Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Nope... The one I'm talking about is a short trail in the Pine Mountain Recreation Area just north of Atlanta. Doubt it would even show up on a search.

I think GH is right on the money - a 4 hour drive (unless you drive pretty fast) barely gets you out of the Coastal Plain and into the Piedmont and definitely no where near the Blue Ridge and Valley and Ridge. Not much elevation change down there. If you can expand your drive to 6 or 7 (or even 8) hours and your options for longer trails and greater elevation changes increase significantly.
    Yep, GH probably is. It was worth asking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodad View Post
    Farther than you want to drive maybe, but one for another day is Standing Indian Campground, west of Franklin, NC. Several loop options with elevation changes and creekside walking part of the way. ALso, a good loop in GA is the Coosa Backcountry Trail (Vogel State Park) which you can lengthen to connect with the AT and Duncan Ridge trails.
    Thanks for the suggestion! It is a wee bit further than I'm looking for, but it's a good one to keep in mind for a longer trip.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post

Cumby has definitely been recommended to me, especially by a couple of folks I work with. It's definitely on my list of "places to see", but I'm looking for a more strenuous hike. I want to test myself against the elevation change more than the sand; I have sand I can walk in right here .

I appreciate the suggestion, though; if you'd like a fellow hanger along come January, feel free to PM me.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'm always hanging solo, be nice to have company.

Coosa is up in my neck of the woods. Did that one last January, nice trail. Did it the recommended direction, didn't think it was as tough as everyone makes it out to be.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'm always hanging solo, be nice to have company.

Coosa is up in my neck of the woods. Did that one last January, nice trail. Did it the recommended direction, didn't think it was as tough as everyone makes it out to be.
    "Coosa"? Haven't heard of that one. Are you talking about the Coosawatta River?

Images
    This is the one near Columbus, Calloway Gardens and the more southern Pine Mountain:

http://www.gastateparks.org/FDRoosevelt

At 9,049 acres, Georgia’s largest state park is a hiker’s and backpacker’s haven. More than 40 miles of trails, including the popular 23-mile Pine Mountain Trail, wind through hardwood and pines, over creeks and past small waterfalls. Many visitors are surprised to find rolling mountains 80 miles southeast of Atlanta. Above King’s Gap is Dowdell’s Knob where President Franklin D. Roosevelt sometimes picnicked and pondered world affairs. A life-size sculpture of the president now welcomes visitors to the overlook.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    "Coosa"? Haven't heard of that one. Are you talking about the Coosawatta River?
    No, the Coosa Backcountry Trail. Someone else mentioned it. It's a 12 mile loop that connects with the DRT so you can make it as long as you want. If you decide to extend your range this far north the Georgia Loop is a good one. Plenty of elevation and I believe it's about 50 miles.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up Cumberland Island....

Yes, Cumberland is beautiful, but definitely wait until November to go. We have gone and camped the entire week of Thanksgiving a couple of times before and it was great. No problem that time of year with the usual coastal insects trying to drain you of your blood supply or bite and rip chunks of flesh from exposed areas. The ferry will carry you to the Ranger office right by the dock on Cumberland, you must go through their do's and don'ts presentation before getting your campsite assigned. They also have some cold (freshwater) water showers there that make life pleasant. Soothing to lie in your hammock and hear the waves breaking all night long.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    This is the one near Columbus, Calloway Gardens and the more southern Pine Mountain:

http://www.gastateparks.org/FDRoosevelt
    Thanks! That was the one I was looking at. It looks like the PMT might be my best bet thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    No, the Coosa Backcountry Trail. Someone else mentioned it. It's a 12 mile loop that connects with the DRT so you can make it as long as you want. If you decide to extend your range this far north the Georgia Loop is a good one. Plenty of elevation and I believe it's about 50 miles.
    Ah. Thanks. I looked it up; it's at the edge of my driving distance, but I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBee View Post
    Yes, Cumberland is beautiful, but definitely wait until November to go. We have gone and camped the entire week of Thanksgiving a couple of times before and it was great. No problem that time of year with the usual coastal insects trying to drain you of your blood supply or bite and rip chunks of flesh from exposed areas. The ferry will carry you to the Ranger office right by the dock on Cumberland, you must go through their do's and don'ts presentation before getting your campsite assigned. They also have some cold (freshwater) water showers there that make life pleasant. Soothing to lie in your hammock and hear the waves breaking all night long.
    Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to have that as one of my destinations for a while now. I'm thinking maybe over Christmas break or New Years would be a good time to go; I should have three-day weekends both of those weeks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123