Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Wow, thanks for the info! How is the stability? I'm really tempted to keep an eye out for one of these for use with my BMBH.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the info! How is the stability? I'm really tempted to keep an eye out for one of these for use with my BMBH.
    The center of gravity is higher but I do not feel like it is tippy. Really gives a nice view out the side bug nets.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    OK, I went out and got the same model neo-air mattress based on the comments in this thread. What a difference! WOW!!! Yes, center of gravity is higher and it is slightly less stable, but not unmanageable. Best part is that there is NO repeat NO shoulder squeeze. I attribute the good points on this to the design of the neo-air with the air tubes going from side to side (unlike old inflateable airmattresses that go from head to toe. The mattress just fits the underside pocket, although the material of the mattress does not slide easily.

I'll be takeing this setup with me on my Hudson Valley bike ride this coming week (31 July - 5 August). I hope to find suitable sites to hammock. That is not always easy since the bike tours like to use schools or open parks where you can pitch lots of tents in limited space.

I hope to take photos and report back on my experiance.

VATriker

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    Practice pitching it on the ground. It's really easy once you get the hang of it and it you use trekking poles you should be able to pitch your tarp too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VATriker View Post
    OK, I went out and got the same model neo-air mattress based on the comments in this thread. What a difference! WOW!!! Yes, center of gravity is higher and it is slightly less stable, but not unmanageable. Best part is that there is NO repeat NO shoulder squeeze. I attribute the good points on this to the design of the neo-air with the air tubes going from side to side (unlike old inflateable airmattresses that go from head to toe. The mattress just fits the underside pocket, although the material of the mattress does not slide easily.

I'll be takeing this setup with me on my Hudson Valley bike ride this coming week (31 July - 5 August). I hope to find suitable sites to hammock. That is not always easy since the bike tours like to use schools or open parks where you can pitch lots of tents in limited space.

I hope to take photos and report back on my experiance.

VATriker
    This has been a very enlightening thread. Do either of you guys so far notice any comfort decrease compared to using this hammock with no pad? I realize- as I already realized with my own pad/BMBH experiments, that some aspects of comfort ( shoulder room and overall width) can actually improve.

But have you noticed any negatives comfort wise compared to no pad at all? Have either of you slept over night with this pad/hammock combo yet? You know, some folks sweat terrible using pads in hammocks. Others feel a pad interferes with the way hammock fabric comtours to your body, decresing comfort even if still way better than a pad on the ground. Any problems with either of those areas?

Are you going to have any cold spots ( elbows maybe?) with this 25" wide pad?

One thing: however cold you might be able to go with this 4.7 R factor pad, if you needed more it would be a simple matter of adding a 1/8--- 1/4 to 1/2" piece of CCF under the Neoair. Probably just torso length and maybe only 20" wide would be needed. Doing that, I suspect you could take this hammock to just about any temperature that might be encountered. But, a good question is: how low will the 4.7R Neoair take a person?

EDIT: R value is 4.9
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-26-2012 at 17:43.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I too am really liking this thread .. keep the positives and negatives coming .. I was on the phone with Jack {PeterPan} discussing this hammock .. I plan on using this for a deep winter hike .. looking at temps as low as -40*F .. so I'll utilize a pad .. the Exped Downmat 9 with an R8 value coupled with an UQ. .. I want a pad for the possibility of a blizzard condition ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

pad & quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    ...looking at temps as low as -40*F .. so I'll utilize a pad .. the Exped Downmat 9 with an R8 value coupled with an UQ. .. I want a pad for the possibility of a blizzard condition ..
    My experience carrying that pad and using with an UQ (with a DL gathered end) is that there was essentially no benefit to using both together. Sounds to me that the bridge is perfect for that sort of pad. The Exped 9dlx pad is SO warm, you likely won't need, or want, anything else. The UQ could help cut down on wind convection, but that would probably work better with a light, thin closed cell on bottom. But, then, I don't know how much else you can get in the pad sleeve with that pad - which is thicker and wider than the Neo.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I just took a mid-morning nap in a bridge hammock. Good to see yours all rigged up and ready to go!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, I just got back from a few days up on the Superior Hiking Trail in Northern Minnesota and used this set up. It worked great, and had a nice 45 degree night on Friday - Saturday and was very warm under me using the Neo Air all season, and did not feel any hint of a cold spots. Could easily have gone lower, so it will be interesting to test in a few months. As for comparing it using it with or without a the pad I think it very subjective and will vary by user. The BMBH is comfortable both ways, and is completely flat, but for me, using the pad is the only way to go. I just like the room it gives and softness of the air pad. The way the neoair is built with the horizontal air baffles like VATriker mentioned and being 2.5" thick filled with air all combined with the design of the BMBH makes for the perfect set up for me at least. It is really fool proof, the pad stays in one spot, and if I have to go to the ground, there is no problems.

I attached a few photos of my hang on my trip, and one of the BMBH in it's bag. Keep in mind that the neoair never leaves the pad pocket, I just deflate and roll it all back up and still fits into the original BMBH bag (the tree straps are also in the bag).

Like Billybob mentioned, one may have issue with there arms bumping into the sidewalls above the pad at night if it is real cold since the pad is only bellow you. It all would depend on how wide ones shoulders are. The walls are held out the width of the pad (25"), so if you can stay within that width, and do not bump the sides, it should work. I think you could easily have some small CCF wings at the arm locations if it became an issue. I will report back this fall as temps start dropping here in Minnesota and update with my results.

thanks,
    Chewy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post

I attached a few photos of my hang on my trip, and one of the BMBH in it's bag. Keep in mind that the neoair never leaves the pad pocket, I just deflate and roll it all back up and still fits into the original BMBH bag (the tree straps are also in the bag).
    Pretty amazing!

Like Billybob mentioned, one may have issue with there arms bumping into the sidewalls above the pad at night if it is real cold since the pad is only bellow you. It all would depend on how wide ones shoulders are. The walls are held out the width of the pad (25"), so if you can stay within that width, and do not bump the sides, it should work. I think you could easily have some small CCF wings at the arm locations if it became an issue. ......

thanks,
    Chewy
    And maybe CCF would only be needed for one side(if at all), you could just scrunch up against the one side and most likely the other side would never make contact except for the really broad shouldered.

You know, I think I am about ready to order one of these. Definitely if I see a good price somewhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast