Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Also another pack you could throw into the mix is the 2012 GG Miraposa!

Not so sure I totally agree with Dbcorona, the new 2012 redesign of the GG packs make the carry much better than previous versions!

FWIW while load lifters are a great addition, with proper packing (loading) of the pack I have carried upwards of 30# in a frame-less pack (no load lifters)! IMHO load lifters help to position the load that is above the shoulders (in the extension collar) in line with the spine so that it doesn't pull away from the body causing major problems, but, nothing heavy should be up that high so to me (and my packing style) load lifter's are not needed! YMMV, HYOH, IMHO
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    It's cool Cranky. If everybody had the same opinion, things would be really boring. The thing I've had issues with actually starts with waist. Once that shifted (lack of good size hip bones) than everything kind of drags. So lifters on hips and shoulders is my point. The new changes at GG sound promising. It wasn't how it was loaded.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

All good bud, JMO!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MEC Silnylon 9x12
    Insulation
    WB UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    The weight limits and base weights that the manufacturer's list are pretty spot on, one word of caution though in regards to the Ohm is packing it properly is more crucial to carry comfort due to the design of the pack (think frame-less style of packing and it will serve you very well)!

The other three packs you listed outside of the Ohm are very similar, with minor differences like the MLD doesn't come with hip-belt pockets (they must be purchased separately)!

I think for the carry weights you listed and base weight I would drop the Ohm in favor of one of the other three!

All the packs are bomber and will serve you very well I think you just need to look at the feature set of the packs and find the ones you want/need!

For instance the hip-belt pockets, or the width of the shoulder straps (like on the Gorilla), pocket design, top closure method, hip-belt design (width and how it tightens)! As well as other minor details.

Also Ron at MLD will work with you on personal customization, as well as Chris at ULA, mind you Chris will only do this at a particular time of the year, I think September??? Gossamer Gear, you get what you get, with no

Then you have time frame you need this pack???? Gossamer Gear stocks their packs, so if they list it for purchase, they have it in stock, again you get "No" ability to customize with them but they have it in stock not made to order like the others! ULA is second in the shipping department, can take up too a week or so (sometimes faster/sometimes slower depending on order load that Chris has, but you can email him and ask (or call he's a great guy to deal with))! Then there's MLD, Ron clearly state's the wait time's on his site (I think he's up to almost 6 week's now on pack's (possibly longer))!

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide on!

First off I just wanted to thank everyone for the response. I appreciate you all taking the time to provide feedback and help me out in my decisions.

I did a 3 day trip this weekend on the zaleski backpack trail here in Ohio and had some time to reevaluate some of my kit (items I found I didn't use as much as I feel I do. or that are a necessity more than they really are comforts.) One thing was certainly my gransfors bruks forest axe. I know it's crazy but that thing I use more than any cutting tool I have. love it. HOWEVER, although I could keep it and make it work I've decided to let it go. At least for 3-season backpacking. It may come back this winter

As of this weekends reevaluation my base weight is sitting at 13.5 lbs. I guess I've realized there really is a lot I don't NEED. however a few things I will be keeping and a few more things I'll be swapping to further decrease my load.

My 13.5lb base weight is sufficient for 1-5 day 3 season trips. and I think at that level Im leaning toward the Ohm 2.0 or the Gorilla. I may just have to wait until the Ohio hang on the 22nd (where a few HF members will be bringing both) to make my final decision. Either way I'll let you all know what I decide!

Thanks again for all of your advice and suggestions!

Cheers,

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I have a GG Gorilla pack and love it I have been up to 35 lbs with no problem! If you pack your backpack properly then you don't need load lifters! I have tried even the GoLite packs and it's all in how you load everything! I hope this helps.
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post

My 13.5lb base weight is sufficient for 1-5 day 3 season trips. and I think at that level Im leaning toward the Ohm 2.0 or the Gorilla. I may just have to wait until the Ohio hang on the 22nd (where a few HF members will be bringing both) to make my final decision. Either way I'll let you all know what I decide!

Thanks again for all of your advice and suggestions!

Cheers,

The Ohm 2.0 is a great pack, my bud LazyRiver has it and I think the addition of the Circuit belt really adds to the carry ability of the pack! Not so sure the movement of the carbon hoop stay to inside the pack changed anything other than aesthetics???

Yea if you can check out the packs in hand first that would be a great thing!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    The Ohm 2.0 is a great pack, my bud LazyRiver has it and I think the addition of the Circuit belt really adds to the carry ability of the pack! Not so sure the movement of the carbon hoop stay to inside the pack changed anything other than aesthetics???

Yea if you can check out the packs in hand first that would be a great thing!
    Moving the hoop inside should improve rigidity, which in turn might help to transfer weight to the belt. I would expect the ratio of weight on the belt vs weight on the shoulder straps to be greater with the hoop on the inside.

I agree with everyone above. Nothing trumps actually seeing and handling the packs in person. That way you find out how the pack fits YOU, not someone else.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    I have a GG Gorilla pack and love it I have been up to 35 lbs with no problem! If you pack your backpack properly then you don't need load lifters! I have tried even the GoLite packs and it's all in how you load everything! I hope this helps.
    +1 on Gorilla. I have carried up to 33-35 pounds in mine, but that's pushing it to the limit IMO. It's a great pack for the 18-28 pound range, which covers most of my longer trips. Used mine (the prior version to the current one) for three weeks on AT in 2011 - worked great for resupply every 4-6 days for me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I know this pack doesn't have the Gossamer Gear, or ULA name on it, but with the loads you want to carry, with the lifters that you want, and being a similar weight of the above mentioned packs(with its frame sheet removed, giving you 30lbs of carrying capacity), I would have to recommend the Granite Gear Crown 60. Its the successor of the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, a tried and true lightweight workhorse. The Crown 60 is even lighter than the Vapor Trail, only 29 ounces(with the frame sheet removed, 38 ounces with it, giving you 5 extra pounds of carrying capacity). With its frame sheet and lineloc compression system, the Crown 60 can be used for a day pack or a thru-hikers pack with just a few minutes of configuration. Just my 2 cents...

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    I have the Ohm 2.0 and like it alot. My BW is around 13lbs and I find it to be a very comfortable pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast