - I don't remember where I heard about this technique for minimizing slippage - it might have been here - I vaguely remember it from some article on slack rope (strap) walking.

rested in the hammock for about an hour - no problems with slippage or with untieing the ring buckles - the lack of slippage may have been due to the sag angle I used - I wanted to get reasonably flat in the hammock on the diagonal so I hung it with considerable sag

next step is to try a ridge line and see if it still works with the bight through the ring buckles with a tighter setup
    Last edited by jlb2012; 08-18-2007 at 19:00.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Okay,

I am going motorcycle camping next week up to Maine. This got me motivated to get parts for the ring buckle supports. I had already bought a gob of strap (100 feet+) .I found some welded steel buckles at Home Depot and some carabiner type connectors.

When I got home, I weighed the carabiner things and they were heavy. I took them back this morning

The purpose of the carabiner is only to avoid having to thread the strap through the loop, right??

I now have my hammock strung up on my porch, using the four loop method that I have been using with a rope. That works fine.

I got to admit that changing sag is beyond easy.

I don't see the carabiners weight being justified from the backpacking point of view. But that's just me.

All in all, a nice upgrade.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 61 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast