Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark TX250 camo w/weathershield

HUGE newby mistake!

I made a HUGE newby mistake today. Well actually, my wife did. I went to the REI that's about 50 miles from here. HUGE mistake! I've never been in one and I probably looked like an addict in a pharmacy. I ended up with a Black Diamond Orbit led mini lantern, carabiners and a pair of descending rings(they only had 2). Then after I left there I stopped in a store called Backwoods. It was about a block and a half away. It's just like REI without the bikes. Talked to a guy there that is a hammocker and he set me up with some tubular webbing and showed me how to rig the hammock with a carabiner through the suspension tunnel and one descending ring per side. Super helpful guys. My wife has created a monster. I'm just kinda glad it's far enough away I can't stop there after work!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah it's usually a mistake for me to go into any outdoor gear store as well. The guy that hooked you up with the webbing should have known better than to sell you tubular webbing. Its nylon and it stretches too much for most hangers' liking. Get some polyester straps if you can.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    I experienced this as well this past week. Convinced my wife to head up to a used outdoor consignment shop. Ended up with a nice pair of Gators for any hiking I may get into. Also, got the bug for a new tent that won't burn me up in warmer weather. So this meant another trip to the sportsman's warehouse. Lucky for my I only ended up spending about 70 bucks or so.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I have an REI about 15 minutes from me. That place should be outlawed.

Last week I kind of reached a milestone. I went in there to return a pair of Kahtoola MICROspikes, And I left empty handed. I don't think that has ever happened. Even if it's something small I always seem to walk out with something.

The only plus side to it is the dividends I get in April are usually pretty nice. But that just continues the cycle.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have the same problem at outdoor stores like Academy, Bass Pro and the mom and pop shops we have around here, I also have this problem at hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowes....

I believe the correct term from your condition is Gear Acquisition Syndrome or GAS. It is a terrible affliction that has ruined many families. There may be still help for you yet, but you must act quickly.

First pack all your current gear into your current pack. Next send all your cash, checks, credit cards and anything else that you may use to purchase new gear to me. Then head out into the woods to live off the land, using your gear, never again to return to civilization.

Act now before it's too late and GAS destroys another family.

***Please note that Lesspayne is not a medical doctor. Lesspayne will take your money and spend it on his own GAS.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    ... tubular webbing. Its nylon and it stretches too much for most hangers' liking...
    Generally tubular webbing is nylon, but polyester tubular webbing is available. The OP should check to see which he has.

Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    ...Gear Acquisition Syndrome or GAS. It is a terrible affliction that has ruined many families...
    Gas-X is a considerably less expensive solution than sending you our credit cards.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    I made a HUGE newby mistake today. Well actually, my wife did. I went to the REI that's about 50 miles from here. HUGE mistake! I've never been in one and I probably looked like an addict in a pharmacy. I ended up with a Black Diamond Orbit led mini lantern, carabiners and a pair of descending rings(they only had 2). Then after I left there I stopped in a store called Backwoods. It was about a block and a half away. It's just like REI without the bikes. Talked to a guy there that is a hammocker and he set me up with some tubular webbing and showed me how to rig the hammock with a carabiner through the suspension tunnel and one descending ring per side. Super helpful guys. My wife has created a monster. I'm just kinda glad it's far enough away I can't stop there after work!
    Sounds like you came to KC! We also have a Moosejaw outdoors store up on the Plaza that you absolutely need to check out on your next run this way!

Keep an eye on the "Midwest" section for the upcoming trips. I try to schedule some KC area "hangs", and there are usually one or two being planned for the St Louis area as well.

Come on out and meet some fellow addicts! We're a lousy support group...we'll feed into your addiction, rather than treat it...but let's face it, who wants to be cured anyway!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

BIG trouble

I have two REI stores, a Cabelas, a Sportsmans Warehouse, and several local outdoor stores within 10-30 min. of my house. Not to mention two whitewater rafting shops, and backcountry.com main warehouse. I am in BIG trouble a lot. You know you are in trouble when you get your REI dividend and it's almost triple digits.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Yeah, forgot to mention the Bass Pro and Cabelas that we have here in the KC area too...LOL!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Gas-X is a considerably less expensive solution than sending you our credit cards.
    But is it a sure fire solution? Further testing of Gas-X shows that it only temporarily relieves the symptoms of GAS. And besides how will I acquire any new gear if you don't send me your credit cards. Better safe than sorry...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast