Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sierra Stealth Questions

I'm looking for a 40 degree top and the current sale makes the Sierra Stealth very attractive. I can't tell from the description or pictures, but does anyone know the following:
    1. Does the quilt have a cinch cord at the top of the quilt so you can tighten around your neck?
    2. How well does the opening for the head opening for use as a poncho? Any long term use? I don't imagine ever using that feature and just wonder how it secures.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I'm looking for a 40 degree top and the current sale makes the Sierra Stealth very attractive. I can't tell from the description or pictures, but does anyone know the following:
    1. Does the quilt have a cinch cord at the top of the quilt so you can tighten around your neck?
    2. How well does the opening for the head opening for use as a poncho? Any long term use? I don't imagine ever using that feature and just wonder how it secures.
    Thanks.
    I have one.

1. Yes, and I changed out the stock cordlock with an LED cordlock from firesteel.com. Works well moving around camp, which leads to...
    2. It fits my big head well. I've used it for rest stops along the trail but is is a little more work than pulling out my down hoodie. I avoid it around open fires for obvious reasons. I actually wish my HG Burrow had the head hole, but mainly because I like putting the stealth on in the morning when I get up and start the day. I've used it for about a year and a half. It's not a warm enough quilt for most of my camping but in mid-summer it's fantastic.

If you come up with any other questions, just let me know.

Cheers.
    Brady

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    There is also a snap in the top corners to allow fastening behind the head... New feature, as of a week ago on all JRB top quilts.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've had mine down to 16F, matched with a 20F HG 3/4 UQ, with the addition of appropriate base layers, socks, fleece hood.

That may be a bit extreme for some, but I've done that a couple times now. 20 and above for that set up is a cool breeze, even in porch mode.

Bottom insulation surely counts for a lot concerning the above, but when I've worn the SS like a poncho, I've noticed there's a lot more insulation value there than any jacket I've cared to own.

Great peice of kit! I've never even had to use the neck cinch. It's there, but I've just never been cold enough to consider using it.
    Signature suspended

Thank you everyone. Not many places can get have access to a company owner's perspective/input. Great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    There is also a snap in the top corners to allow fastening behind the head... New feature, as of a week ago on all JRB top quilts.

Pan
    Looks like my timing for an order today would be good!
    Thank you,
    Mike

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Pan
    That's great. I just use the included microbiner. It worked well for behind the head as well as serape mode! Great piece of gear, now if only I lived in a slightly warmer climate...
    Brady

Ordered today and Jack asked if it would be okay if I had it Thursday or if I needed it sooner. Wow! These guys are pros. If the quilt is half the quality of the customer service, then I just ordered one great piece of gear!

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    I sold mine and went back to hooded jackets that I wear all night, or use to enclose the foot end of the hammock. The Stealths are a good idea, especially for SUL weekends, but for 4-5 nights out, not my preference. I tired of constantly tending the excess part that hung towards my cook stove, and worrying about getting the Stealth wet when I was wearing it, or tearing the fabric when I go to water a tree.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Since I usually make a fire, one might think the stealth isnt a good match for me. However worn with a button down wool shirt like a pendleton over it makes for a very warm jacket with natural fire resistance. Perfect combination though I look like a fat woodsman... ok that is true regardless.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast