Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Images

charity, pledges, donations in signature... really?

I just wanted to voice my opinion that the amount of charity, requests for aid, and stuff like this within signatures really seems to be getting out of hand.

Yeah, I can disable them and all that, but so many folks here have cool signatures... but as of late, it seems to just be turned into spam for money fund raising of one type or another.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I cant imagine what it is like in parts of the world without universal health care; but I imagine that when some of these people are standing face to face with a disease, that each bill payment seems like an insurmountable obstacle. At some point they actually do become a wall they just cant pass on their own.

Its at those times that all you can do is ask for help. They are not hurting anyone by doing it. If it bothers you that much that its interfering with few cool quotes and signatures, then I suggest you put the filter on.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I would have to say that the signature section of the forum are not very well regulated. If memory serves me right I have noticed religious, political, buisness, and other information that is not allowed to be posted in the general forums in various signatures. I don't have an opinion ether way, but I figure if some one posted something overly offensive another rule about signatures would have to be put into effect. I feel that more rules are not good. That let the forum be self regulated and have good sense and common decency prevail.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Kindness goes a long way.
    If you are ever in need of true help, you will understand.
    If it offends you, don't read it.
    Negativity surrounds us. A supportive community can do alot to alleviate that.

I for one find the passion and caring here refreshing in a world of chaos.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

... why does it matter? Not meant to be mean, but why wouldn't you just not read them? I think a lot of people think of this as a community and I generally find most of the people here to be more genuine and nice and respectful than most people I deal with day to day in real life. I don't think it should be MY place to judge what someone else does with their profile, sig.. just like in real life if I want to put bumper stickers on my car or put signs in my yard or wear patches on my coat, I wouldn't go to that person and tell them they are getting out of hand... seems a little callous to make public comment on them vs. just filtering them out. You can't have your cake and eat it too :/

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am guessing there are a lot more things that deserve our attention and energy than "requests for charity." Empathic responses and the ability to be such is what separates us from other species. I will not discourage it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

+1 on this...

We are not obliged to help, nor to watch it.....
    And personally i'm not offended by this...

Edit: If my kids was sick and i didn't live in a place with "free" health care - i would reach out for help to....
    And if we can't reach out for help among friends..... then where?
    Last edited by Bomber; 02-23-2011 at 12:17.
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

i agree with you 100 percent.right now i am going thru a rough point in my life.my youngest son age 15 was diagnosed with cancer last month.care and compassion from this cummunity has been positive in our lives,a lot of people here knows my son from the hangouts,he will be 16 in october,the next 6 months of chemotherapy will be the hardest on him.thanks everyone for your care and concernneo

i have never asked anyone for anything on this forum but for prayers
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    It is the same thing as the Military support, politics, religion and such types of posts. There are rules agin it and even if it's with good intentions, breaking the rules only opens the flood gates.

So if you want to allow begging on the forum, well that will have to be in the rules I guess. If you don't want to allow begging, don't. Harm? I don't know. Someone truly in need theres no harm. Problem is I've seen way different levels of what someone thinks they truly NEED. There's a lot of hard feelings passed around when someone with 2 sports cars, wide flat screens, cellphones and every other little luxury in life complains that they can't afford to pay for car or health insurance or can't afford to feed they're child before sending them to school, yet I see that every day.

Neo hasn't begged and his son wouldn't do it either if he wasn't busy kicking cancer's butt.

There's just something off putting to me to run around the world with my hand out. Guess it's just fine with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    I just wanted to voice my opinion that the amount of charity, requests for aid, and stuff like this within signatures really seems to be getting out of hand.

Yeah, I can disable them and all that, but so many folks here have cool signatures... but as of late, it seems to just be turned into spam for money fund raising of one type or another.
    I have all signatures turned off on any website I am on. To me it is just too much crap that has to load esp when pic and links are in them.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast