Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Chose

Thats why when you come home for two weeks in the middle of the tour you drink your self senseless, ie 300 some bar tab. :P so this is what I am thinking two options......1) A HH ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM with the JB blankets for warmth, and no sleeping bag or 2) Speer III with peapod, with a light top blanket when it is to warm for the whole bag. Man I love being bored poking around on the internet for hours.
    Last edited by Armyhiker; 08-03-2007 at 10:47.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Poking around is fun, but as I can attest; expensive.

Both hammocks are great choices, but they really do get to be a matter of personal preference. If there is anyway possible, try to test a few out before you buy. Easier said than done, I know. The good news is you'll probably be thrilled with just about anything the first time.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    AH: I'm curious-- Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard? Also, did you rule out the Claytor line of hammocks, and if so why?

I have a TC Jungle Hammock and I think it's great, but a lot of people swear by the Hennessey.

Nails
    CPT, USAR

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Poking around is fun, but as I can attest; expensive.
    no kidding. Try outfitting for progeny to boot! And then get bitten by the DIY bug and decide that what you need to do is starting making your hammocks as well.

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    AH: I'm curious-- Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard? Also, did you rule out the Claytor line of hammocks, and if so why?
    CPT, USAR
    hey nails...Active duty, 1st cav fort hood texas, the reason i did not even think of em is the fact that there were just to many choices to be made and it overwhelmed me so i chose the two most popular brands and started working with em. Ill check out claytor. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    no kidding. Try outfitting for progeny to boot! And then get bitten by the DIY bug and decide that what you need to do is starting making your hammocks as well.

Grizz
    At last count: 2 camping hammocks (with netting), 1 ENO Singlenest, 1 Traveller, 1 hammock company brazilian, 3 DIY hammocks, and a partridge in a pear tree.

AND that's just hammocks! I've got 3 tarps at this point, half a dozen suspension set-ups, and I don't even know how many stuff sacks! It is an addiction!

Does anyone know why the HH is so highly recommended and loved? What makes it better then all other brands?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Name recognition. It was one of the first ones out there to flirt with the mainstream. The "structural ridgeline" is a wonderful concept and makes setting-up the hammock very easy. Combined with the fact that it is very comfortable (to most), causes the HH to be a choice hammock.

However, you can do almost anything you want to any hammock out there. Most people here put ridgelines (structural or otherwise) on their DIY hammocks and hammocks that don't come with a ridgeline. Hennessy makes a great product, but you'll find many people prefer to deal with a cottage industry business. The Speers make a great product too and they do demos on a pretty regular basis. Don't forget about the Warbonnet, which I really like these days.

This could go on forever. There are too many to name, which is exactly why you need to get in a couple and see which works best for you. Won't keep you from building a collection of them anyway, but it may make you feel better about it.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyhiker View Post
    Does anyone know why the HH is so highly recommended and loved? What makes it better then all other brands?
    It's not that it's better than the other brands. It's kinda like this. Mcdonalds sells the most hamburgers in the world (I assume) cause they have the most outlets. Does'nt mean they are the best hamburgers in the world. Tom Hennessy was probably the first person to mass produce his hammocks and emphasize the advantages of this style of camping. I own a couple of Hennessy hammocks and they are very nice. Also own a Speer which is nice. My homemade hammock may be even more comfy. Laid in an ENO before and it felt great.
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    armyhiker, welcome and thank you for your service
    i want to throw a challenge to the diy'rs here.....why don't you guys send a care package to him containing hammocks for him to try out in iraq?
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast