1.9 SL vs 1.1 DL for DIY

I'm looking to make a custom spec'd hammock that's pretty wide. I don't want seams (ala Doubles). It's tough to find wide fabric - say, anything in the 68-72" range.

Assuming I have comparable sized options so that's not a factor, my next concern is strength and durability. A DL 1.1 supposedly = 2.2, so it should be stronger, but those layers individually are so thin, I'm wondering if they are weaker in the real world.

I'm not just thinking about the weight the hammock will support, but the normal stuff hammocks go through. Moving around in them, stuffing and unstuffing, a little accidental abrasion here and there, etc.

The weight difference is small enough that toughness would be my deciding factor. Anybody have real world experience with these two options? Opinions on which would be a better backcountry hammock as far as durability?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Warbonnet guy, Brandon, has a nice chart on his website you may want to consult as a guide. http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    +1 on the Warbonnet chart. This is the one I look at http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php

My DL 1.5 is done and I hope to hang in it tonight for the first time. I can let you know how that goes but the only point of comparison I have is my DL upholstery fabric hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...I'm not just thinking about the weight the hammock will support, but the normal stuff hammocks go through. Moving around in them, stuffing and unstuffing, a little accidental abrasion here and there, etc....
    Bump for anyone with enough experience to answer the actual question.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My 2 cents: properly cared for hammocks will last many years. If you re concerned about durability, i would go dl1.1, but i could be wrong... it may snag easier than a single 1.9, but damaging one layer of 2 would be less likely to fail...

I don't think it's an issue. If you want to use a pad, go 1.1dl, otherwise go 1.1single....

Your body weight is the biggest factor in choosing an option...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for that GMCTTR. All good replies, however, and they're right - the WB chart is helpful. I still gotta think there's a bunch of folks who actually have both setups, though, and would have definite experiences and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Bump for anyone with enough experience to answer the actual question.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    my 1.0 DL 'feels' more burly than my 1.7 SL.

i also have a GTUL , which strikingly resembles the fabric used on WB's 1.7.
    after 2 years of relatively heavy use, the GTUL is showing some fabric stress, likely due to its purpose, supporting a human.

so, in my eyes... i give my DL more respect when it comes to packing, unpacking, shifting in the hammock etc.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts