Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Nylon Fabric (not ripstop)

I've done some searching and can't make heads or tails, so now I get to ask the amazing DIY community

My question starts here (as long and complicated as I can make it), a lot of people here prefer the ripstop fabrics, but is there really a big difference in quality/durability if the fabric is just a nylon fabric without the ripstop in it? This thread talks about my question, but doesn't answer it fully. I'm a lightweight weighing in at a whopping 145lbs (on a good/heavy day) meaning that I could use the 1.1oz ripstop for a hammock just fine, but would there be a problem with using a similar denier non ripstop fabric? What if we upped the non ripstop nylon to 70D?

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I have poked holes in a couple ripstop hammocks and the hole didn't spread even a year later. (Things in my pockets). If it wasn't rip stop, the hole may have turned into a tear leaving my butt on the ground. As far as i could tell the 1.1 rip stop (30d) would be lighter than 70d tafetta or other similar nylon fabric. Is your issue not finding rip stop? Do you already have something else on hand? I am 220 on a light day and i currently use 70d - 1.9oz ripstop but I also have a 1.1oz hammock that I am comfy in and had quite a few cozy nights in without incident. I don't see any problem with trying out what you have. Hang low the first couple times and make sure everything is out of your pockets
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO the ripstop pattern is not a factor for hammock use. I can tear ripstop with my hands if the selvage is cut. Ripstop was designed for garment use not weight bearing. You'll get different answers to this question depending on who answers it. That's mine and I'm sticking to it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO the ripstop pattern is not a factor for hammock use. I can tear ripstop with my hands if the selvage is cut. Ripstop was designed for garment use not weight bearing. You'll get different answers to this question depending on who answers it. That's mine and I'm sticking to it.
    Agreed. Many of the commercial hammocks are made with non-ripstop nylons and polyesters.

There are also lots of hangers using the non-ripstop crinkle taffeta polyester.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I have one made of non rip stop and one made of the taffeta... No issues up to 240lbs...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear. The real reason for the non ripstop is I'm a cheap-wad. Ripstop around here so far as I can find within a good 20 miles is Joann's at about $8 a yard, and no 1.1oz

Anyway thanks again, I think I'll go for it and if I have any problems I'll post again later.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchi1d View Post
    Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear. The real reason for the non ripstop is I'm a cheap-wad. Ripstop around here so far as I can find within a good 20 miles is Joann's at about $8 a yard, and no 1.1oz

Anyway thanks again, I think I'll go for it and if I have any problems I'll post again later.
    Minus buying in bulk, some of the best prices for 1.1 ripstop that I've seen are at our very own sclittlefield's DIY Gear Supply (link is to their breathable fabrics page; scroll down to "1.1 oz Ripstop Nylon 2nds" for the best price). His shipping is always reasonable, and he is a wonder on customer service.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchi1d View Post

I agree with DIY Gear Supply.

Joann's nylon ripstop is 1.9 oz. .....40%-50% off coupons are usually available for Joann's and is the only way to buy there.

http://joannfabricscoupons.net/

• + New Posts