Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Looks like you've done your research! Good luck hanging, and be sure to let us know how it turned out.

Welcome from eastbound and down!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Howdy from Texas!

Hammock
    DIY nylon
    Tarp
    DIY nylon
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, pad
    Suspension
    DIY tree huggers
    Welcome Brother from East TN. Sounds like you've got a good plan. Everything I'm using is DIY so, with that in mind, when it comes to your DIY gear... Come on in boys, the water's fine!!

Trip Report - Kisatchie Bayou

I love the Red Dirt area.
    I'm finding I like it as well. I keep finding out about more and more things to do in the area and the landscape is beautiful and uncharacteristic for the state.

Well, I left late and made with just enough time to set up camp before the sun went down. I cooked and ate dinner before hanging out with the only other people in camp, a group of four backpackers. They offered up some good gear advice and some hilarious stories that always seemed to center on the pain and suffering of the older two in the group.

I stayed pretty warm through the night despite the temps dipping to around 28f. I woke, cooked breakfast, and fought off a patch of quicksand(no lie) as I enjoyed my morning coffee.

After packing up I headed down to see what the guys from the night before were up to, and found they had saved me an egg and some bacon. The extra food was an absolute godsend after my puny breakfast. They gave me a lift to the opposite end of the trail so I could hike towards my car rather than double back at some point. It was good to be able to see the entire trail. I ended up making the whole hike in about 6.5 hours rather than stopping and hanging on the trail.

I decided to head home instead of staying the second night since I was more tired than expected. I've never hiked that far in a day, and I certainly haven't ever carried full kit around like that.

Amsteel and webbing were in the mailbox when I got back, so I now have two whoopies about 5 feet long, two 7 foot tree strap, and two soft shackles. Woo!

Any cool doo-dads to make out of webbing? I've got about 7 feet left.

Long story short I had a lot of fun, and now know about how far I can make it in a day which was a goal for this weekend. I am however pretty sore, but I guess that means I should do this more often and get used to it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

-Jim

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh065 View Post
    I'm finding I like it as well. I keep finding out about more and more things to do in the area and the landscape is beautiful and uncharacteristic for the state.

Well, I left late and made with just enough time to set up camp before the sun went down. I cooked and ate dinner before hanging out with the only other people in camp, a group of four backpackers. They offered up some good gear advice and some hilarious stories that always seemed to center on the pain and suffering of the older two in the group.

I stayed pretty warm through the night despite the temps dipping to around 28f. I woke, cooked breakfast, and fought off a patch of quicksand(no lie) as I enjoyed my morning coffee.

After packing up I headed down to see what the guys from the night before were up to, and found they had saved me an egg and some bacon. The extra food was an absolute godsend after my puny breakfast. They gave me a lift to the opposite end of the trail so I could hike towards my car rather than double back at some point. It was good to be able to see the entire trail. I ended up making the whole hike in about 6.5 hours rather than stopping and hanging on the trail.

I decided to head home instead of staying the second night since I was more tired than expected. I've never hiked that far in a day, and I certainly haven't ever carried full kit around like that.

Amsteel and webbing were in the mailbox when I got back, so I now have two whoopies about 5 feet long, two 7 foot tree strap, and two soft shackles. Woo!

Any cool doo-dads to make out of webbing? I've got about 7 feet left.

Long story short I had a lot of fun, and now know about how far I can make it in a day which was a goal for this weekend. I am however pretty sore, but I guess that means I should do this more often and get used to it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

-Jim
    Great trip report! Did you have to fight any RUSs ?

A piece of advice from someone that started backpacking this year: take the gear you took with you and separate it into three piles: the stuff you used the whole trip (include your first-aid, repair, and emergency kits in this one), the stuff you used only occasionally, and the stuff you didn't use. Take the stuff you didn't use (not including your first-aid, repair, and emergency kits), and set it aside the next time you go. See how you do.

If you do that three or four times, you'll likely drop an amazing amount of pack weight, and that six-and-an-half miles will feel a lot shorter. At least, that's been my experience.

As far as the webbing goes, you can always make a strap to hold your pack against a tree. It makes the pack easier to get into and out of, since you don't have to balance it upright while trying to root through all of your stuff. You could always make a belt out of the stuff, too.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    That isn't bad time considering the terrain there. The best part of the Backbone trail is the outlook that isn't on the maps. You kind of need to go off trail but its at the top of the biggest hill right before you do the rock scramble down. I have been there but have yet to hang there but its on my list of places. Its a great overlook with a really step drop off.

Sounds like you had a great hike. Also great job on the gear choice, those temps are pretty darn low. What was your pack weight if you don't mind me asking?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge KAQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie/Straps
    Hello there from just north of ya.

I actually went to school at LaTech for a year, so I'm no stranger to Ruston.

See if you can make it out to the Louisiana and/or Arkansas hangs!

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Great trip report! Did you have to fight any RUSs ?

A piece of advice from someone that started backpacking this year: take the gear you took with you and separate it into three piles: the stuff you used the whole trip (include your first-aid, repair, and emergency kits in this one), the stuff you used only occasionally, and the stuff you didn't use. Take the stuff you didn't use (not including your first-aid, repair, and emergency kits), and set it aside the next time you go. See how you do.

As far as the webbing goes, you can always make a strap to hold your pack against a tree.
    RUSs?

I think I used nearly everything in my pack this go around with the exception of some food products. Most of my pack weight is currently tied up in my pack, sleeping bag, and tarp. Hopefully I can move into a new sleeping bag and tarp soon.

I like that strap idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    That isn't bad time considering the terrain there. The best part of the Backbone trail is the outlook that isn't on the maps. You kind of need to go off trail but its at the top of the biggest hill right before you do the rock scramble down. I have been there but have yet to hang there but its on my list of places. Its a great overlook with a really step drop off.

Sounds like you had a great hike. Also great job on the gear choice, those temps are pretty darn low. What was your pack weight if you don't mind me asking?
    In regards to that terrain, I was actually on the much milder but slightly longer Caroline Dormon trail. An overnight on the backbone will probably be next unless i can make it to the La group hang. I'll have to make sure I test out that hang site for you.

Ah, pack weight... I actually have no idea because the only scale I have is a tiny spring type kitchen scale that I don't trust. I'd never get any of the big stuff on it anyhow. I'm thinking 30 or 35 with food and 2.5 liters of water, however, I'm a bad judge of these things and could be way off. I'll look into a fishing scale or something sometime soon.

Bear in mind that while I was comfortable, I was really scraping by at the threshold of the setup with all of my clothes on(including rain jacket). A few degrees cooler and it would have been hard to get to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by TehNoff View Post
    Hello there from just north of ya.

I actually went to school at LaTech for a year, so I'm no stranger to Ruston.

See if you can make it out to the Louisiana and/or Arkansas hangs!
    Yeah Tech is a pretty cool place and I'm definitely looking into those hangs!

-Jim

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh065 View Post
    RUSs?
    -Jim
    "Rodents of Unusual Size" (Princess Bride reference, sorry), to go along with the quicksand!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast